What was the first item you bought online with your financial aid?

BlankStars♠

Just wondering, I got my financial aid few days ago and I bought a keyboard with cherry MX blue switches from WASD.

unless I'm misunderstanding but isn't financial aid supposed to be if you're actually struggling financially or for education? it shouldn't be spent on "toys"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

unless I'm misunderstanding but isn't financial aid supposed to be if you're actually struggling financially? it shouldn't be spent on "toys"

oh...thought i can just spend it on what ever i want...

Nothing fun like that... I bought tuition and books...well by books I mean overpriced bits of paper apparently made of freaking gold.

Student loans were the worst mistake of my life.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

59 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

Depends what you studied. :P

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 hour ago, Sierra Fox said:

unless I'm misunderstanding but isn't financial aid supposed to be if you're actually struggling financially or for education? it shouldn't be spent on "toys"

this dude is literally getting paid to study and he buying a keyboard lol that's what I call luck

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

14 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

this dude is literally getting paid to study and he buying a keyboard lol that's what I call luck

If it's a bursary, if it's a loan it's basically a credit card.

1 hour ago, BlankStars♠ said:

Just wondering, I got my financial aid few days ago and I bought a keyboard with cherry MX blue switches from WASD.

I hope that thing helps you crank out a spread sheet or an essay on Microsoft word faster. 

I personally would buy books and pay off the tution instead of getting fancy new gadgets I don't need. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

43 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Linus studied YouTube. This is why he is such a successful YouTube superstar. Follow his example! YouTube is a hot field right now!  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

18 minutes ago, wasab said:

I hope that thing helps you crank out a spread sheet or an essay on Microsoft word faster. 

I personally would buy books and pay off the tution instead of getting fancy new gadgets I don't need. 

sure does, since the letters and numbers on my 4-5 years old laptop basically all fade away

49 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

I use my degree in my field. I've also paid my loans off. However the amount of interest I've ended up paying was not worth it. Nor was the financial risk while I was carrying them.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

I mean if you’re collecting for unemployment or disabilities, the money can be used for anything. I believe student aids can be spent towards computer stuff if it means helping your education but I don’t know the full terms on it, haven’t needed it yet myself.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Counter-Strike haha

5 hours ago, aezakmi said:

6 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

That what i call living in europe.

8 hours ago, BlankStars♠ said:

I recently also got financial aid. I don´t have to pay this one back. I got a student loan in addition. I will purchase an Ipad or more likely an Ipad pro with the money. I only purchase it because I will use it mainly for studies :)

9 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

Nothing fun like that... I bought tuition and books...well by books I mean overpriced bits of paper apparently made of freaking gold.

check out the library genesis project. its "free" :D they have always all books one might need, though sometimes editions are one or 2 years old

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

10 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I recently also got financial aid. I don´t have to pay this one back. I got a student loan in addition. I will purchase an Ipad or more likely an Ipad pro with the money. I only purchase it because I will use it mainly for studies :)

Sure you will....

I am gonna purchase a xbox one x with my scholarship for the purpose of studying too. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

32 minutes ago, wasab said:

Sure you will....

I am gonna purchase a xbox one x with my scholarship for the purpose of studying too. 

No, I am serious.

A friend writes everything on his Ipad for example notes, homework... It has so many advantages such as: being able to easily edit stuff later on without making it look like a mess, it looks great, it is faster and so on.

This is the only reason why I will purchase an Ipad. I never owned any Apple product so far because they are expensive and I dislike the company. There doesn´t exist any good android tablet in my eyes. 

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

No, I am serious.

A friend writes everything on his Ipad for example notes, homework... It has so many advantages such as: being able to easily edit stuff later on without making it look like a mess, it looks great, it is faster and so on.

This is the only reason why I will purchase an Ipad. I never owned any Apple product so far because they are expensive and I dislike the company. There doesn´t exist any good android tablet in my eyes. 

I just have to ask.... Why not pen, pencil, eraser, and paper?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

36 minutes ago, wasab said:

I am too slow because I am a perfectionist. I absolutely hate when my notes and homework look like a mess. I even delete letters and words if I screwed up. It makes me angry to read ugly stuff. I waste too much time with rewriting. I also write slowly because I want to make it look nice.

That is why I want an Ipad. I see how good my friend's homework looks and how easy he can rewrite stuff.

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

I am too slow because I am a perfectionist. I absolutely hate when my notes and homework look like a mess. I even delete letters and words if I screwed up. It makes me angry to read ugly stuff. I waste too much time with rewriting. I also write slowly because I want to make it look nice.

That is why I want an Ipad. I see how good my friend's homework looks and how easy he can rewrite stuff.

If you can't write well on a paper, you will do worse on an iPad. Stylus is woefully less accurate than a pen/pencil. Just type if your handwriting is atrocious and if you are to type, get a proper computer and keyboard. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Seriously dude? It's 2018. Literally everyone will be taking notes with laptops, tablets, etc.

2 minutes ago, wasab said:

If you can't write well on a paper, you will do worse on an iPad. Stylus is woefully less accurate than a pen/pencil. Just type if your handwriting is atrocious and if you are to type, get a proper computer and keyboard. 

Also, tablet keyboard cases have existed since the original iPad. These days, they work very well.

iPad + bluetooth keyboard case = totally sufficient for note taking.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Also, tablet keyboard cases have existed since the original iPad. These days, they work very well.

He's talking about taking notes with the stylus, it's indeed slower than on paper.

20 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Seriously dude? It's 2018. Literally everyone will be taking notes with laptops, tablets, etc.

Good luck typing out the gaussian formula, the graph of an arcsine or a sketch of  Mona Lisa on your notebook PC.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

I'd talk to a financial aid advisor first.  It's the refund you can, with conditions, if there's anything leftover after you buy your books and classes/tuition.  If you just spend it on whatever you want a fraud investigation can be put against you.

Op should know that at least in the USA, federal grants and loans have strings attach. Students do not have access to them. How they are spent is sometimes handle totally by the financial aid office. 

The only type of money that has no strings attach is your own money. All free money for ones schooling is strictly for the purpose of ones schooling. 

Sudo make me a sandwich