Don't buy the G3

LienusLateTips
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

@jonnyGURU Thoughts?

Nope.  I don't have one.

10 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

By the way, just wondering, as long as you don't load the G3 (i.e I'm running just a 8400 + 570 on a 750W (yeah ik I use like 200W, G2 was out of stock, 550 G3 was 100$, and 650G3 was same price), is the g3 fine, since I am 500W+ away from the OCP, and if you have good airflow for OTP, is it fine?

Even if I had like a vega64 + i7-9700k, and was drawing something like 600W. should I be worried?

First point: yes. 

Second point: also yes, power surges and transient response time etc. exist and if you're not careful the G3 could damage components over time, have melted caps etc. 

25 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

By the way, just wondering, as long as you don't load the G3 (i.e I'm running just a 8400 + 570 on a 750W (yeah ik I use like 200W, G2 was out of stock, 550 G3 was 100$, and 650G3 was same price), is the g3 fine, since I am 500W+ away from the OCP, and if you have good airflow for OTP, is it fine?

Even if I had like a vega64 + i7-9700k, and was drawing something like 600W. should I be worried?

No, as long as you aren't close to the limit you'll be fine...

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

4 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

A short circuit that the SCP doesnt pick up on can draw infinite load on a single connector. This is where OCP is useful.

A fan obstruction, or even the fan dying with overheat the power supply. This is why OTP is necessary.

The G2 wouldn't have been a better choice. It has the same issues, if not worse.

13 hours ago, Rexper said:

A short circuit that the SCP doesnt pick up on can draw infinite load on a single connector. This is where OCP is useful.

A fan obstruction, or even the fan dying with overheat the power supply. This is why OTP is necessary.

The G2 wouldn't have been a better choice. It has the same issues, if not worse.

If its infinite load, shouldn't any ocp at all be triggered?

also, if the fan dies, and it overheats, will it damage my components? Not concerned at all, bc EVGA has great warranty, and I'm sure I'll get a new psu in 10y.

17 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

First point: yes. 

Second point: also yes, power surges and transient response time etc. exist and if you're not careful the G3 could damage components over time, have melted caps etc. 

so I should be worried because the G3 has bad transient response, and bad ripple etc??

I thought that it was good at that?

(By the way, I couldn't find any 750 G3, as jonnyguru website has been updated and is missing almost everything)

http://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2016/11/08/evga-supernova-1000-g3-power-supply/4/

1000G3 has great transient response

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-850-g3-psu,4930-8.html

850G3 has great on 12v and 5v, though 3.3v is above 3% (not terrible tho)

18 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

Yeah, probably. Not a great PSU even with that (noisy af) but it's probably fine. That said, don't get it if you have other options (RMx is my recommendation, G2 is also good)

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

13 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Yeah, probably. Not a great PSU even with that (noisy af) but it's probably fine. That said, don't get it if you have other options (RMx is my recommendation, G2 is also good)

I already have it kek.

RMx was overpriced, and G2 was either out of stock or more expensive. Never heard the fan, even when I load up on AIDA64+Furmark.

1 hour ago, Firewrath9 said:

I already have it kek.

RMx was overpriced, and G2 was either out of stock or more expensive. Never heard the fan, even when I load up on AIDA64+Furmark.

CPU: i5-8400 CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9 Plus   Motherboard: Gigabyte B360M DS3H | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8 DDR4-2400

Boot/OS SSD: Inland 480GB SSD | Video Card: RX 570 4GB Strix OC | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White TG (11/10) PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750

Monitor: Sceptre 24" 1080p 75hz

I'm guessing you're running the PSU in its "eco" mode where the fans don't spin under a certain load? Really only going to be drawing 250w with an i5 8400 + rx570, might not be enough to trigger the fan when it's in eco mode.

Theres a switch on the PSU that toggles the eco mode, try turning that off and check if you can hear the fan.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I'm guessing you're running the PSU in its "eco" mode where the fans don't spin under a certain load? Really only going to be drawing 250w with an i5 8400 + rx570, might not be enough to trigger the fan when it's in eco mode.

Theres a switch on the PSU that toggles the eco mode, try turning that off and check if you can hear the fan.

ik, toggled it, and with my ear to the floor next to the psu, its not above a whisper. Besides, if you consuming 500-600+W where the PSU fan has to spin up a bit, there are prob other fans that are much louder (gpu,cpu,radiator if custom loop)

• 3 months later...

Is the issue fixed or is the G2 still the one to go between this two?

I was thinking in a G3 with a 1080Ti and 8700K but, now I don't know what I have to buy.

36 minutes ago, Donki Knog said:

Is the issue fixed or is the G2 still the one to go between this two?

I was thinking in a G3 with a 1080Ti and 8700K but, now I don't know what I have to buy.

Both are quite loud, so it generally doesn't make sense to get either anyway. 

:)

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

Both are quite loud, so it generally doesn't make sense to get either anyway. 

My thoughts were about the OPT and OPP, the noise isn't a problem with the headset.

16 minutes ago, Donki Knog said:

My thoughts were about the OPT and OPP, the noise isn't a problem with the headset.

I haven't heard anything about them getting fixed. Either way, why the G2/G3 anyway? There are most likely other PSUs available for the same price that perform equally well, but that are quieter. Why would you choose the G2/G3 over them, even if the G3 had the issues fixed? The G2 doesn't have OTP at all, which still isn't great. 

44 minutes ago, seon123 said:

I haven't heard anything about them getting fixed. Either way, why the G2/G3 anyway? There are most likely other PSUs available for the same price that perform equally well, but that are quieter. Why would you choose the G2/G3 over them, even if the G3 had the issues fixed? The G2 doesn't have OTP at all, which still isn't great. 

Then I should go for the Be Quiet! Straigh Power 11? Or the Seasonic Focus+/Corsair RMi are better?

1 hour ago, Donki Knog said:

Then I should go for the Be Quiet! Straigh Power 11? Or the Seasonic Focus+/Corsair RMi are better?

What are you powering and where are you buying from? Which wattage and what are the prices of those?

Edited by seon123
Something something

57 minutes ago, seon123 said:

What are you powering and where are you buying from? Which wattage and what are the prices of those?

There are 2 PCs, the 1st one is a i7-8700k with a 1080Ti, 16bg ram and the other will be a Ryzen 3700x with a AMD Fury (it'll be replced by a RTX2060/5700).

The store is this: https://xtremmedia.com/?q=product/view/familia/29

I was looking one PSU of 650W around 130€~.

Not sure if I answered well your question, I hope so.

1 hour ago, Donki Knog said:

There are 2 PCs, the 1st one is a i7-8700k with a 1080Ti, 16bg ram and the other will be a Ryzen 3700x with a AMD Fury (it'll be replced by a RTX2060/5700).

The store is this: https://xtremmedia.com/?q=product/view/familia/29

I was looking one PSU of 650W around 130€~.

Not sure if I answered well your question, I hope so.

The BitFenix Whisper M 650W is quite well priced, and would be a nice match for both systems. 

10 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The BitFenix Whisper M 650W is quite well priced, and would be a nice match for both systems. 

Thank you!! That will be!

• 1 year later...

whew, been a while. gonna bump this thread by saying, with the weird shit thats going on with turing, isn't a high OCP/OPP (for transients) more of a feature now haha? The OTP is still an "issue" tho i guess

lol

6 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

whew, been a while. gonna bump this thread by saying, with the weird shit thats going on with turing, isn't a high OCP/OPP (for transients) more of a feature now haha? The OTP is still an "issue" tho i guess

There's an opinion that problems we see with Ampere (not Turing) aren't because of too sensitive OCP in fact but due to PSU tripping it's UVP after all capacitors get emptied by high-transients and voltage drops, or perhaps a mix of both.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply