It's been 4 years since I heard of it and it wasn't that great then.

Is it any better now?

Have there been updates/improvements or is it over?

tbh i never really saw the point of it. steam runs perfectly fine under most distros. you are better off picking a stable distro that you like and installing the steam client

I think it's pretty much dead.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 minute ago, Fleetscut said:

tbh i never really saw the point of it. steam runs perfectly fine under most distros. you are better off picking a stable distro that you like and installing the steam client

Yes I agree.

Also, not all games are on steam.

It was dead on arrival...

...as would be expected of a Linux-based gaming OS that can't run most games and lacks attractive exclusives.  

Frankly, I've no idea WTF they were thinking. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Valve screwed up big. Steam OS makes little sense. There was absolutely no feature it offers that a typical savvy Linux user can't configure on his own. It is just steam in big picture mode frankly 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Valve screwed up big. Steam OS makes little sense. There was absolutely no feature it offers that a typical savvy Linux user can't configure on his own. It is just steam in big picture mode frankly 

I think that is all it was ever supposed to be.

The Sabayon Distro use to allow for a Steam Big Picture install.. It might still. It also supports the Steam Controller in desktop mode so that is probably better if your going for a TV game box.. It works, Add Kodi and Emby and your all set. (I think I had to do a little hacky hacky to get the steam controller working in Kodi and games, you have to switch out the xsession core pointer.)

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

25 minutes ago, jde3 said:

I think that is all it was ever supposed to be.

The Sabayon Distro use to allow for a Steam Big Picture install.. It might still. It also supports the Steam Controller in desktop mode so that is probably better if your going for a TV game box.. It works, Add Kodi and Emby and your all set. (I think I had to do a little hacky hacky to get the steam controller working in Kodi and games, you have to switch out the xsession core pointer.)

If that is all it is supossose to be, that is quite pointless. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

If that is all it is supossose to be, that is quite pointless. 

Eh.. its good for TV's you don't want to use like.. Gnome on a TV unless you have to.

26 minutes ago, jde3 said:

Eh.. its good for TV's you don't want to use like.. Gnome on a TV unless you have to.

Huh? How about building an htpc pc, get distribution like Ubuntu on it, install steam, set it to big picture, configure it for auto start up on boot up? That already gives you a full steam os experience. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

It was mostly pointless. Who wants to dedicate a computer to just Steam in big picture mode, and have the OS be GNU/Linux so most games don't work? Frankly you get a better experience using Windows.

8 hours ago, EPENEX said:

It was mostly pointless. Who wants to dedicate a computer to just Steam in big picture mode, and have the OS be GNU/Linux so most games don't work? Frankly you get a better experience using Windows.

there are plenty of good games for linux 

got plenty here 

https://www.gog.com/games?system=lin_mint,lin_ubuntu,lin_ubuntu_18&sort=popularity&page=1

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Steam OS was a very far backup if Microsoft would push for universal apps and their shop only. As MS didn't go nuclear (yet) then Steam OS isn't a priority ;)

On 7/11/2018 at 10:05 AM, wasab said:

Huh? How about building an htpc pc, get distribution like Ubuntu on it, install steam, set it to big picture, configure it for auto start up on boot up? That already gives you a full steam os experience. 

Well thats exactly what I did. I used SuSE however. I modified GDM and the xprofiles to work with the steam controller to switch login from Steam to Kodi.. worked great but that was some time ago now and I've kind of fell in love with Emby + Android more than Kodi + Linux.

Steam controller is fantastic for HTPC btw.