Home tools that can bend Acrylic sheet

UnknownGuyAround

Hello, I'm going to do a PSU shroud but I don't have a heat gun or the expensive acrylic bender, what home tools can I use to achieve in bending acrylic glass?

Thank you!

The cheapest way to produce heat in my opinion then would be a hair dryer, which you could maybe borrow from someone. Even then though, it may not produce enough heat. Don't try using a lighter or something like that, because it would likely leave burn marks from being too focused of a heat source.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

12 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

The cheapest way to produce heat in my opinion then would be a hair dryer

I mean you could use a hairdryer, but not only would it take forever but depending on the acrylic it might not even bend that well. You'd be much better served by a proper heatgun. You can buy those fairly cheaply online. So if you want to do some quality work, then I would suggest buying (and using) a heatgun.

and when i say this i mean it 100%, and i have used it myself!

a bread toaster

now every toaster is different, so you will have to get a feeling for it i guess

i did some tests runs with mine first to get a feel on how hot it gets and how close you can put the acrylic.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

6 hours ago, UnknownGuyAround said:

Thanks for the answers guys. :) 

Just get yourself a cheap heatgun so you can do it properly from the first time. :)

22 hours ago, UnknownGuyAround said:

Thanks for the answers guys. :) 

As said you will need a heat gun to do so, but check your local plastics supplier to see if they also do fabrication. Most places don't charge very much for a sheet of acrylic and a simple 90 degree bend. 

Get two blocks of square or rectangle timber and screw one down, whack the acrylic in the oven on a flat tray at a lowish heat until it starts to get plyable, then bend it into shape with the other bit of timber to get a crisp bend

I make intelligent lights do cool things

On 10/07/2018 at 12:11 PM, wildthing said:

and when i say this i mean it 100%, and i have used it myself!

a bread toaster

now every toaster is different, so you will have to get a feeling for it i guess

i did some tests runs with mine first to get a feel on how hot it gets and how close you can put the acrylic.

Very useful info.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL