decent X58 for overclocking

Go to solution Solved by Stefan Payne,
30 minutes ago, Armored_Twinkie said:

Hello everyone. I want to build a  X58 + x5650 pc. What is best motherboard for overclocking under 100$. Thanks 

none, because you can't get decent Boards under 100€

That's what makes the X58 Plattform kinda useless. And its already 9 Years old...

So its better to rethink what you want and look at newer Plattforms, due to the rediculous high prices of the Boards. Even if you can get the CPU for like 50€, you have to look for months to find a good deal on a working Board in good condition...

And even then they can fail in some ways like my ASUS P6T wich has a Problem with its Socket/1 Memory Channel...

Anyway, if you have to get a decent quality Board, you can also go for a new Ryzen 5/1600 or 2600. CPU and Board are new not much more expensive than this ancient Plattform...

Hello everyone. I want to build a  X58 + x5650 pc. What is best motherboard for overclocking under 100$. Thanks 

30 minutes ago, Armored_Twinkie said:

That's what makes the X58 Plattform kinda useless. And its already 9 Years old...

So its better to rethink what you want and look at newer Plattforms, due to the rediculous high prices of the Boards. Even if you can get the CPU for like 50€, you have to look for months to find a good deal on a working Board in good condition...

And even then they can fail in some ways like my ASUS P6T wich has a Problem with its Socket/1 Memory Channel...

Anyway, if you have to get a decent quality Board, you can also go for a new Ryzen 5/1600 or 2600. CPU and Board are new not much more expensive than this ancient Plattform...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

40 minutes ago, Armored_Twinkie said:

I have a Core i7 930 on X58, and I can tell you, it is a serious pain to overclock. And getting help is non existent, 'cause there are so many things to adjust to get it overclocked, let alone be stable. It isn't like now, where you can just set some multiplier value and increase the voltage until stable and call it a day. I won't bother to be honest. Also the boards don't even have SATA-3.... well.. they do... but on PCI-e 2x... instead of 4x..... so oops. And Marvel controller which nearly every motherboard manufacture used, is garbage due to its high latency. You have a higher performance sticking to SATA-2, despite the lower max speed. Also, due to Intel screw up, the motherboards faces, commonly, high pitch whine, unless you turn off the CPU power management system, keeping the CPU hot and toasty all the time, and wastes power away.

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

I have cpu for 20$, and want to get some motherboard can overclock it about 3.5Ghz :v. i dont have money for newer one :v 

2 hours ago, Armored_Twinkie said:

I have cpu for 20$, and want to get some motherboard can overclock it about 3.5Ghz :v. i dont have money for newer one :v 

Decent Board with that you can overclock sells for 150-200€, if in decent condition and quality.

Even if the CPUs are cheap, the Boards are not...

And as @GoodBytes said, OC isn't that easy.

I can reach 200MHz Ref Clock on my P6T but at the cost of the PCIe slots. So that's not something the Board likes.

For 3,5GHz you need 175MHz Ref Clock. That isn't an easy task, especially for a Westmere...

The next thing: 

If someone already has an X58 Board, why should he sell it? He can get a somewhat decent 6 Core CPU for next to nothing. 

So that is the Problem. People who already have that plattform keep it...
If they sell it, they do it because they see the rediculously high prices...

And that is the Problem with that plattform, age and unobtainable good quality boards...

X58 has been out of production for many years. High demand due to cheap Xeons and low availability mean they are  expensive. I love mine but unless you already have a board it's not the best value.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

12 hours ago, Armored_Twinkie said:

how do you know you need it overclocked yet? for what you need, it might be ok the way it is?

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

@O9B0666

X5650 is a little on the low side at 2.66Ghz. Overclockimg would be necessary for gaming which I assume is at least a consideration.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

7 minutes ago, asand1 said:

@O9B0666

X5650 is a little on the low side at 2.66Ghz. Overclockimg would be necessary for gaming which I assume is at least a consideration.

Thanks for the info. 

Well OP post in here these guys just sit around overclocking their old xeons cinebenching the shit out of em all day and could point you in the right direction. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

6 hours ago, asand1 said:

Not a bad deal here with 12gb ram

No I/O Shield it seems.

So not that great of a deal.

6 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

No I/O Shield it seems.

So not that great of a deal.

I/O shield doesn't really matter. It looks nice but at a good discount I wouldn't really care 

That's an F in the profile pic

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

I/O shield doesn't really matter. It looks nice but at a good discount until I wouldn't really care 

That's your oppionion.

My OCD doesn't allow a Board without an I/O Shield. 
For me a Board without one is just junk.

35 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's your oppionion.

My OCD doesn't allow a Board without an I/O Shield. 
For me a Board without one is just junk.

I think dont have I/O shield is a problem. Just found on taobao. Is it good?

Screenshot_20180707-195228.png

No ram and I don't know the exchange rate. Can't say if that's a good deal or not. 

@Stefan Payne

Mine was given to me minus the io shield. $7 fixed that. Hardly a deal killer. I suggest meds for your OCD.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

$78.44 USD is not bad.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

6 hours ago, asand1 said:

$78.44 USD is not bad.

So this board can handle 3.5 or 4GHz.

Westmeme isn't worth it, considering you're buying into a obsolete platform that's basically on legacy support. To be remotely decent, you have to overclock it and that requires a lot of cooling. Finding a decent X58 board will cost loads, you'll have to spend a decent amount of money for a good cooling setup, not to mention finding DDR3 ram that will work well. Overclocked X5650 is going to draw a bunch of power, it's guaranteed to draw at least 200W from the CPU alone with overclocked. 

Here's a general idea of prices

X5650: 20-30

X58 Board: 120-200

DDR3: 40-50

Cooling: 50-60

You could just go with what I did, go with used Sandy Bridge. It only costed me $160 for a 2600K, Z68 motherboard, 16GB DDR3. 1155 is a more modern, stable, feature set platform than X58. 

7 hours ago, Armored_Twinkie said:

So this board can handle 3.5 or 4GHz.

Probably, I don't experience with that particular one though.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;

19 hours ago, asand1 said:

Probably, I don't experience with that particular one though.

3.5Ghz is ok( i see some one get about 4.2Ghz with cm212). Because i sell my mobo and cpu ( B85 progamer and I5 4690), so it is like 200$ for cpu, 1 ram stick, motherboard, and cpu cooler :v

17 minutes ago, Armored_Twinkie said:

3.5Ghz is ok( i see some one get about 4.2Ghz with cm212). Because i sell my mobo and cpu ( B85 progamer and I5 4690), so it is like 200$ for cpu, 1 ram stick, motherboard, and cpu cooler :v

It'll probably be better just to get a 4770K/4790K instead, would perform similar to a overclocked X5650 at around 4-4.4GHZ. You wouldn't have to deal with the high power draw, additional cpu cooling costs, and the problems you'll encounter overclocking X58. 

6 hours ago, Bubblewhale said:

It'll probably be better just to get a 4770K/4790K instead, would perform similar to a overclocked X5650 at around 4-4.4GHZ. You wouldn't have to deal with the high power draw, additional cpu cooling costs, and the problems you'll encounter overclocking X58. 

I have Z170+ i7 7700k, and i want a secondary pc can render, and play decent game ( world of warships). :3 and want to learn to overclock 

4 hours ago, Armored_Twinkie said:

I have Z170+ i7 7700k, and i want a secondary pc can render, and play decent game ( world of warships). :3 and want to learn to overclock 

Still not worth to get X58, just get a more modern system. 

If you don't already have X58, don't buy into it now. It's at peak pricing. It's kinda fun to tinker with, and having a bunch of PCIe is useful for proper SATA-3 or USB-3 (via expansion cards), but again....it's expensive to where it doesn't make sense for 99% of people.

I've had my system since they were new, and for me the Xeon + OC upgrade made sense. It was a PITA to dial in a stable overclock, to echo an earlier poster.

If I were budget limited I'd look at the cheap Ryzen APU or Intel i3 based systems. If I remember right you can get a Ryzen motherboard for <$100, and some of the chips are cheap. That'd be the route I'd go, personally.