Wacom Tablet settings on XFCE

I'm looking to install the XFCE version of Linux Mint 19 on my computer after having tried out a live boot of it and the cinnamon version.

I want to go for XFCE not only for the wide range of options for customization but also because I briefly read that it is much less needy of resources than Cinnamon and MATE.

However, unlike the Cinnamon version of Mint, the XFCE version doesn't have a GUI for graphics tablet settings or calibration and I enjoy the use of my Cintiq 13HD for all my drawing projects.

I tried asking on the Linux Mint community forums but my request for help was blatantly ignored so

does anyone here know how I can calibrate my graphics tablet on the XFCE version of Linux Mint, and/or pretty much any other XFCE-based distro? Is there a software I can download to make it happen?

Thank you.

Are you looking to calibrate screen cursor position or are you looking to calibrate pressure settings? 

I have a CTL-460 (codenamed: El-Cheapo) and I've found that mostly for drawing projects in Linux you have to do the calibration in the settings of the program (and that calibrates the pressure curve).  Linux doesn't appear to have a system-wide pressure calibration (I'm told that it has to do with developers not having access to the hardware).

As for location calibration, I've never seen that done on Linux... although there is some information on the xf86-input-wacom driver page

edit: For clarity, I'm using Arch Linux, so I can't say for sure what's available in Linux Mint

Edited by 7he404guy
clarify

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 4:25 PM, 7he404guy said:

Are you looking to calibrate screen cursor position or are you looking to calibrate pressure settings? 

I have a CTL-460 (codenamed: El-Cheapo) and I've found that mostly for drawing projects in Linux you have to do the calibration in the settings of the program (and that calibrates the pressure curve).  Linux doesn't appear to have a system-wide pressure calibration (I'm told that it has to do with developers not having access to the hardware).

As for location calibration, I've never seen that done on Linux... although there is some information on the xf86-input-wacom driver page

edit: For clarity, I'm using Arch Linux, so I can't say for sure what's available in Linux Mint

I'm looking to calibrate both.

And you're saying I can actually calibrate my graphics tablet on individual apps like GIMP and Krita?

You can calibrate your pressure curve -- Krita is under the individual brush tools so when you select a brush under the 'pressure' settings you can set the pressure curve.  You can also set the program's default pressure curve in settings -> configure krita -> tablet settings.  I think the way it works is the 'tablet settings' pressure is applied to everything, and then you can adjust the individual brush pressure curves on top of that.

In gimp it's just in the input devices config: edit -> input devices

There isn't a base system-wide pressure curve so it's up to the individual applications to implement pressure sensitivity and calibration

If I have to explain every detail, I won't talk to you.  If you answer a question with what can be found through 10 seconds of googling, you've contributed nothing, as I assure you I've already considered it.

What a world we would be living in if I had to post several paragraphs every time I ask a question.

Hey.

I just installed Linux Mint XFCE on a tiny laptop I use for testing Linux distros and have followed the article you linked to.

I was able to calibrate my light pen the hard way, using the xsetwacom command on the terminal to manually configure it and managed to get the cursor (almost) pinpoint accurate with my light pen.

However, whenever I boot up the PC again, the calibration values are back the way they were before.

I remember that its possible to get Linux to automatically apply custom settings on startup but I forgot how.

Help, please?

I haven't tried that before (usually my tablet is unplugged so I just run the commands when I need to on Linux), but usually people either put the commands in the ~/.xinitrc startup file (basically just running a script to input the values on login) or set up an X.Org driver option as explained in the arch linux wiki (typically the arch wiki applies to other distros also)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wacom_tablet#Permanent_configuration

`xsetwacom -x get` should get the appropriate values to set in the X.Org config file

Alternatively, in XFCE, if you go to `applications -> settings -> session and startup` there should be a tab to specify applications to run on startup -- you could enter the appropriate commands into a bash script and have it auto-start on each login.