Bad psu damaging gpu?

CaptainSpeedster

i got my graphics card just now and i dont know should i put it in my pc rn or wait,i have been told that i have a crappy psu so im buying a new one but it will come to the store in a couple of days. Will putting my gpu now with this psu harm it? I got MS platinum 500 v5.Im getting seasonic focus plus gold 550w as  i can see that it is realy good. (Got i3 6100,h110m gaming motherboard wich im planning to upgrade soon)

https://ms-start.com/en/ms-platinum-500-v5.aspx

Yeah, that is a psu I have never even heard of. I wouldn't trust that running at full load. Depending on what gpu you got.

I forgot to say, Aorus gtx 1060 6gb, psu is from Croatia so it isnt well known.

Likee ^^^ they said, I wouldnt trust something like that... Even more so when it is what is powering your whole computer.. thats the last thing you want to "Cheap out on"

I suggest looking at this list, And picking from there.

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

yea i am getting seasonic focus plus gold, it is on 2nd tier and from the reviews it is a great psu.

Tnx for help

Well, harming and being unstable is a completely different thing. Not only giving your Graphics card to run off of an inconsistent power supply will cause your GPU to perform slower but it might as well keep crashing entire system when in full load. But still, from what I know, it won't translate to harming but maybe pairing your system off of this output will one time make things worse. Definitely, buy a new PSU according to the total 'watt' your system needs.

console.log("way to pro");

6 hours ago, CaptainSpeedster said:

i got my graphics card just now and i dont know should i put it in my pc rn or wait,i have been told that i have a crappy psu so im buying a new one but it will come to the store in a couple of days. Will putting my gpu now with this psu harm it? I got MS platinum 500 v5.Im getting seasonic focus plus gold 550w as  i can see that it is realy good. (Got i3 6100,h110m gaming motherboard wich im planning to upgrade soon)

https://ms-start.com/en/ms-platinum-500-v5.aspx

SWITCH PC OFF; IMMEDIATELY! 

Remove the PSU and recycle it. If you know an electronics guy, give it to him.

But do NOT use the PC with that PSU no more!

It is possible with low quality PSU to kill the PC and even you due to shortcuts in construction.

With that said, where do you live?

How much money do you have to spend?

Standard Recommendation:

be quiet Pure Power 10

Straight Power 11

Bitfenix Formula

Bitfenix Whisper M

400 and 450W versions are more than plenty four most Desktop PCs without OC.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 hours ago, Aissy Santos said:

Well, harming and being unstable is a completely different thing.

Not necessarily

It can be unstable because the voltages are harmful because of the lack of stability and high AC on the DC...

Not only giving your Graphics card to run off of an inconsistent power supply will cause your GPU to perform slower but it might as well keep crashing entire system when in full load.

Run slower isn't true, that usually isn't caused by the PSU.

But crashes, reboots, freezes are. And with that its possible that it might cause damage if you experience that...

But still, from what I know, it won't translate to harming but maybe pairing your system off of this output will one time make things worse.

Yes it might.

Very unstable voltages with high AC part of it is not very healthy for PC Components and at least reduces the lifetime of the components due to higher stress (= and AC) wich causes the components to fail sooner rather than later.

If the voltages are bad enough, it will damage the components.

Problem:
You can't really know unless its way too late.

21 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes it might.

Very unstable voltages with high AC part of it is not very healthy for PC Components and at least reduces the lifetime of the components due to higher stress (= and AC) wich causes the components to fail sooner rather than later.

The "high AC part of it" doesn't make sense to me. After all, there is no AC flowing off the output as any PSU, not to mention DIY homemade ones use rectifiers, transformers, diodes, and voltage regulators to limit the DC voltage output. And also unstable voltages doesn't necessarily mean high exceeded measurements.  Usually bad PSUs have that inconsistent delivery which, to be honest, I don't know what specific way they affect the components. 

console.log("way to pro");

1 minute ago, Aissy Santos said:

The "high AC part of it" doesn't make sense to me. After all, there is no AC flowing off the output as any PSU, not to mention DIY homemade ones use rectifiers, diodes, and voltage regulators to limit the DC voltage output.

There is an AC Part in the DC. Its usually Called Ripple & Noise but its nothing more than AC.

1 minute ago, Aissy Santos said:

And also unstable voltages doesn't necessarily mean high exceeded measurements.  Usually bad PSUs have that inconsistent delivery which, to be honest, I don't know what specific way they affect the components. 

It depends on what the Problem is.

With shitty PSU you have probably high AC part, because they (at worse) only use one cap per rail, not the usual CLC filter.

And with that high AC, you can have the problem that the voltage. although the average might be 12V, can peak out at 14V or more, if you are "lucky" and that is one of the reasons why those might destroy the components.

@Stefan Payne I live in Croatia,i had that psu for a year now and all was/is ok XD....The new gpu is still in the box, cause i dont want to risk it. i did a lot of searchin and in my price range in stores here only good psu is seasonic focus plus gold 550w so i ordered it, its t2 on that list and it has 99% good reviews.

But tnx for information