Firecuda vs. WD Black vs. Barracuda/SSD Combo

Go to solution Solved by jefire411,
17 minutes ago, KenXeiko said:

Firecuda is the cheapest, while the WD Black comes next, then the Barracuda and SSD costs the most.

I still dont know what to pick lol, i'm sure there's someone that can clarify so i can finally settle. No one has been replying tho which is kinda sad.

I assume that this will be for a new system build? If so, I would go for a hard drive/ssd combo. If you don't mind not booting from an SSD, the Firecuda is a fine choice.

Firecuda vs. WD Black vs. Barracuda/SSD  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What should i pick? (Regardless of warranty, noise . ) ( Aiming for speed, reliability )

• Seagate Firecuda 2 TB (ST2000DX002)
    • Western Digital Black 2 TB (WD2003FZEX)
    • Seagate Barracuda (ST2000DM006) and SSD (256 GB)

TL;DR - Cant seem to pin point which would be the best option, done some research about it. Really unlucky on Western Digital, 2 broken drives, never had a Seagate. Need help, budget of $130, live in the Philippines. Dont care about noise and warranty , more on performance and reliability. Also havent found an SSD. ( Link Below )

So im looking to replace my paper weight WD Blue 2tb 5400 RPM, with a much more reliable drive.

I have been unlucky with Western Digital , with a 2 tb Green breaking down in 2.5 years and my 2tb Blue in 1.25 years. I dont really care for noise, what i really need is speed and reliability, or which will last the longest based on failure rates.

Im going to give Seagate a try, although i have heard of their fail rates, but still put WD into consideration even if i had 2 of their drives fail. All of the drives put into conaideration are 2 TB. The Western Digital is the 2013 one, Seagate Firecuda Probably 2016, and same with Barracuda. Still havent chosen which SSD.

I have done some searching and i have heard that the Seagate SSHD ( ST2000DX002 ) is really great, it comes close to an SSD on certain times and benefits the most when i play the same game, which i do. Also heard its just as fast as the Black and Barracuda except when the flash NAND comes in to play. However i do hear that whenever the SSHD is defective, it becomes incredibly slow.

Also done some searching with the Black ( WD2003FZEX ) heard its better than a standard HDD, and will also benefit with loading times.i dont know how its dual processor benefits, and some said its noisy but i dont really care. I tried to compare it with the Firecuda and Barracuda but i cant seem to settle on one. I have heard that it fails by making a weird noise.

I have put the Barracuda/SSD into consideration, the ST2000DM006 model feels like it will fail just the same, and the speed just the same. Although it does seem like the better option, but i have not settled on which SSD. The max capacity of an SSD that i will be able to purchase if i go with this option is 240 to 256 gb, or less.

Warranty doesnt matter, because i dont live in the US, i live in the Philippines, and cant take advantage of it. I only have a year warranty regardless of any drive , i have a small budget of $130.

http://dynaquestpc.com/product-category/components/harddisk-harddrive-storage-hdd-ssd-portable/harddisk-harddrive-storage-hdd-ssd-solid-state/?orderby=price

This is the site where i can buy. My budget for an SSD is P4,000 ( $80 , Philippine Peso ) my overall budget is P7,250 ( $145 ) i have not chosen which SSD so you can suggest because im clueless on what to pick lol. Maybe you can also suggest a Hard Drive.

Thanks.

• Green drives are earth-friendly, lead and halogen free, with reduced dependency on rare earth materials and a commitment to using only conflict-free raw materials. They are energy efficient, cool and quiet.
  • Blue drives are the original WD drive, built to the highest standards of quality and reliability, offering the features and capacity ideal for your everyday computing needs. Available with Serial ATA (SATA) interface, with mobile and desktop drives as well as ultrabook drives, this is the workhorse of the WD range.
  • Red drives are designed for Network Attached Storage (NAS) in small and home office environments, offering high levels of compatibility and excellent support.
  • Black drives deliver maximum performance for power computing, featuring high-performance electronics and a rock-solid mechanical architecture as well as high capacity storage.

About the WD drives. Choose which colour is best for you.

https://companies.mybroadband.co.za/blog/2012/10/02/western-digitals-colour-coding-red-blue-green-or-black/

hi.

26 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

Pretty much Black and Blue is what i prefer, but since the Blue only has the 7200 RPM in its 1 TB variant, and the 2 TB is 5400 RPM, and that i prefer 2 TB, i didnt add it in the options. Hence why its not in the Hard drives i'd like to compare.

Hello KenXeiko,

The normal BarraCuda of 3.5 inches and the Barracuda Pro both version of 2.5 inches and 3.5 inches run at 7200RPM, all except for the normal BarraCuda of 2.5 that runs at 5400RPM. I'll paste the link to the specs down below for more: 

https://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/hdd/barracuda/#specs-2-5

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Bump - still need opinions, and the poll is tied, still very unclear to me.

Added a tl;dr, figured the thread was too long.

5 hours ago, KenXeiko said:

Bump - still need opinions, and the poll is tied, still very unclear to me.

Added a tl;dr, figured the thread was too long.

Performance will most likely be super similar. Go for the cheaper one 

10 hours ago, Dreaper said:

Performance will most likely be super similar. Go for the cheaper one 

Firecuda is the cheapest, while the WD Black comes next, then the Barracuda and SSD costs the most.

I still dont know what to pick lol, i'm sure there's someone that can clarify so i can finally settle. No one has been replying tho which is kinda sad.

17 minutes ago, KenXeiko said:

I assume that this will be for a new system build? If so, I would go for a hard drive/ssd combo. If you don't mind not booting from an SSD, the Firecuda is a fine choice.

1 hour ago, jefire411 said:

Nope, my PSU and HDD broke down recently. I have a 4 year old system, i settled on an EVGA G2 650w as a PSU replacement and havent settled on Storage.

I dont really mind the boot times as long as it doesnt take 3 or more minutes average. I would like to know what will benefit for games the most , and reliability.

Edit ; 

I myself am siding on the HDD/SSD combo, although i do worry about the Barracudas reliability.

2 hours ago, KenXeiko said:

I would not get the hybrid ssd first off. I would go with the firecuda then. I personally have a few and have been great no drive failure or anything. 

For gaming there are some options in the external hard drives department, you may want to see them: https://www.seagate.com/consumer/play/

Then the SSHD Firecuda can give you the benefits you are looking for, definitely:

https://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/hdd/firecuda/

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

2 hours ago, KenXeiko said:

Nope, my PSU and HDD broke down recently. I have a 4 year old system, i settled on an EVGA G2 650w as a PSU replacement and havent settled on Storage.

I dont really mind the boot times as long as it doesnt take 3 or more minutes average. I would like to know what will benefit for games the most , and reliability.

Edit ; 

I myself am siding on the HDD/SSD combo, although i do worry about the Barracudas reliability.

I have a barracuda pro 2 tb model and it has worked splendidly and is quiet with boot times of 15-25 seconds but it is of course a different model and more expensive.

15 hours ago, Dreaper said:

I would not get the hybrid ssd first off. I would go with the firecuda then. I personally have a few and have been great no drive failure or anything. 

Do you use it for games? If so how is it? Also how long have you been using it? 

15 hours ago, jefire411 said:

I have a barracuda pro 2 tb model and it has worked splendidly and is quiet with boot times of 15-25 seconds but it is of course a different model and more expensive.

Not available from where i can buy , but how long have you had it?

4 hours ago, KenXeiko said:

I'v been using it for a little more than 7 months now.

9 hours ago, KenXeiko said:

Its used for games and videos. Ive had it for 3 years :)

2 hours ago, Dreaper said:

Its used for games and videos. Ive had it for 3 years :)

7 hours ago, jefire411 said:

I'v been using it for a little more than 7 months now.

Thanks guys, i think i'll be going with a Firecuda, and a SSD (WD Green). I did lower the cost of the PSU by changing my decision from an EVGA G2 650w to a Seasonic Focus+ 550FX which gave me a higher budget for storage, i realized i didnt need that much power.

I'll be deciding whether i'd like to buy Headphones instead of an SSD, but i guess that's a decision i have to make by my own lol.

Sweet! ? Thanks for choosing Seagate! I am around so if you need any help just let me know...