Tablet OS

archerbob

Is it possible or not to replace the OS one has on their tablet?

Can Linus do a video on the various ways like "Change My Software" that claims to do it?

I do not mean installing one OS to another.  I mean I want, for example, to remove Android and install Windows or Linux or Tinycore... frankly I'm afraid to try some of the sketchy ways to do it as I can not really afford to brick my tablet.

Your tablet's processor has to have an X86 architecture to run Windows instructions or code. Android is well optimised for tablets so I highly recommend NOT to install any other OS.

hi.

Depending on the model of tablet and your technical affinity you could try different android distributions. 
Or if you want to get really fancy install a linux with gnome desktop, gnome is pretty well optimized for touch, can be rather high maintenance though.

Generally though, if there isn't anything really killing your tablet experience and you dont enjoy spending hours tinkering there really is no point.

Depends on the tablet.
If it's x86 based, it might be possible, but quite often, if you were to change to OS, you might not get any driver support, meaning it's highly likely that your touchscreen wouldn't work, unless there's a dedicated community around said tablet and other OSes it can run on.

Heck, just installing a Fresh, x86 copy of Windows 10 on my x86 Windows 8 tablet, required me to buy a powered USB hub, amicroUSB to USB_F dongle(OTG), disable Secure Boot in the BIOS along with a few other things... and if the manufacturer wasn't offering the touch screen drivers on their website, I would've been SOL.

With ARM Android based tablets, you can often find "third party" android firmwares, on forums like XDA, the kind that are Stock android experiences or custom ones, but these normally need a Rooted tablet IIRC so if it cannot be rooted, no custom firmware.

As such if you want a tablet that you can screw around with like that, make sure to do some research beforehand to see if it's even possible.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Thanks for the replies, it's generic Irulu x10 tablet with Android Ice Cream, I think its called, 4.2.2 I'll have to go look later and make sure.

Was just trying to find out if it was a difficult or impossible proposition to get to another OS as I'm not all that impressed with Android, I'd tried Tinycore on a PC and like it there so I wanted to see if its possible to put it on a tablet.

30 minutes ago, archerbob said:

Thanks for the replies, it's generic Irulu x10 tablet with Android Ice Cream, I think its called, 4.2.2 I'll have to go look later and make sure.

Was just trying to find out if it was a difficult or impossible proposition to get to another OS as I'm not all that impressed with Android, I'd tried Tinycore on a PC and like it there so I wanted to see if its possible to put it on a tablet.

Not impressed with Android how? You're running an ancient version of Android on a slow cheapo tablet, so that's hardly a fair chance for the operating system. You likely have too little RAM (probably 512MB or 1GB) and app support is slowly dying so you're probably better off getting a name brand tablet in the future.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro