Questions About Server Hardware and ZFS

I found the shell for the jail that plex created, and I tried to follow a guide for an older version of freenas- where I got stuck at the first step. 

I attached a screenshot to show the error I am getting when trying to run the command- pkg update

plex jail shell.PNG

8 hours ago, Kered124 said:

Alright, so I am sort of stuck.

I'd really like to use the plex plugin, as it is supposed to be pretty streamlined from what I understand. I went to the plugins section, and clicked install. It created a jail which got an IP address. Now what? I have been looking for plex settings to set up my media and options, but must be missing a step/ looking right past them!

So, now you need to mount the location of your media to the Jail.

By default, the Jail has no access to internal storage on the rest of the system.

You should be able to do this via the Jail section of the GUI - sorry I don't have any screenshots because I'm at work.

Question: Can you access the IP Address that was assigned to the Jail? If so, you should be able to hit the Plex GUI.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 hours ago, Kered124 said:

I found the shell for the jail that plex created, and I tried to follow a guide for an older version of freenas- where I got stuck at the first step. 

I attached a screenshot to show the error I am getting when trying to run the command- pkg update

plex jail shell.PNG

to log into the plex application, go to https://IP-address:32400

you won't be able to manually update plex

4 hours ago, Mikensan said:

to log into the plex application, go to https://IP-address:32400

In my case, this is set as 192.168.0.112 as a static routing.

I am unable to access anything at that IP, with or without the port after the IP.

Plex "installed" itself so quickly that I'm not entirely sure It really did.

I have had a lot of weird stability issues with jails, and virtual machines - some will not boot until I reboot my machine, and then work just fine. 

1 hour ago, Kered124 said:

In my case, this is set as 192.168.0.112 as a static routing.

I am unable to access anything at that IP, with or without the port after the IP.

Plex "installed" itself so quickly that I'm not entirely sure It really did.

I have had a lot of weird stability issues with jails, and virtual machines - some will not boot until I reboot my machine, and then work just fine. 

You're running the Beta version, correct? Could be stability issues related to that.

Any particular reason you didn't go with the latest Stable release?

I would consider wiping your boot drive and starting over, following a guide that version matches the one you're actually installing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

You're running the Beta version, correct? Could be stability issues related to that.

Any particular reason you didn't go with the latest Stable release?

I would consider wiping your boot drive and starting over, following a guide that version matches the one you're actually installing.

I honestly went with the beta because it was the first link I saw on the page, and it seemed to be the recommended one. If I wipe the boot drive and fall back to an older stable version, will I still be able to import my current pool?

33 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

I honestly went with the beta because it was the first link I saw on the page, and it seemed to be the recommended one. If I wipe the boot drive and fall back to an older stable version, will I still be able to import my current pool?

Should import without any issues. When looking at your jails, you see the plex jail as running?

The jail I believe will have its own IP aside from FreeNAS, and that is 192.168.0.112?

1 hour ago, Mikensan said:

The jail I believe will have its own IP aside from FreeNAS, and that is 192.168.0.112?

Yes, the Freenas server itself has an IP of 192.168.0.24, the jail got an IP of 192.168.0.112.

I am very temped to abandon the beta for now, as my last experience using freenas to play around a few months ago was much more pleasant Any suggestions/ opinions?.