PC going on and off HELP PLS!!!

Stefano Bae

Hi Guys, I'm having a problem with my first pc build....

I've just got all the parts of the new build and set all the components on the mobo and changed some settings on the bios... in particular changed the m.2_1 config to sata mode, and i rebooted. Then the pc turned off, after a second again on than off again.... 

So i thought to reset the bios as the Z370-e guidebook says.. but nothing

I'm really afraid that the cpu is gone... but i DONT know how it could be possible....

Help me guys.... It's my first pc build and I'm so afraid now...

This is the config.

CPU: Intel i7 8700k + Noctua NH-D15

MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8x2) DDR4, 3000mhz

SSD: Samsung 960EVO 500GB

HDD: WD Blu Hard Disk 1Tb/2Tb + Intel Optane 16GB

GPU: Asus Strix Gtx 1080 8GB advanced

PSU: Corsair TX650M

CASE: Cooler Master MsterBox 5 

ADDITIONAL FANS: Arctic F13 PWM x 1, Artic F14 PWM x 1(other 2 should be with the case)

Dont worry this kind of stuff always happens when making a new build haha.

So you say you managed to get into bios initially and now it's on a "boot" loop with no display.

Does it give you any beeps? How long does it stay on before it shutdowns again?

By reset the bios do you mean you cleared the cmos?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

@G.e.o I entered the bios, change some settings, for example I changed the m.2_1 mode to sata mode, and I think i turned on the hyper m.2*16... when i saved all it rebooted, but immediatly shutted down to turn on by it self again for 2~3 secs and turn off again... no beeps

4 minutes ago, Stefano Bae said:

@DocSwag Yes

Since you think it might be related to the m.2 ssds try taking them out and see if it boots.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

@DocSwag Did it... I turned it on without m.2 ssd, optane, and all sata Hdds. Sasme result

Reseat everything and try again :D Its quite possible u got a loose connection on some of the components 

3 minutes ago, CaptainKieseI said:

Reseat everything and try again :D Its quite possible u got a loose connection on some of the components 

Agreed that usually is the issue

Try to dumb down the build to the minimum. Just CPU no RAM, gpu or sata or other pcie connected . Also wiggle the power cables going into the motherboard. Do it like this and turn it on see if you have a different outcome (like beeps for no ram or GPU).

If it works i'll give you the next steps

15 minutes ago, Stefano Bae said:

@G.e.o I entered the bios, change some settings, for example I changed the m.2_1 mode to sata mode, and I think i turned on the hyper m.2*16... when i saved all it rebooted, but immediatly shutted down to turn on by it self again for 2~3 secs and turn off again... no beeps

1 minute ago, Stefano Bae said:

@G.e.o @CaptainKieseI I removed gpu, all storages and tried to run with only cpu and ram to see if i can get the bios screen but nothing... 

Try same, no ram

2 minutes ago, Stefano Bae said:

@G.e.o Yes, no beeps but it doesnt shuttdown, still no screen

Does your PSU have an extra cable to put in that slot? Try removing that power cable and use a different one. A different SEPARATE one so dont go down the same cable and chose another 8 pin. Get a different 8 pin and plug it there. and try again.

4712900854961_ASUS_ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING_F.jpg

Clear your BIOS and try again. Minimal components connected.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

@G.e.o The psu is a semi modular one. Has the 8 pin connector and the atx cable fixed and i have other 3 sata lines and 2 slots that are marked with pci-e and cpu. Shoul i use those with the 8 pin connector?

13 minutes ago, Stefano Bae said:

@G.e.o The psu is a semi modular one. Has the 8 pin connector and the atx cable fixed and i have other 3 sata lines and 2 slots that are marked with pci-e and cpu. Shoul i use those with the 8 pin connector?

Hmmm.....see if the other 8 o pin cable fits. I DOUBT IT WILL. Just see if it goes in that slot smooth, don't force it in and DONT connect it to the PSU. I'm just curios if the cable fits there. I checked the manual for the PSU but i dont have everything there

@G.e.o I just got the bios screen.. now i shut it down to add the components one by one and see if one of those was causing the problem

With the extra 8 Pin plugged in the CPU port on the PSU? Thats how it booted on bios?

@G.e.o nop.. i just resetted the cmos again and pressed the f2+del like mad xD

2 minutes ago, Stefano Bae said:

@G.e.o nop.. i just resetted the cmos again and pressed the f2+del like mad xD

Bahahah thats crazy man.

Take it slow and steady. Add only 1 thing at a time. Only one. Ram 1 by one,Gpu, Storage.

Dont forget to stick that extra power in the 1080 also.

And do all of this with NO cable management so you can test that it works. You can take care of that after

@G.e.o Yup!!1 thanks for the help, I'll let you know 

Yeah please do, i'll actually want to know that it works.

Also congrats on the first (of many) scare when building a PC. Get used to that haha