Whoosh - The Airplane and Airline Thread

handymanshandle
15 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If there's just one passenger aircraft you'd want to bring back, what would it be and why?

Dassault Mercure or MD-11 or earlier 747s

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Concorde so I could fly supersonic, or so it could go to airshows.

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

On 12/08/2018 at 7:19 PM, saif96 said:

whats it like to work in a airport?

my aunt is trying to help me find a job after i graduate, she asked her friend if she can help find me a job, luckily she said that her job in the Etihad airport are looking for young graduate men and she said that hopefully it'll be easy for me to get in.

this really made me happy its always been my dream to work in a airport since the workplace is very clean and its 5 minutes from my house, and i heard that they give out high discounts to family members that wants to travel which is amazing!

im not really sure what to do though, i have 2 more semsters left at collage i really wanna idleast get the experience i need but what do you think my job would be in a airport? im getting a bachelor for media and communication but my aunt says that all you need is a university degree which im close in getting.

what do you think my job could be? how is it like working an a airport?

I work at the airport.
and its a mixed bag really.

I LOVE my job. Im a Cargo Handler and I build pallets for KLM/Air France/British Airways
I basically play Tetris with cargo and its tons of fun imo. and I can drive a forklift like you've never seen xD 

But there are some drawbacks. 
Its not as high pay as you might think.
Its hard work. you don't get to sit in an AC cooled room all day.
Hours can be insane
depending on the job the stress level can be Extreme. (Go to bed every night wondering if you flight number will appear on the news the next morning)
You are relied upon for a lot of stuff and. well. for other people's too. because I guarantee you 
YOU WILL WORK WITH MORONS
Its a FACT
there's no way around it. People here are FAR from college graduates.
Some might not even speak [Insert native tongue]. 

If you work on the ground, be ready for some extreme conditions. there's nothing stopping the wind on the tarmac.

Its really cool though. + I get to take amazing photos of airplanes xD 

Spoiler

Spoiler to make it look smaller.

Thing is. its really crazy sometimes. I mean, Each workday there's so much stuff happening I could write a small book every damn day about what happened and NEVER REPEAT MYSELF

Its that crazy sometimes.
Companies mostly don't care (Exept some and the Airlines)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

to my op I think it's pretty clear that the first flight thing changed from probably being American, to probably being Delta. I can tolerate crappy customer service but some of the videos I've seen with American, holy crap lol

Also Delta, going down I'll almost always be going on a 737-900ER from Minneapolis to Atlanta and to Huntsville from Atlanta on a 717 or even MD-88 occasionally which I'd love to get a ride on the "og" in a sense. Now the real OG is the DC-9 but uh those are rarely in service, let alone in the US by any major US carrier.

@Dan Castellaneta wants me to get a 717 for FSX since I got bored and did a couple direct flights from MSP to HSV on a 737 and an A321 lol but tbh I kinda wanna get Xplane 11 and then a good 717 for that sim since Im not aware about any option that allows for the aircraft to have a fsx copy and an xplane copy.

I really like those Dual Scimitars lol

81584_1497726450.jpg

Although Delta flies 757s up to Minneapolis from Atlanta, so I kinda wanna take a flight on one of those but also one of the A321neos if those start ATL-MSP service relatively soon.
Delta and Hawaiian both chose Pratt and Whitney PW1000G engines and because of the A220 (formerly CSeries) I'm a bit of a fan of those engines. I guess sorta like fans of the GE90 on the 777.

Although Delta isn't expected to get their first A321neo until early 2020. The bulk of my flying will be next year probably :^(

On 8/17/2018 at 5:37 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

If there's just one passenger aircraft you'd want to bring back, what would it be and why?

I'm going to say the De Havilland buffalo, while it technically around I wish it saw more use because is special and is useful in some parts of the world.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I was on the fence of starting another thread but I figured it's still related to this unless a mod gives me the okay to start another thread I feel like it's related to this but anyways....

*cough* @Crunchy Dragon

What are some places you'd like to travel/fly to?
It can be with in your country any country and do you have any reasons for that?

Other than flying to Huntsville to see @Dan Castellaneta a few times :^ though the plan is to eventually move down there lol
Other places I think it'd be cool to fly to would probably be Japan for some of the amazing views in the country and maybe Warsaw to see some historical stuff

The problem with my response: my plan would be all about the aircraft. I might fly to Germany so I could travel via Lufthansa 747, or to Russia to fly on some old and very cool soviet plane, or somewhere long distance via 787. I guess I'd consider a car destination as well, maybe the Nurburgring in Germany. A completely unrelated destination would be Sweden. I don't know a ton about it, I just know that it's not super touristy and there seems to be a lot of woodland, so pretty much ideal for me.

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

7 minutes ago, OJTheAviator said:

The problem with my response: my plan would be all about the aircraft. I might fly to Germany so I could travel via Lufthansa 747, or to Russia to fly on some old and very cool soviet plane, or somewhere long distance via 787. I guess I'd consider a car destination as well, maybe the Nurburgring in Germany. A completely unrelated destination would be Sweden. I don't know a ton about it, I just know that it's not super touristy and there seems to be a lot of woodland, so pretty much ideal for me.

Yeah I'd probably get to Warsaw via a Lufthansa 747 though it might be hard to coordinate being able to catch an Air Baltic flight from Frankfurt to Warsaw and the Lufthansa 747 flight

It could very well end up being a night arrival into Frankfurt and spending the night there to catch an AirBaltic flight to Warsaw in the morning lol

5 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Yeah I'd probably get to Warsaw via a Lufthansa 747 though it might be hard to coordinate being able to catch an Air Baltic flight from Frankfurt to Warsaw and the Lufthansa 747 flight

It could very well end up being a night arrival into Frankfurt and spending the night there to catch an AirBaltic flight to Warsaw in the morning lol

Hell even doing it the long way, fly to Japan from the US with Lufthansa. I imagine it'd be IAD to FRA on a 747-8i and I dunno if that's what they'd fly to Japan or if they'd use something else.

12 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

What are some places you'd like to travel/fly to?
It can be with in your country any country and do you have any reasons for that?

That would be a pretty interesting thread.

I think that would be fine as a standalone thread.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That would be a pretty interesting thread.

I think that would be fine as a standalone thread.

Yeah, I'd prob go to Sweden, never been and want to

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want this thread to die lol

So I'm gonna talk about Southwest and budget airlines in general...

It's sorta interesting, I found flights from Minneapolis to Atlanta for under $100 on Southwest.
Right around $86 to be exact...

Then I could fly on a Delta 717 for another $200 almost to Huntsville to see @Dan Castellaneta ;) or he could catch a 717 to Atlanta to meet up with me :P

If I wasn't making as much money or had a serious itch to see him and flying main or comfort+ on delta wasnt cheap enough.

Just now, pinksnowbirdie said:

I don't want this thread to die lol

So I'm gonna talk about Southwest and budget airlines in general...

It's sorta interesting, I found flights from Minneapolis to Atlanta for under $100 on Southwest.
Right around $86 to be exact...

Then I could fly on a Delta 717 for another $200 almost to Huntsville to see @Dan Castellaneta ;) or he could catch a 717 to Atlanta to meet up with me :P

If I wasn't making as much money or had a serious itch to see him and flying main or comfort+ on delta wasnt cheap enough.

I kinda wished Southwest had the option for the 737MAX to Atlanta from Minneapolis though. Right now it's mostly 737-700 with some 737-800s. But I suppose they don't have too many 737MAXs yet.

On 9/2/2018 at 10:34 PM, pinksnowbirdie said:

I kinda wished Southwest had the option for the 737MAX to Atlanta from Minneapolis though. Right now it's mostly 737-700 with some 737-800s. But I suppose they don't have too many 737MAXs yet.

Oh I was looking at JetBlue and yeah they're a bit more expensive and I'd have to have a layover in Boston lol

On 9/7/2018 at 12:55 PM, pinksnowbirdie said:

Oh I was looking at JetBlue and yeah they're a bit more expensive and I'd have to have a layover in Boston lol

thats odd, southwest normally hops across the county. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

thats odd, southwest normally hops across the county. 

Yeah unfortunately they don't fly to Huntsville.

They do fly to Atlanta.

Gee... I wonder where they got that clip?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

For those who don't know, B-HNL (formally N7771) was ferried from Xiamen to Hong Kong, then Hong Kong to Tucson yesterday to be displayed at the Pima Air & Space Museum. This air frame was the first 777 prototype which first flew on June 12, 1994. It was then refitted with RR Trent 877s, replacing the original PW power-plants before joining Cathay Pacific in the year 2000. Nice to see this piece of history being displayed for every one to enjoy rather than ending up in a scrapheap. 

1200x1200

Source: Cathay Pacific

https://news.cathaypacific.com/cathay-pacific-boeing-to-donate-world-s-1st-777-to-aviation-museum

On a lighter note, staying with Cathay Pacific, they've just released a new livery...well sort of. A mistake was made during the repaint of B-HNO, a 777-367. This joins B-KPV in being the two aircraft in Cathay Pacific's fleet with botched new livery jobs. But unlike KPV, HNO is going to be heading back to the paint shop in Xiamen to be fixed. 

B-KPV still has its crooked brushwings to this day. And yes, it's the same on the other side. 

Image result for B-KPV

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

19 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

For those who don't know, B-HNL (formally N7771) was ferried from Xiamen to Hong Kong, then Hong Kong to Tucson yesterday to be displayed at the Pima Air & Space Museum. This air frame was the first 777 prototype which first flew on June 12, 1994. It was then refitted with RR Trent 877s, replacing the original PW power-plants before joining Cathay Pacific in the year 2000. Nice to see this piece of history being displayed for every one to enjoy rather than ending up in a scrapheap. 

1200x1200

Source: Cathay Pacific

https://news.cathaypacific.com/cathay-pacific-boeing-to-donate-world-s-1st-777-to-aviation-museum

On a lighter note, staying with Cathay Pacific, they've just released a new livery...well sort of. A mistake was made during the repaint of B-HNO, a 777-367. This joins B-KPV in being the two aircraft in Cathay Pacific's fleet with botched new livery jobs. But unlike KPV, HNO is going to be heading back to the paint shop in Xiamen to be fixed. 

B-KPV still has its crooked brushwings to this day. And yes, it's the same on the other side. 

Image result for B-KPV

interesting

I want to get back into flying but my current schedule makes it so hard. I should tho call the place and book most of November on the weekends.  

32 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I want to get back into flying but my current schedule makes it so hard. I should tho call the place and book most of November on the weekends.  

I sorta wanna try and get a PPL but I wanna lose some weight first. I'm 328 right now, lost 30lbs since I quit my job last December.

I'd love to fly the big ass planes but I dont wanna be a commercial pilot so maybe GA twin engine planes will have to do, or I'll roll in enough dough that I could afford a HondaJet or a Cirrus Vision but not enough dough to buy something like a BBJ2 or a ACJ320neo lol

1 minute ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

I sorta wanna try and get a PPL but I wanna lose some weight first. I'm 328 right now, lost 30lbs since I quit my job last December.

yeah, well my struggle is being 6'2'' 152s don't work for me. 

2 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

I'd love to fly the big ass planes but I dont wanna be a commercial pilot so maybe GA twin engine planes will have to do, or I'll roll in enough dough that I could afford a HondaJet or a Cirrus Vision but not enough dough to buy something like a BBJ2 or a ACJ320neo lol

Because at least having a plane with jet(s) would be cool

Just now, GDRRiley said:

yeah, well my struggle is being 6'2'' 152s don't work for me. 

yeah I'm 5'6 lol

But my local flight school has 172s so those might be a bit more comfy.

My boyfriend is about 5'11 or 6'-6'2 ig