Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Adatrem

Set fan speed on ASUS mainboard

Posted · Original PosterOP

Since my system is custom watercooled with plenty of fans, I'd want to set my fan's speeds to a fixed RPM because I can afford a silent system. The problem is, however, that the "QFAN control" in the BIOS is complete bullsh!t and doesen't let me set all my fans to less than 60%. It even gets weirder because of the fact that some fans can be set lower (the best result was 30%)  while some cannot even be set to go to anything nearly below than ~700 RPM (60%). I've already calibrated the fans (also in the same QFAN control menu) which allows me to go lower but only on some fans. The problem with the predefined (silent) modes is that -for some reason- my fans ramp up as soon as my CPU is somewhat used and sadly this increase in RPM makes my PC go leafblower-style loud. Is it possible to "force" all my fans speeds to about 20-40% all the time? I've gotten an ASUS Maximus IX Formula; if that helps.

Edit: See update comment below

Are these 3 or 4 pin fans? Often motherboards can't set the rpm of 3 pin fans that low because the voltage can't drop that low (it would just not turn the fan at all at that point).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

Asus maximus X user here,

for people saying it's the difference in 3 vs 4pin its not.

you can control 3pin fans just as well as 4pins in bios. 

Asus bios is one of the worst i ever used that comes to fan control.

not only does it limit you on how low you can go with fan speed % but if your CPU gets above 70/75C your fan will go to 100% no matter what.

there is no real fix for this unless Asus updates their Bios so we can have full control

so for the final answer, contact Asus and tell them to give us full fan control..

nothing you can do but buy a fan controller like i had to do...

Recent build: Meshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7 8700k 5.1GHz - Asus GTX 1080TI Strix OC - Corsair vengeance 16GB - Asus Z370 ROG Maximus X Hero - Fractal Meshify C TG White - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Fractal Celsius S36

18 minutes ago, wildthing said:

Asus maximus X user here,

for people saying it's the difference in 3 vs 4pin its not.

you can control 3pin fans just as well as 4pins in bios. 

Asus bios is one of the worst i ever used that comes to fan control.

not only does it limit you on how low you can go with fan speed % but if your CPU gets above 70/75C your fan will go to 100% no matter what.

there is no real fix for this unless Asus updates their Bios so we can have full control

so for the final answer, contact Asus and tell them to give us full fan control..

nothing you can do but buy a fan controller like i had to do...

You can use the Asus AI Suite which allows to increase the critical temperature from 75°C to around 90°C I think.

Most of my fans are 3 pin (the ones that came with my case) and some I bought extra (3x to be clear) use a 4-pin connector

1 hour ago, .spider. said:

You can use the Asus AI Suite which allows to increase the critical temperature from 75°C to around 90°C I think.

not sure about that,

last time i used AI Suite it screwed up all my fan curves..

and point is Asus just needs to improve their fan control in bios, i never had these issues like OP has before with a MSI board for example.

Recent build: Meshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7 8700k 5.1GHz - Asus GTX 1080TI Strix OC - Corsair vengeance 16GB - Asus Z370 ROG Maximus X Hero - Fractal Meshify C TG White - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Fractal Celsius S36

Time for an Update:

With some precise fine-tuning inside the advanced settings under the "monitor" tab, I was able to achieve more or less what I originally wanted. The fans now ramp up slower and my PC stays more silent even with higher CPU utilisation. It's still ideal-as many of you pointed out asus definetly needs to get their shit together-but its a beginning.

Another thing I'll definetly get when I'll build my next PC with that many fans is a fan controller because it was a pain in the ass to get all fans which are all connected to the mainboard configured more or less equally.

7 minutes ago, wildthing said:

not sure about that,

last time i used AI Suite it screwed up all my fan curves..

and point is Asus just needs to improve their fan control in bios, i never had these issues like OP has before with a MSI board for example.

Yes indeed fan control in bios is pretty much useless.