Linus inspired desk pc

derr12

64x32 tempered glass panel is on order, so I started cutting today. I need to get some more clamps. 3/4 mdf, could have used a table saw but using a skill saw and a guide is a bit more nimble.

B6C99A39-F357-4981-90E3-A4AF9B44B2F8.jpeg

F68FC11F-0283-40F6-B761-B93D73FA35AE.jpeg

0FD82B80-6701-41CF-A950-12B0D1F48D8E.jpeg

8E3937D6-8072-4196-A5E7-637B2288150D.jpeg

2F94A590-F290-43AB-8808-676C9B6BFA2E.jpeg

nice! are you planning to make a 1:1 copy of his build or are you changing anything? Also, what parts are you putting in it?

I’m going to improve upon it in some ways. For example; the components like gpu, mobo, and psu will be mounted flush and gasketed where possible so you don’t have big holes for cables. 

Depending on availability ill either be using a phobia 1080 120mm 3x3 rad or 1260 rad on the lower right side with 4 180 or 4 200mm fans (directing air towards the floor. The right side I’m going to open up for vent space and have a thin piece of steel made for magnetic fan filters. This will be because of the layout of where it’s being placed in my house.

gonna modify some kind of multi-io front panel for USB and such. I may have a couple pieces of brushed aluminum panels to mount to the front just for looks. I haven’t decided yet.

like Linus I’m going to use some hardwood for the top to cover the mdf and properly seat the glass.

for legs, I’m actually going to be able to mount the back and right side to the wall. I’m currently trying to figure out how I plan on supporting the left front. Plan A is a beefy 45 degree support affixed to the wall. Plan b is use a lathe to fashion a fancy table leg.

I have a 1700 and gigabyte ax370 gaming 5 and rx480 watercooled. Itl be upgraded to vega 64 reference or Strix due to waterblock availability.

unlike Linus I’ll be putting everything in the case instead of running it under. Hardline tube. 

I also am starting to lean towards either a custom large acrylic box for a Rez, that or use a couple double bay 5 1/2 bay res’s to avoid filling issues (the need to tilt up) when filling the loop.

It looks like I should be in for about 450cad taxes in for creating the desk. Pretty good price for the last pc cas I’ll ever need

More boards, more clamps. Couple more days and I can start fixing the minor measurement variances with the sander.

3E65C375-C77E-49B2-8F6D-90759D2795AF.jpeg

I had my reservations, but plain old wood glue has a really solid bond. No regrets not punching in pilot holes and screws.

• 2 weeks later...

All the sidewalls are glue'd in.  I had a minor screw-up where my saw guide bent and i chewed half a saw blade low in a short spot. no problem, put the flat side down and ill fill the gap once i get my finishing piece on the top. 

Also my strix Vega 64 arrived.  im going to add the 3/4" lip this weekend and start sanding and filling the imperfections. I think ive settled on a support design too. it should be pretty stable and not too ugly.  pictures incoming on sat-sun. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rough in is all done. Waiting for my glass to arrive so I can measure/cut the hardwood cap. Then it’s fill sand fill sand.

95AF9683-5216-4E14-B8DD-3FFC815E3408.jpeg

I had an idea. Instead of just vents, that board laying on an angle represents a full-size one that can hold 3 140mm fans. Cut out a vent in the floor and my fan grills can be completely hidden. Will improve airflow too.

Glass shop is delivering my panel today.  Should be able to get started on finishing the top cap.  I haven't settled on it's design just yet.

My wc gear is at the border... I can get  I the fun stuff this weekend. Wooo!

Some shots of the gear going into this build; you think the 1260 radiator is big enough?  I had a smaller one on my mazda back in the day.  Also not shown is my first D5 class pump. That thing is a pig!

IMG_0203[1].JPG

IMG_0204[1].JPG

IMG_0205[1].JPG

Going To see if the hardware store has 1x4 mdf trim blanks. I think im going to build the top cap out of that. Cut 1.5 inch strips and router out the glass gap. Will be easy to work with and more dent resistant than softwood lumber. Similar materials should look the same when painted. Failing that perhaps just a 1cm tall strip for 3 sides. Sand down the rough top first for flatness then drywall mud to smoothe the look of the ends. Paint and apply vinyl gasket tape to where the glass sits

I should have bought more, the table saw was not a precision instrument, but I only lost 4 inches on either end. I think this will work well for top cap.E7946F46-41E0-4755-A9C9-C49424B933F4.thumb.jpeg.ecaa4cd3788f945c14f75233ead3c054.jpeg

1E556662-D5BE-4EAA-B9D5-26CA9CC75342.jpeg

After test fitting the glass it seems either I’m out just a tad or the glass makers were. I’m going to leave that a mystery by not measuring... all good I just set the top caps a tad wider and I’ll sand the difference.

The side that’s a little messed up will be on the wall (left) where nobody can see it. Turns out I had a little bit of bowing in he wood throwing me off by an 1/8th.

next is to locate a hole saw and start cutting my various holes. After I’ve got figured I’ll sort out any bolt holes I plan on using. Sand and fill before finishing.

703A57C2-65EF-4187-BE8F-F6254CCD55AE.jpeg

6 minutes ago, derr12 said:

The side that’s a little messed up will be on the wall (left) where nobody can see it. Turns out I had a little bit of bowing in he wood throwing me off by an 1/8th.

next is to locate a hole saw and start cutting my various holes. After I’ve got figured I’ll sort out any bolt holes I plan on using. Sand and fill before finishing.

Did you already glue down the glass? 

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

12 minutes ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

Did you already glue down the glass? 

Lol, why would I do that?  Seems like that would be kind of... Perminant.

1 minute ago, derr12 said:

Lol, why would I do that?  Seems like that would be kind of... Perminant.

Ok good lol. I thought that you had glued it down and I was looking at the pictures like you were crazy. The project looks great though!

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

I’m thinking that in order to seal against my glass (and imperfections) I would use some kind of felt. I gave my self an extra mm for some kind of gasket.

Managed to salvage a motherboard tray from a retired case at work. Gonna tinker and see if I can’t find the best way to mount this bad boy. Likely have to glue an mdf strip or two as a stand-off of sorts. I may just grind off the lips on the edges of the tray and bolt the thing right onto the floor of the desk.

• 2 weeks later...

ive run into a bit of an issue for my power supply/mobo holes.  the jigsaw blade seems to wander and i havn't got a very nice hole.  it could be i was trying to go too fast.  i may attempt this on the motherboard hole with the skill saw with a shallow blade depth in order to get a straight primary cut and finish off with the jig but that could be a bit dicey given i cant get a flat horizontal surface (unless i stand on a chair and turn the desk on its side). I figure worse case i can clean it up as much as i can with a dremel and sanding wheel and then hide the defects with mud and/or metal or wood facings.

80 dollars worth of hole... holesaws are spensive. 

434AE491-5B5D-441A-80A5-10D9A9999323.jpeg