Kered124

Questions About Server Hardware and ZFS

8 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

The testing was done on a windows machine with an i7 4770, 16gb ram, and the file was stored on an SSD. I also noticed the same problem on our older roku 2, but assumed the issue stemmed from being old.

And its transcoding? Not trying to direct play? Direct Play can be very taxing if you're playing 1080p DTS content without a DTS direct receiver. 

55 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

Alright, ill contact amazon for a return. The past 2 seagate drives I ordered from them have gad bad blocks from day 1, I don't understand the problem. I have never had great luck with seagate drives as far as lifespan is concerned, but I'm surprised to see any brand new drives with bad blocks.

General consumer drives arent validated, so are more likely to be DoA when received from a vendor as compared to Enterprise drives. Enterprise drives are validated before they leave the manufacturer. One of the downsides to using *cheaper* drives. 

Spoiler

Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6ghz | EVGA Z77 FTW | 2 x EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | Corsair H105 AIO, NZXT Sentry 3, Corsair SP120's | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Black | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | OCZ ZX 1250w | Samsung 28" 4K Display | Ducky Shine 3 Keyboard, Logitech G502, MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers, Razer Goliathus Extended, X360 Controller | Windows 10 Pro | SteelSeries Siberia 350 Headphones

Spoiler

Corsair 400R, IcyDock MB998SP & MB455SPF, Seasonic X-Series 650w PSU, 2 x Xeon E5540's, 24GB DDR3-ECC, Asus Z8NA-D6C Motherboard, AOC-SAS2LP-MV8, LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i, RES2SV240 SAS Expander, Samsung 840Evo 120GB, 2 x 8TB Seagate Archives, 12 x 3TB WD Red

Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

And its transcoding? Not trying to direct play? Direct Play can be very taxing if you're playing 1080p DTS content without a DTS direct receiver. 

How can I validate this? I was using a bog standard fresh install of plex server for testing. 

Just now, Kered124 said:

How can I validate this? I was using a bog standard fresh install of plex server for testing. 

Direct Play is a client side option. I don't use Roku so not sure myself - but this KB suggests its in your User Settings, then try setting Direct Play to Disabled:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/204275243-settings-plex-for-roku/

Spoiler

Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6ghz | EVGA Z77 FTW | 2 x EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 | Corsair H105 AIO, NZXT Sentry 3, Corsair SP120's | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850EVO, 4TB WD Black | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | OCZ ZX 1250w | Samsung 28" 4K Display | Ducky Shine 3 Keyboard, Logitech G502, MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers, Razer Goliathus Extended, X360 Controller | Windows 10 Pro | SteelSeries Siberia 350 Headphones

Spoiler

Corsair 400R, IcyDock MB998SP & MB455SPF, Seasonic X-Series 650w PSU, 2 x Xeon E5540's, 24GB DDR3-ECC, Asus Z8NA-D6C Motherboard, AOC-SAS2LP-MV8, LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i, RES2SV240 SAS Expander, Samsung 840Evo 120GB, 2 x 8TB Seagate Archives, 12 x 3TB WD Red

Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

Direct Play is a client side option. I don't use Roku so not sure myself - but this KB suggests its in your User Settings, then try setting Direct Play to Disabled:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/204275243-settings-plex-for-roku/

Thank you, I will give this a try tonight! I have also noticed some audio sync issues with Plex, that are fixed by pausing the media and unpausing. Have you seen this/ heard how to fix it?

49 minutes ago, Kered124 said:

The testing was done on a windows machine with an i7 4770, 16gb ram, and the file was stored on an SSD. I also noticed the same problem on our older roku 2, but assumed the issue stemmed from being old.

I would still check your system resources on the Plex Server - especially if it's a 4770 running off an SSD. Could be a problem with the system - very easy to test and rule that out, so why not?

Otherwise, hard to say. What codec and bitrate is the 1080p file?

For Sale (lots of stuff):

Spoiler

[FS] [CAD] Various things

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

On 7/9/2018 at 9:22 PM, Mikensan said:

No issues setting up jails, but you have to be mindful to mount persistent storage. As the base kernel for freenas updates the jail does not, and in order to update the jail you have to rebuild it - without persistent storage you'll loose everything. Which one might think "fine I'll leave it at a slightly older version of BSD" until the port requires a kernel update :-(. 

**Also what will the move to iocage mean for users using warden?

Moving to iocage you will be able to update the base of the jails.  There is supposed to be a tool to transfer warden to iocage.