Surface Go - A new low cost Surface Pro - Starts at only 399$

GoodBytes
12 minutes ago, bananabryan said:

DDR3...It hurts

in a device like this you would want LPDDR3, despite the fact that the CPU doesnt support DDR4, there would be no point to putting DDR4 in this kind of machine

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

If its anything like the normal surface itll be unreliable garbage.

And my 2015 Samsung S6 Active had LPDDR4 and UFS flash...

59 minutes ago, bananabryan said:

Typo in title, 'Surface' not 'Surafce' :)

Thanks!

DDR3...It hurts

Nha. DDR3 (well LPDDR3) is plenty fast. You are not running a fancy Core i7 to take advantage of the DDR4 speed, and the CPU is too slow for gaming. As a result, having the Intel GPU to take advantage of DDR4 would not help, in any case. You can run Minecraft on it properly though, and many somewhat simple (visually) indie titles, and older games, but it pretty much stops there. DDR4 won't help in general. If anything, the CPU will enjoy the lower latency that DDR3 offers over DDR4 higher bandwidth.

1 hour ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

That would make sense in the performance perspective, except the emulation would still be crap, this processor will probably cost much more and will end up not being competitive for intensive workloads because of the architecture.

This Surface Go Pentium processor, for example, costs ~$135. The Snapdragon 835 costs ~$50. Microsoft and partners tried to sell the ARM 2-in-1 as if they were sporting high performance processors instead of putting on the right price-to-performance spot.

Still think that they should focus on ARM for casual/office use and keep x86 for heavy workloads.

I think Microsoft is more pre-occupied of delivering the best experience than to a statement, and they need a strong answer for schools that run WIn32 programs, and not make them raise questions about the performance of the device, creating hesitation for the IT dept. Google and Apple is eating MS pie, and MS doesn't like it.

I think they'll try once the SD 1000 is out when MS will be more pleased and confident with the performance/experience with x86 apps, and that there is more (hopefully) native AMR64 programs. The 850 is probably not out yet either.

Update: Later in the year there will be a 256GB SSD NVMe option

Wish the LTE version would release at the same time, and had 2 USB ports (preferably 1 C 1 A)

5 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

eMMC storage hurts far more. At least it starts with 4GB DDR3.

If you get the 128GB or 256GB version it will be a NVME SSD.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Still not sure who this is for... It's not powerful enough to be a desktop system.

Assuming it's aimed a video consumption, light browsing. Commuting light work load.

Similar to what I do on my iPad pro. YouTube, Plex and a bit of email and web browsing.

Surface go  vs my iPad pro. More than one stand position with the keyboard.

When you get glare it's annoying and a product oversight.

Will be curious actual battery life on this surface go. I get 6 hours out of this iPad pro 10.5

The price is half the cost of an iPad pro. May not have the processing power to an A11 but seriously what can you do with it web browsing and video... It's pointless.

I was expecting it to be called the surface mini not surface go.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Hmm I kinda see that higher storage and memory as a base model. 

But whatever, I'd like to see updated Surface Laptop though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Sounds like a better Macbook at half the price.

A single port is still stupid though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Do you think people will be able to run Photoshop/Illustrator? iPad has ProCreate/Affinity Photo, another thing windows lacks is good apps.

22 hours ago, NinerL said:

Do you think people will be able to run Photoshop/Illustrator? iPad has ProCreate/Affinity Photo, another thing windows lacks is good apps.

You can Crysis too, but performance is another issue. ;)

I think PhotoShop will run well, as long as you don't work with large complex brushes, or a lot of layers, or very large images (especially if you get the 4GB of RAM model). I think it can still caters to artists that wants to do sketches on the go, draw ideas and such, and are on a budget, and do the bulk of the work in finalizing work on their PC/Mac. Of course we need to see benchmark for sure.

11 minutes ago, NinerL said:

Sure, and I would wager they will run better than they do on the iPad considering this has more ram (if you get the 8gb model) and an x86 cpu. Still, if that's the kind of work you're doing I'd say you should be looking for more powerful hardware in general...

And yes, UWP apps are few and bad, but I'd look at this more as an ultrabook with a touch screen than a tablet with a keyboard. On top of that it's significantly cheaper than an ipad pro.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The thing is only SLIGHTLY better than the existing Lenovo YogaBook. 15% faster CPU. Comparable battery life. No pen unless you go for the more expensive option. Microsoft should have released this a year and a half ago...

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Sure, and I would wager they will run better than they do on the iPad considering this has more ram (if you get the 8gb model) and an x86 cpu. Still, if that's the kind of work you're doing I'd say you should be looking for more powerful hardware in general...

And yes, UWP apps are few and bad, but I'd look at this more as an ultrabook with a touch screen than a tablet with a keyboard. On top of that it's significantly cheaper than an ipad pro.

You can't run full-fledged Photoshop/Illustrator on an iPad, so I would focus more on that than relative performance.  Mind you, the iPad also has a ton of creative (and sometimes Photoshop-compatible) apps like Pixelmator.  It's not a straightforward comparison.

I would like to see if there's a way to fairly benchmark the Surface Go versus the iPad and iPad Pro.  Of course, this would as much be a test of OS overhead as it would be computing power, since iOS is lightweight next to Windows.

12 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Yeah on paper this sounds great but in reality this tablet costs as much as a good Windows 10 laptop (or a very good one if OK with refurbished). I based this on the $ 400 base price + $ 100 for keyboard + $ 50 to upgrade to Windows 10 home (S-mode comes as default) = $ 550.

~$ 650 if go for spacious RAM and storage space. In short its not worth it. 

About the only plus I can give this is at least MS has finally learned that the 2 GB RAM and 32 GB storage option is unacceptable in the Windows 10 era and all those sub $ 200 devices that don’t splurge for the extra $ 10 to upgrade to a minimum of 4 GB RAM / 64 GB storage are being extra special douches counting on buyers not knowing better.

(Really do not buy anything at 32 GB regardless of price. You spend way to much time on space management and dealing with Windows 10 updates failing due to lack of space.)

few things 1 it comes with a free upgrade to pro so that cuts some of the price off.

I got to agree on ram. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

15 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I want to know how much free space is left on that 64GB model? Windows 10 is quite bloated and Windows 10S simply disables stuff like Power Shell and running programs outside of the Windows Store so I don’t think there’s a big difference when it comes to storage space consumption. 

On my Chuwi HI10 pro with 64GB eMMC, about 35-40GB (including the storage allocated to android).

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

16 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

I want to know how much free space is left on that 64GB model? Windows 10 is quite bloated and Windows 10S simply disables stuff like Power Shell and running programs outside of the Windows Store so I don’t think there’s a big difference when it comes to storage space consumption. 

Windows can compress the system image to take up a lot less space. And you can disable hibernation. I've regained a lot of space via those two.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

I would like to see if there's a way to fairly benchmark the Surface Go versus the iPad and iPad Pro

There isn't, they are too different. The only real test that can be made is to compare their performance in everyday tasks.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The only real test that can be made is..

..is geek bench ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

13 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

..is geek bench ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

T R I G G E R E D

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

16 hours ago, Arika S said:

makes even less sense. i wonder who these are supposed to be marketed for.

I'm glad they made a budget option, but im not sure what it's purpose is...

Education probably?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

On 2018-07-09 at 7:52 PM, captain_to_fire said:

probably a lot more than you think.  I have 32 GB on my 2 in 1 with the following "extra" apps (things that don't come with Windows that I added) installed to C:\

• Office 356
  • Firefox
  • MPC-HC
  • Spotify
  • WinRAR

And my drive looks like this:

image.png.d72d3bde1ff192b1f926668c21b67cbd.png

And it's not like I've gone out of my way to slim it down at all, this is relatively stock.  I still have a pagefile, for example (kinda needed on 4 GB of RAM lol), and I have other apps installed too (to another location) so while the bulk of their data goes elsewhere, they still do put some on C:\.  Not to mention all relevant drivers and stuff which can add to a GB or two.

And in fact this is a little more full than usual... I recall it normally sitting around 10 GB free so I should probably run disk cleanup again.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.