Whoosh - The Airplane and Airline Thread

handymanshandle
9 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

well the seats are wider so maybe not that bad.
leg room sounds like it's okay so probably not that bad?

Technically they could probably fly from Hawaii to Guam and Guam to most places in Asia but that being said that does marginally push the range unknown.png

but it seems like technically there's airports with-in 180 minutes
again not sure if that's something that would be comfortable or cost effective for an airline to offer cheaper Asian flights from KLAX-PHLI-PGUM-RJAA

uvfxli.png

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

19 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

if I'm not mistaken that wing is a Cirrus wing lol

Hella no 😂 

This is a cirrus wing...

Spoiler

Cirrus SR22T SE Arrivée achieves high marks - AOPA

Much, much, much thinner (also notice the leading edge cuff) :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Hella no 😂 

This is a cirrus wing...

Hide contents

Cirrus SR22T SE Arrivée achieves high marks - AOPA

Much, much, much thinner (also notice the leading edge cuff) :P 

huh lol

29 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

huh lol

I mean they curve the wing tip so it reduces induced drag, which is caused by the reduction of wingtip vortices (kind of acts like a barrier between the high pressure on the lower surface and lower pressure on the upper surface), which increases efficiency :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

42 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I mean they curve the wing tip so it reduces induced drag, which is caused by the reduction of wingtip vortices (kind of acts like a barrier between the high pressure on the lower surface and lower pressure on the upper surface), which increases efficiency :) 

nah just can't recall seeing any other planes wit the same swooplet that Cirrus has. It's like a borderline winglet

5 hours ago, Kaloob said:

Looking at cabin pics it'd probably be fine. 

It would probably work well for a budget airline, though I find the A320 line more versatile. 

oh yeah an A320 based fleet would be far more versatile but I think for point to point routing an A220 would work better.

Because the A220 is just as different from the A350 as it is to the 787 I could see the airline perhaps having 787s for higher volume flights.I know the side stick thing might be a bit tough but eh probably not that big of a difference.

The 787s I think would be for Asian and further away European routes so to like Amsterdam, Berlin, etc

6 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

nah just can't recall seeing any other planes wit the same swooplet that Cirrus has. It's like a borderline winglet

The Citation Latitudes have swooplets.  Little bigger than a Cirrus though. :)

1056354699001_5176910552001_5176909344001-vs.jpg

2 hours ago, Kaloob said:

I'd pick the A330N for long flights, if the A220 is similar to the 320 and the 320 is similar to the 330, that might lower training costs a bit. 

I kinda think think that the A220's only major similarity is the side stick lol

9 hours ago, Kaloob said:

Nvm then lol.

Though it may be easier to get a good deal on the A330N compared to the A350.

Yeah I think compared to A350 or 787, Airbus would be in a position to cut a good deal on the A330N lol

1 hour ago, Kaloob said:

I don't rerember you posting it here.

Good livery though!

it was something I did for an east asian design competition and I thought I'd try and find some element of the Korean language that could be used as a good name for an airline that's intention was to be in-tune with the customers needs and make things feel more tranquil than many airlines may make life. lol

"Nunchi, sometimes noonchi, is a Korean concept signifying the subtle art and ability to listen and gauge others' moods. It first appears in the 17th century as nunch'ŭi, meaning "eye force/power". In Western culture, nunchi could be described as the concept of emotional intelligence"

1 hour ago, Kaloob said:

I don't rerember you posting it here.

Good livery though!

And don't call me Shirley!

I edit my posts more often than not

3 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

it was something I did for an east asian design competition and I thought I'd try and find some element of the Korean language that could be used as a good name for an airline that's intention was to be in-tune with the customers needs and make things feel more tranquil than many airlines may make life. lol

"Nunchi, sometimes noonchi, is a Korean concept signifying the subtle art and ability to listen and gauge others' moods. It first appears in the 17th century as nunch'ŭi, meaning "eye force/power". In Western culture, nunchi could be described as the concept of emotional intelligence"

Something kinda and kinda not related, I had kinda taught myself a little bit of hangul because outside of vocabulary the basis of the language the characters and alphabet are pretty easy lol

My fav plane of all time is this:

1b0d478f7bb909f582a97dcf2e5e21c3.jpg

I bought Microsoft's Flight Sim Steam edition just so I could fly this.

This is a close second:

1bb5c5ba9c7a8f7a84bc16f9d76a16f0.jpg

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I think once travel restrictions are lifted and things can start going back to the way they were before the outbreak, I would absolutely have to find an A380 flight with Korean Airlines since I don't think they're getting rid of them just yet, Lufthansa it's hard to say honestly. ANA might also be an option lol

I think the ship has already sailed for the A340 however but oh well that wasn't as much of an interest.

I'd also like to get on Lufthansa's 747-8, it seems to be nicer than Korean's 747-8. I refuse to at least knowingly give any money to UAE because I'm gay lol

3 hours ago, Kaloob said:

Doubt ANA will retire the A380s anytime soon.

I'm quite sad about the A340s going because I'm quite a fan of them.

I flew on a Virgin Atlantic A340-600 last year. It was amazingly long, though a little outdated feeling inside.

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

2 hours ago, OJTheAviator said:

I flew on a Virgin Atlantic A340-600 last year. It was amazingly long, though a little outdated feeling inside.

I like seeing that "outdated" look in planes, I feel it is like a glimpse into a time when aviation was  more something for wealthy people. I like those planes with seats still from the 70s (rectangular shaped, quite thick), the old fonts used for all the labels. I am thinking of planes of the like of the old 747s (-100, -200 and the SP), the MD80 series.

On the other hand, some "old" planes can look rather modern even by today's standards. Once in a while, I like to go to a local flight sim center, they have a fixed baseA320 sim made out of an old plane formerly owned by Air France and the cockpit still looks and feels modern (even though it is lacking the fancy gadgets found in the B787 and A350 for example).

2 hours ago, greenhorn said:

I like seeing that "outdated" look in planes, I feel it is like a glimpse into a time when aviation was  more something for wealthy people. I like those planes with seats still from the 70s (rectangular shaped, quite thick), the old fonts used for all the labels. I am thinking of planes of the like of the old 747s (-100, -200 and the SP), the MD80 series.

On the other hand, some "old" planes can look rather modern even by today's standards. Once in a while, I like to go to a local flight sim center, they have a fixed baseA320 sim made out of an old plane formerly owned by Air France and the cockpit still looks and feels modern (even though it is lacking the fancy gadgets found in the B787 and A350 for example).

This A340 interior was sort of like a car from the mid 2000s to me. A little too old to be current, a little too young to be retro. Still cooler than, say, a 737-800's cabin, but less cool than a 787, or--I imagine-- a MD-80 or old 747. I'm glad I flew it, but the inside was not very interesting.

As fun as it is to geek out over planes, when I fly on them, it's just a flight after the first hour or two. I'm still just burning hours away by playing on a phone or browsing the infotainment system. So, it's a great thing to have a good infotainment system or in-flight wifi, or the comfort of a higher cabin pressure because of carbon fiber strength. That said, I'd rather book a flight on a 747 than a 787 just for the cool factor.

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

4 minutes ago, OJTheAviator said:

TAs fun as it is to geek out over planes, when I fly on them, it's just a flight after the first hour or two. I'm still just burning hours away by playing on a phone or browsing the infotainment system. So, it's a great thing to have a good infotainment system or in-flight wifi, or the comfort of a higher cabin pressure because of carbon fiber strength. That said, I'd rather book a flight on a 747 than a 787 just for the cool factor.

Yes, it's similar for me too. In theory, a plane itself could entertain me for an eternity, but since passengers obviously don't get to see every interesting part of it, other things to pass the time are needed on longer flights.
But once you're having fun, it is shocking how fast the time can pass, I experience that every time I am in the A320 simulator trying interesting approaches.

14 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

I'd also like to get on Lufthansa's 747-8, it seems to be nicer than Korean's 747-8.

If I ever go to Germany, I hope that I get the opportunity to ride on Lufthansa's 747-8s. I know Lufthansa flies that, the A350 and A340-600 to BOS so that's a 1/3 chance I get the 747-8.

okay so I was trying to figure out why airlines went for the EJets and CRJ200 over the 717 back in the 2000s and honestly I don't have much of an answer, because in 2017 Ed Bastian said this
"The 717 is very much about how do we get out of the regional jets," Bastian said. "Customers hated the small regional jets, our employees hated them because they looked at it as an outsourcing of their jobs, and our [investors] hated them because they're fuel inefficient and their ownership costs were escalating."

"Even the regional operators didn't the like them cause they are losing money on it because we had the contracts screwed down pretty low," Bastian added. 

From Business Insider

The 717 was 33 million dollars in 99 as a list price obviously airlines would've gotten a discount and the CRJ-200s list price was a lot lower at like 18 million so I'm guessing they were just being stupid cheap asses.

Also someone who claims to have worked on the design of the 717 that someone responsible for trying to market the plane wasn't doing their job and so SAS went for the 737-600 instead.

6 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

You can get RJs smaller than the 717.

That's why airlines went for them over the 717.

Whoever was responsible for marketing the 717 must have been shit at their job if SAS ended up going with the 736, those things sucked for regional routes.

ah yeah that's very true, actually I guess there was a proposal for a 717-100 where it would've been smaller than the 717-200 and seated up to 85 or so passengers

1 minute ago, Kaloob said:

Still bigger than a CRJ-200 or an E175/170. Would've needed a whole family of smaller 717s to compete with the RJs.

darn lol
forgot the size of the CRJ-200 lol

9 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

ugh Delta pulled the 717 from late summer routes from ATL-HSV. :^(

but as it stands early September is still game so maybe just maybe 🤞