Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AluminiumTech

Seagate announces BarraCuda Consumer SSDs and they're a Timed Exclusive for Amazon Prime Customers

33 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

their bizzare business plan has proven to be very successful.

Their "bizarre" business plan, which is identical to the original idea behind RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks -- a lot of cheap shitty drives > a few expensive enterprise drives).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 7/7/2018 at 8:14 AM, TheRandomness said:

It’s funny because Seagate being unreliable is a complete myth. 

Meanwhile, I do really like the design. We need more parts like this, just blackout without an obnoxious logo splattered across it. 

Basically, what happened was there was 3TB model sold in 2010 that failed by 2013 and it caused a class action lawsuit.  Ever since then people have been acting like anything Seagate makes is unreliable.  To be fair, they had a few other models that had some higher than normal failure rates, but that was like 2 others.  WD and Seagate are the two most people look at, but actually/iirc, it's WD's other brand HGST and Toshiba that have the lowest failure rates.  I'm not really loyal to any brand, but right now I'm mixing Toshiba, Seagate, WD, PNY, and a few others in a couple of systems.  I just get whatever is cheaper that has what I need.  My 3TB Barracuda from 2013 lasted me 5 years before it got the click of death, and my first WD blue was DOA.  Can't hold that against either of them because no line is going to have 100 percent perfect drives.  I'd also like to ask people who actually have experience with Seagate drives that failed is if they got basic consumer ones or far more reliable NAS/Server or big business ones, did they buy them new, or did they buy them from a 3rd party off Amazon, and so on.  Like, don't just tell us "Oh, I got this drive..and that's why it's unreliable!"  No, tell us all the other factors too.  I mean I even wonder if they have experience with the drives, or if they just got one DOA and then said.."Never again!  Fuck Seagate!"  xD 

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB S280 with the EK Supremacy sTR4 RGB Nickel Water Block and Scarlet Red Premix | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Massdrop Editions | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 CPU) | CPU Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX200 240GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC GAMING  | Case: Fractal Focus G | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Gigabyte FORCE K83 with Cherry MX Reds | MouseRazer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)

23 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Their "bizarre" business plan, which is identical to the original idea behind RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks -- a lot of cheap shitty drives > a few expensive enterprise drives).

RAID can also mean Redundant Array of Individual Disks. RAID isn't the only form of drive redundancy. Besides the umpteen levels of RAID, there is unRAID (which uses parity instead of striping like RAID uses), and others that are unique to server manufacturers. The redundancy scheme Backblaze uses was developed by and is unique to Backblaze. Backblaze is keeping its scheme a secret but it has far more redundancy and is probably far more complex than even the nested RAID levels to compensate for the higher failure rates of the cheaper drives Backblaze uses.

Btw, except for Backblaze, most, if not all, commercial servers use the far more expensive server grade drives despite using RAID or some other kind of redundancy rather use the extra redundancy that would be needed to compensate for higher failure rates.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

20 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Basically, what happened was there was 3TB model sold in 2010 that failed by 2013 and it caused a class action lawsuit.  Ever since then people have been acting like anything Seagate makes is unreliable.  To be fair, they had a few other models that had some higher than normal failure rates, but that was like 2 others.  WD and Seagate are the two most people look at, but actually/iirc, it's WD's other brand HGST and Toshiba that have the lowest failure rates.  I'm not really loyal to any brand, but right now I'm mixing Toshiba, Seagate, WD, PNY, and a few others in a couple of systems.  I just get whatever is cheaper that has what I need.  My 3TB Barracuda from 2013 lasted me 5 years before it got the click of death, and my first WD blue was DOA.  Can't hold that against either of them because no line is going to have 100 percent perfect drives.  I'd also like to ask people who actually have experience with Seagate drives that failed is if they got basic consumer ones or far more reliable NAS/Server or big business ones, did they buy them new, or did they buy them from a 3rd party off Amazon, and so on.  Like, don't just tell us "Oh, I got this drive..and that's why it's unreliable!"  No, tell us all the other factors too.  I mean I even wonder if they have experience with the drives, or if they just got one DOA and then said.."Never again!  Fuck Seagate!"  xD 

The 3 TB drive wasn't Seagate's only failure. All sizes of the 7200.11 series had bad firmware that caused early drive failure and Seagate, despite developing corrected firmware, didn't make any effective effort to let people know about it. Seagate was also once notorious for being reluctant to honor warranties, the most recent scandal I recall was when they reduced the warranty length on newer versions of certain models, then tried to apply that to earlier versions that were sold with a longer warranty.

In all fairness, Seagate does appear to have cleaned up its act recently.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

24 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

The 3 TB drive wasn't Seagate's only failure. All sizes of the 7200.11 series had bad firmware that caused early drive failure and Seagate, despite developing corrected firmware, didn't make any effective effort to let people know about it. Seagate was also once notorious for being reluctant to honor warranties, the most recent scandal I recall was when they reduced the warranty length on newer versions of certain models, then tried to apply that to earlier versions that were sold with a longer warranty.

Other than Nvidia does anyone actually spam people letting them know there's any kinda update?  Not saying it's good or bad, but I don't see most companies going out of their way to let everyone know.  Usually, it's like LTT or another like OC3D addressing it.   Also, isn't the 7200.11 line like nearly a decade old and kinda irrelevant?  My point is that most people are clinging to older problems.  I'm not saying it's a good or bad or whatever, but at the same time, it's not really relevant to newer drives.  The most relevant I remember, in terms of failure/issues, was this...

Cumulative Hard Drive Failure Rates

I'd honestly avoid that 4tb Seagate like the plague.  xD But, it's not like every single Seagate drive coming out now has massive issues.  Ya, if you're looking for a 4TB definitely avoid that one with a high failure rate.  I'd suggest Toshiba or HGST if you want lower failure rates.  As for the warranty part/the part I forget to address since I was looking for that chart, okay ya that sounds like false advertising and something I could see people suing Seagate over.  

VashTheStampede 4.0:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x | CPU Cooling: EKWB S280 with the EK Supremacy sTR4 RGB Nickel Water Block and Scarlet Red Premix | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut | Mobo: Asrock X399 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GBs (2x16) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/PNY CS900 240GB SSD/Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM/Toshiba X300 4TB 7200RPM | GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition | Case: Fractal Define R5 Blackout Edition w/Window | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 with Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB FPS | Headphones:  AKG K7XX Massdrop Editions | Mic: Audio-Technica ATR2500 | Speakers: Mackie MR624 Studio Monitors

Prince of Dark Rock:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G(Temp/Upping to a Zen 2 CPU) | CPU Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryronaut | Mobo: Asrock x470 Taichi | Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V 8GBs (2x4) DDR4-3200 | Storage: Crucial MX200 240GB SSD+Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200RPM | GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SSC GAMING  | Case: Fractal Focus G | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold | Optical Drive: Random HP DVD Drive | Operating System: Windows 10 Home | Keyboard: Gigabyte FORCE K83 with Cherry MX Reds | MouseRazer DeathAdder Elite Destiny 2 Edition Speakers: JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors(At some point)

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Other than Nvidia does anyone actually spam people letting them know there's any kinda update?  Not saying it's good or bad, but I don't see most companies going out of their way to let everyone know.  Usually, it's like LTT or another like OC3D going addressing it.   Also, isn't the 7200.11 line like nearly a decade old and kinda irrelevant?  I'm not saying it's a good or bad or whatever, but at the same time, it's not really relevant to newer drives.  The most relevant I remember, in terms of failure, was this...

I'd honestly avoid that 4tb Seagate like the plague.  xD 

Sigh! I give up. The old saying about horses and water come to mind.

Jeannie

49 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

RAID can also mean Redundant Array of Individual Disks. RAID isn't the only form of drive redundancy. Besides the umpteen levels of RAID, there is unRAID (which uses parity instead of striping like RAID uses), and others that are unique to server manufacturers. The redundancy scheme Backblaze uses was developed by and is unique to Backblaze. Backblaze is keeping its scheme a secret but it has far more redundancy and is probably far more complex than even the nested RAID levels to compensate for the higher failure rates of the cheaper drives Backblaze uses.

Btw, except for Backblaze, most, if not all, commercial servers use the far more expensive server grade drives despite using RAID or some other kind of redundancy rather use the extra redundancy that would be needed to compensate for higher failure rates.

The fact that many companies choose Enterprise drives isn't all that relevant as a lot just do whatever Dell/HP offer, and yes, today, RAID stands for both, but it was originally about inexpensive disks.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

50 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Sigh! I give up. The old saying about horses and water come to mind.

Look, I get it you were giving me what I was asking for and I was addressing not you directly but the people hating Seagate.

-The 3tb class action lawsuit and that whole line up issue are old outdated problems.  The one that is more modern/relevant, in terms of failure or whatever, is that one 4tb.  Honestly, as I said to avoid it like the plague and go with HGST or Toshiba if you're looking at a 4tb.

-The whole them not letting people know, well I don't think most do that unless it's like Nvidia spamming people through Geforce.  It's usually a news platform that announces it, but I could be wrong.  So, I'll agree that I'm probably ignorant about that part of the issue.  If more do then ya that was a bit odd/problematic for Seagate to do when the issue was more relevant.

-As for the warranty part that I forget to address originally ya, that I could see people being mad over as I agree that's both a modern/more relevant issue and outright false advertising.  That would be a good reason to just outright avoid Seagate now compared to old issues and that one 4tb.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

Prince of Dark Rock:

Why is Seagate only matching the prices of their competitors? We've had Crucial's MX500 for like two years at a better price. Seagate is simply touching the status quo for storage rather than trying to make it obtainable to the masses. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

34 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

RAID stands for both, but it was originally about inexpensive disks

Actually, which was first has been more hotly debated than the old chicken/egg topic. I lean more toward independent since RAID was needed more to increase the size of a data pool way back when drives were still tiny compared to now rather than to cut costs.

Jeannie

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

Other than Nvidia does anyone actually spam people letting them know there's any kinda update?  Not saying it's good or bad, but I don't see most companies going out of their way to let everyone know.  Usually, it's like LTT or another like OC3D addressing it.   Also, isn't the 7200.11 line like nearly a decade old and kinda irrelevant?  My point is that most people are clinging to older problems.  I'm not saying it's a good or bad or whatever, but at the same time, it's not really relevant to newer drives.  The most relevant I remember, in terms of failure/issues, was this...

I'd honestly avoid that 4tb Seagate like the plague.  xD But, it's not like every single Seagate drive coming out now has massive issues.  Ya, if you're looking for a 4TB definitely avoid that one with a high failure rate.  I'd suggest Toshiba or HGST if you want lower failure rates.  As for the warranty part/the part I forget to address since I was looking for that chart, okay ya that sounds like false advertising and something I could see people suing Seagate over.  

I'm avoiding all HDDs now. If I need any more 4TB drives, I'll get more 4TB SSDs to add to the stable of them I have now. xD All seriousness (?) aside, lugging all my backup HDDs to and from my Credit Union safe deposit box was destroying my back. SSDs are so much easier on my old carcass and take up a whole lot less room.

Jeannie

23 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Why is Seagate only matching the prices of their competitors? We've had Crucial's MX500 for like two years at a better price. Seagate is simply touching the status quo for storage rather than trying to make it obtainable to the masses. 

Not sure the exact reason why, but it's what they usually do with their consumer grade ones.  But, I'm not sure if it's Seagate directly selling them through Amazon.  If Amazon is then they're just basing off what Seagate suggested.

9 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I'm avoiding all HDDs now. If I need any more 4TB drives, I'll get more 4TB SSDs to add to the stable of them I have now. xD All seriousness (?) aside, lugging all my backup HDDs to and from my Credit Union safe deposit box was destroying my back. SSDs are so much easier on my old carcass and take up a whole lot less room.

I mostly avoid HDDs unless I need a storage drive for a desktop.  The one I had in Vash/my only Desktop in use right now died like a month ago after 5 years, and I got a constellation 1tb for free to replace it.  However, I use up so much space on Vash alone that I'm planning to get an x300 4-5TB from Toshiba in October.  I prefer SSHDs and SSDs, but like I don't carry around HDDs either.  They just sit in my home setup.  For the laptop I'm getting next month from Prostar, one of the main Clevo resellers, it comes with an SSHD in it, but I'm putting an M.2 in it as well.

VashTheStampede 4.0:

Prince of Dark Rock:

12 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Actually, which was first has been more hotly debated than the old chicken/egg topic. I lean more toward independent since RAID was needed more to increase the size of a data pool way back when drives were still tiny compared to now rather than to cut costs.

Originally in the late 80's David Patterson, Randy Katz and Garth Gibson published their tech report called  "A Case for Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks"

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~garth/RAIDpaper/Patterson88.pdf

It was about a bunch of inexpensive disks grouped into an array outperforming top of the line expensive disks of the time. I've always heard it as "inexpensive" but I can see how time marches on how the "I" in RAID could be considered "independent" since arrays of disks are the norm.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Razor Blade said:

Originally in the late 80's David Patterson, Randy Katz and Garth Gibson published their tech report called  "A Case for Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks"

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~garth/RAIDpaper/Patterson88.pdf

It was about a bunch of inexpensive disks grouped into an array outperforming top of the line expensive disks of the time. I've always heard it as "inexpensive" but I can see how time marches on how the "I" in RAID could be considered "independent" since arrays of disks are the norm.

JBOD or Bust

Delidded 3770k 4.4GHz | Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition RX 580 1550MHz/2250MHz  | #2 FireStrike Extreme & #2 Superposition 1080p Xtreme | 32GB DDR3 1600MHz

7 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Go back and reread the article you linked (assuming you even read it the first time). The author essentially said the same things I did only he drew the wrong conclusion. The reports only contain raw data without details such as the age of the drives, the drive models, etc.

what?  3 articles, all form professionals in the field and you call them all wrong?  I didn't know we had such omnipotence on this forum.

7 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

One has to compile data from several of the reports over time to draw any actual conclusions. Even then, the conclusions you can draw will only be broad percentages that will be somewhat skewed due to the varying sample sizes between brands and models.

What most people can gather without doing a lot of careful charting and tracking of reports from several years is to watch for trends from which broadly generalized conclusions can be drawn. One would also have to take into consideration the age of the drives that fail, someting not reflected in the charts but usually will appear in the footnotes, something most people seem to ignore.

A couple of other things the author missed was why Backblaze continues to use drives with high failure rates. First, by the time Backblaze finds out certain drives have high failure rates, they have already bought thousands of them. So what are they going to do? Throw them out without using them? it makes far more sense to go ahead and use them, espeically since they utilize enough redundancy to prevent data loss from the higher failure rates.

Second, Backblaze has a unique business plan that employs a proprietary redundancy scheme that allows the use of far less consumer drives that have higher failure rates, the theory being it will be less expensive in the long run to replace less expensive drives more frequently than to use higher priced serve grade drives that would last longer. Backblaze makes its own storage pods using a greater amount of redundancy to ensure protection from data loss due to the higher failure rates rather than use conventional servers that use conventional redundancy, such as RAID, unRAID, etc. I was skeptical when Backblaze first started up but, over time, their bizzare business plan has proven to be very successful.

I still maintain that the Backblaze reports are useful as long as people accept that they are just raw, uninterpreted data and treat it accordingly.

Just so you know, blackblaze is not only wrong in their report, but their methodology was shot down and there are claims many of the drives they tested were refurbished/secondhand. 

Blackblaze is literally the last source for anything useful when it comes to hdd information.

And here are some actual hdd return statistics from that time by a french mob who actually considered all brands and models:

https://www.hardware.fr/articles/893-6/disques-durs.html

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

On 7/7/2018 at 10:29 AM, 2Buck said:

Well, in my experience, Seagate has been horrible. Over the last almost decade, I've owned many drives from WD and Seagate, Never once had a WD die on me but I've had 7 Seagates die, one of which was a 1TB carrying very valuable data, and yes, I was an idiot who didn't back up back then.

Because of my horrible experiences, I never trust them with anything important. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid, but whatever. I have 3 1TB seagate barracudas that are probably perfectly fine, but I'm only ever gonna use them if I get desperate.

That's the thing. Everyone uses their anecdotal evidence to claim that x brand is better than y brand. Across the board, consumer hard drives have high failure rates. They used to be one of the most common things to die or develop problems in a PC. I've seen HDDs from every major brand die over the years from WD (had some of the worst, most annoying faults with WD drives), Seagate, Maxtor, IBM, Toshiba, Quantum, etc.

14 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Pretty much every major HDD company has had bad products at one time or another. There is a reason IBM's consumer Deskstar line earned the nickname Deathstar at one point.

16 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Because they still need to make a profit and arent making complete garbage?

Once you reach a certain threshold for price, you cant go lower without making a net loss instead of profit. 

Contrary to the way the vast majority of consumers act, hardware manufacturers are not charities handing out things for free. We already have enough instantly e-waste grade electronics floating around. Better stuff would be better than cheaper stuff.

I can't believe we have 2TB ssd's already. it'll be 8TB before we know it... heck ppl might soon not even buy hard drives for normal use anymore if they get cheap enough and capacity keeps growing like it is

also is it just me but has general *need* for storage slowed down a bit lately, outside of the enterprise?

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

"A redline a day keeps depression at bay" - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.4 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 and 2 x Seagate ST2000DM006 (in RAID 0 for games!) - The good old Corsair GS700 - Yamakasi Catleap 2703 27" 1440p and ASUS VS239H-P 1080p 23" - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Avid Miata autocrosser :D

35 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I can't believe we have 2TB ssd's already. it'll be 8TB before we know it... 

They've had 4tb drives for a few years now

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E4T0B-AM/dp/B07864XY8B/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?dpID=41qR7C253KL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Also:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/21/samsung-now-has-an-8tb-ssd-thanks-to-3d-memory-tech/ 8TB is already here (for data centers anyways)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Cadence

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage 1x Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M      Cooling Cryorig H7

19 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I can't believe we have 2TB ssd's already. it'll be 8TB before we know it... heck ppl might soon not even buy hard drives for normal use anymore if they get cheap enough and capacity keeps growing like it is

also is it just me but has general *need* for storage slowed down a bit lately, outside of the enterprise?

Western Digital already has a 2TB M.2 Sata drive for sale, I don't know of another drive like it (their are NVME 2TB M.2 Drives)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

9 hours ago, Derangel said:

That's the thing. Everyone uses their anecdotal evidence to claim that x brand is better than y brand. Across the board, consumer hard drives have high failure rates. They used to be one of the most common things to die or develop problems in a PC. I've seen HDDs from every major brand die over the years from WD (had some of the worst, most annoying faults with WD drives), Seagate, Maxtor, IBM, Toshiba, Quantum, etc.

Pretty much every major HDD company has had bad products at one time or another. There is a reason IBM's consumer Deskstar line earned the nickname Deathstar at one point.

Except for the fact that I never claimed anything, I clearly said that was all just my personal experience.

If you haven't held a SNES controller before, you don't know gaming.

well okay that's not entirely true but still go play a fucking SNES if you haven't.

Current Rig

FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB - 16GB Hyper x Fury - 250GB SSD - CM 212 EVO - Asus M5A97 R2.0 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2 - CM Elite 430 Black - WD Blue 1TB

The 5$ Laptop (Asus r510c) (+60$ worth of upgrades)

Core i5 i5-3337U 1.8ghz (2.5ghz) - 120gb SSD - 320gb WD Black - 8GB DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000

Secondary Programming Machine

i7 870 @ 4.0ghz - GTX 670 2GB - 8GB DDR3 Hyperx Fury - 64GB SSD - 1TB WD Blue - Some 1156 Asus board

HTPC - Wolf In Sheep's Clothing (Crappy HP OEM SFF case and PSU from 2009)

AMD A8 6800k @4.2ghz - GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 - 8GB DDR3 - 250GB SP SSD - Some Asus FM2+ motherboard

Bedroom HTPC - The 939 Monster

AMD Athlon 64 x2 @ 2.8ghz - ATi Radeon x850XT - 4GB DDR400 - 80GB WD Blue IDE - SOCKET 939 BITCHES

Trusty Old Rig: Athlon 64 X2 3000+ @ 2.16ghz - Radeon 9600 Pro - 1GB DDR - GB K8NSC939 - 500w CM PSU

Nokia 3310 - The PC: (Dell Optiplex GX110) Piii Coppermine 1Ghz - 512mb SDRAM - ATi 9250 pro 256mb - 80GB IDE - Sound Blaster Live!

Twin Game Servers (Two): C2Q q6600 @ 3.0ghz - Asus P5B - 8GB DDR2 800

PFSense Router: Pentium D @ 3.2ghz - 2GB DDR2

OMV NAS: Pentium 4 @ 3.2ghz - 2TB WD Red - 2GB DDR2

(I could list like 10 other PCs off the top of my head, yeah I'm a big time PC hoarder.)

2 hours ago, 2Buck said:

Except for the fact that I never claimed anything, I clearly said that was all just my personal experience.

Stating your personal experience is anecdotal evidence.

Jeannie

WTF? I bought my Crucial BX100 250 GB 2 years ago for 64$ NEW! I was expecting to buy 500 GB SSD after 3 years for the same price. It looks like prices are increasing not dicreasing?

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

30 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Stating your personal experience is anecdotal evidence.

No shit, but I didn't "use it" to claim that Seagate was more unreliable. Was simply saying that because I have had lots of Seagate failures I have developed a bias against them, that's not me trying to say "Seagate is factually bad".

well okay that's not entirely true but still go play a fucking SNES if you haven't.

Current Rig

FX 8320 @ 4.5ghz - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB - 16GB Hyper x Fury - 250GB SSD - CM 212 EVO - Asus M5A97 R2.0 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2 - CM Elite 430 Black - WD Blue 1TB

Core i5 i5-3337U 1.8ghz (2.5ghz) - 120gb SSD - 320gb WD Black - 8GB DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000

i7 870 @ 4.0ghz - GTX 670 2GB - 8GB DDR3 Hyperx Fury - 64GB SSD - 1TB WD Blue - Some 1156 Asus board

AMD A8 6800k @4.2ghz - GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 - 8GB DDR3 - 250GB SP SSD - Some Asus FM2+ motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 x2 @ 2.8ghz - ATi Radeon x850XT - 4GB DDR400 - 80GB WD Blue IDE - SOCKET 939 BITCHES

Trusty Old Rig: Athlon 64 X2 3000+ @ 2.16ghz - Radeon 9600 Pro - 1GB DDR - GB K8NSC939 - 500w CM PSU

Nokia 3310 - The PC: (Dell Optiplex GX110) Piii Coppermine 1Ghz - 512mb SDRAM - ATi 9250 pro 256mb - 80GB IDE - Sound Blaster Live!

(I could list like 10 other PCs off the top of my head, yeah I'm a big time PC hoarder.)

26 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

WTF? I bought my Crucial BX100 250 GB 2 years ago for 64$ NEW! I was expecting to buy 500 GB SSD after 3 years for the same price. It looks like prices are increasing not dicreasing?

Yep, it's disappointing to say the least. But at least prices are coming down again, for a while a 240GB was almost 100$ again, but somehow they've managed to come back down to 50$, so maybe we'll finally start to see some progress again. Maybe.

Current Rig