Whoosh - The Airplane and Airline Thread

handymanshandle

I love seeing retro liveries on airliners:

Adobe_20181117_120814.thumb.jpg.9473ee2fb36d3ff5a067b567c51cc794.jpg

Tech, engineering, gaming and promoting the metric system. These are my things.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
Motherboard: Asus Z170 A
RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB

2 hours ago, OJTheAviator said:

I love seeing retro liveries on airliners:

Adobe_20181117_120814.thumb.jpg.9473ee2fb36d3ff5a067b567c51cc794.jpg

Those always look nice. We need more of those.

I once flew on a KLM 737-800. I looked up the registration code. Turned out it was the retro livery 737. However, they had painted it into the normal livery only a month before my flight. So pissed at KLM for teasing me like that...

:)

On 7/10/2018 at 9:11 AM, handymanshandle said:

To me, there's no other jet that's like the McDonnell Douglas DC-10 and the MD-11. That shit still looks modern to this day. Too bad it's retired from passenger service.

164ai_-_Delta_Air_Lines_MD-11;_N813DE@ZR

trijets were the shiz back in the day,sad to see them go.Last time i saw one was a fedex MD-11 even those are being replace by 767 and 777's 

What does everyone think of the korean arlines Ugly ass A380,its already a hideous plane and koreans livery makes it even uglier 

IMG_2101-754x566.jpg

I've just now discovered this thread ?

Recently I've had quite some inland flights and it's just a different experience than the large Planes. I really love flying in a Dash-8 especially :D It's loud and cramped but just feels a little more pure. Like driving an older sports car (naturally aspirated engine!) compared to driving newer limousines. The props also look so badass imo :P 

Q400-airberlin_Bombardier.jpg.8573150.jp

This airline went bankrupt and doesn't exist anymore but most Dash-8s in Germany still have this livery

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

5 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Recently I've had quite some inland flights and it's just a different experience than the large Planes. I really love flying in a Dash-8 especially :D It's loud and cramped but just feels a little more pure. Like driving an older sports car (naturally aspirated engine!) compared to driving newer limousines. The props also look so badass imo :P 

This airline went bankrupt and doesn't exist anymore but most Dash-8s in Germany still have this livery

ah yes, Dash-8's and ATR'S especially the ATR-52/42 In mountainous/island routes with short runways. The landing gear on the Dash-8 though is kinda sketchy. 

3 minutes ago, jsonschema said:

The landing gear on the Dash-8 though is kinda sketchy. 

... And quite bouncy it seems ^^

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 hour ago, Nicnac said:

... And quite bouncy it seems ^^

Yes,the wing gear is very tall and often collapses,there have been multiple incidences especially in icy/cold regions like sweden,finalnd,norway. 

3 hours ago, jsonschema said:

anyone else wanna go down to north korea and fly on those old Soviet planes ? 

Yes to the second part. As for the whole question, well to combine 60 year old Soviet planes and North Korea together at once seems like I'd be testing my luck a bit too much.

Lover of Linux.

Currently rocking a ThinkPad L13 laptop tricked out with an i7, running Windows 10.
PC Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, OJTheAviator said:

Yes to the second part. As for the whole question, well to combine 60 year old Soviet planes and North Korea together at once seems like I'd be testing my luck a bit too much.

i have heard they have great hospitality 

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2018 at 8:12 AM, Nicnac said:

Flybe runs a load of flights with these Dash-8s. I flew with them from Exeter to Manchester and after landing my back kinda hurt (probably the landing gear). I can only imagine what would've happened if Ryanair pilots were in the cockpit :P 

The Dash-8 is a pretty decent plane for short haul routes and the noise/lack of space is bearable.

• 10 months later...

this thread died fast

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

So... Antonov? Opinions? Is this topic too random or too Ukranian?

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

Let's talk then! One topic I've been thinking about recently: favorite retro airplane liveries? I quite like the British Airways 747 retro liveries, though the US carriers have some good ones too.

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Kaloob said:

American!

Definitely! The polished aluminum looks so good and classic. While I love the designs and liveries of the '60s, American stands out to me.

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, greenhorn said:

I'm not that familiar with retro liveries, but from the current ones I like Nok Air's, they really make the planes look funny.

Just looked that one up, really funny! In my opinion only rivaled by the Kulula livery: image.thumb.png.d48379da376509f87aa3657eebacfb17.png

As for retro liveries, I enjoy seeing this one occasionally:

image.thumb.png.e5b4ce56c6180a2f560d81e5d4290dda.png

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

That livery is perfect for a 737.

Yes, I was flying with them this summer on a 737-800. It was funny when I saw the plane for the first time shortly before boarding.

new to this thread, but if i have to fly on ONE GOD DAMN MORE md-88/md-90 from delta, an entire 747 is going up the rectum of a delta executive

i like trains 🙂

56 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

KLM livery MD-11 is best jet, change my mind.

I'll take a few approaches.

1. I'll grant you that the MD-11 is a wonderful plane, so if no other plane will do, I'll pick a different livery. The retro livery Delta MD-11 looks particularly wonderful in my opinion, I think more beautiful than KLM:

Spoiler

image.png.be83a85e54fe0f2d3ba81e62f91cc478.png

KLM for comparison:

maxresdefault.jpg

2. The KLM livery (not the most recent wavy one) is among my favorites out there, so I'll pick another jet with that livery on, namely the 747-400:

Spoiler

ph-bfb-klm-boeing-747-400-04.jpg

3. I assume you meant airliner, but you did say jet, and the SR-71 was an entirely jet powered plane. Mach 3.2 (and higher), with the YF-12 variant able to launch 3 AIM-47 Falcon missiles. NASA used two as high speed high altitude test beds, and the planes were used to launch drones that looked a little like mini SR-71s. In this thread, I may not need to say any of this, but having said it, it's hard to argue with the impressive speed and altitude of the thing.

Spoiler

402683main_EC92-1284-1_full_full.jpg

1024px-The_Lockheed_D-21.jpg

4. Okay, the SR-71 is extremely specialized, so it might not be able to be given the title "best" jet. So, I'll throw in one last contender: The Boeing 737-100/200 (Original Series). It's family has lasted over 50 years, and will probably still be flying for decades to come. The MAX series has had more than it's fair share of issues, but overall, I still have a great fondness for the family. The reason I've picked the original series has to do with it's extreme versatility. Many airlines used it for normal service, and it was used for cargo. It was used for passenger and cargo together in the Combi variant, and many Combis are even still used today with the gravel kit (the air jets together with the small engines make gravel landings possible). The plane wasn't huge, making service to smaller airports possible. It was, however, big enough to carry quite a number (up to 115) of people, plus cargo. It was used by NASA  (research), the US Military (training, transport, a radar test bed), foreign governments (reconnaissance and transport), and many, many, MANY airlines (I was reading through the Wikipedia 737 operators list and stopped counting halfway down at 150 airlines having operated the original series). 58 aircraft are still used, many for their gravel capabilities. I think I've made it clear why I like the 737-100/200, so now I have to pick a livery. I love the retro United livery on it, but there are two Lufthansa liveries (Livery 1, Livery 2) that also look fantastic. Pan Am had a pretty good livery, same with KLM, though I think Delta's overshadows both. I'll have to pick just one, though I've bolded my favorites. I think it is the 737-200 from Lufthansa, polished to a shine besides the deep blue Lufthansa spelled across the side and the same deep blue tail with the golden circle/bird. 

Spoiler

Lufthansa_Boeing_737-200_Volpati-1.jpg

That was quite a post, though a very enjoyable one to write. Change my mind that the best jet is not one described above.

Lover of Linux.

PC Specs:

Spoiler