Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jman5625

Faulty PSU Causing PC to Restart?

I realise this thread is extremely old, but I have since figured out that it was the power supply causing the fault. I am not quite sure why or how this happened, all I know is that when the power supply would try and draw too much power it would fail causing the reboot. I am currently using a friend of mine's PSU and it work great. Hopefully this helps anyone who is looking for a solution in future.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone, is it possible that a faulty power supply could cause my system to restart? It has only occured to me while I am playing a game, and the game sometimes is not even a graphically intensive game. I've run Prime95 and Aida64 on both CPU and GPU and temps came back all fine (highest temp I saw was 57 celcius on CPU and probably 60's celcius for GPU). So, could this be a power supply issue? That's my big question.

Thanks.

Spoiler
  1. CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k
  2. CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2
  3. GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC
  4. RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 (white)
  5. Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
  6. Case: Corsair Air 540
  7. PSU: Corsair HX750
  8. SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB
  9. HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB

The only circumstance I know of where the PSU would cause a system restart is if you exceed the power it can supply. 750W is enough, I don't know about the per rail supply though.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

The only circumstance I know of where the PSU would cause a system restart is if you exceed the power it can supply. 750W is enough, I don't know about the per rail supply though.

I've been very skeptical that it was actually the power supply causing this, do you think it could possibly be a ram issue? I could run memtest86.

I'd really doubt that the PSU is the problem if you're running stress tests and it's not failing then.

How much RAM are you running? Have you tried different outlets (Are you running off of an extension cord)? What specific game are you getting the problem on?

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Just now, Imbellis said:

I'd really doubt that the PSU is the problem if you're running stress tests and it's not failing then.

How much RAM are you running? Have you tried different outlets (Are you running off of an extension cord)? What specific game are you getting the problem on?

I'm currently running 8gb of ram, for me it wouldn't be possible to try a different outlet, unless of course I ran an extension cord which I could very well do. Also it's not a specific game, just seems to happen while I am plaing games.

2 minutes ago, Jman5625 said:

I'm currently running 8gb of ram, for me it wouldn't be possible to try a different outlet, unless of course I ran an extension cord which I could very well do. Also it's not a specific game, just seems to happen while I am plaing games.

I'd definitely try running memtest86 - the best ways to check for problems are the free ones.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

1 minute ago, Imbellis said:

I'd definitely try running memtest86 - the best ways to check for problems are the free ones.

Yeah, I'll probably end up running it sometime, luckily I've got a stick of ram I can try too. This is so damn annoying.

22 minutes ago, Jman5625 said:

Hello everyone, is it possible that a faulty power supply could cause my system to restart? It has only occured to me while I am playing a game, and the game sometimes is not even a graphically intensive game. I've run Prime95 and Aida64 on both CPU and GPU and temps came back all fine (highest temp I saw was 57 celcius on CPU and probably 60's celcius for GPU). So, could this be a power supply issue? That's my big question.

Thanks.

Reveal hidden contents
  1. CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k
  2. CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2
  3. GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC
  4. RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 (white)
  5. Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition
  6. Case: Corsair Air 540
  7. PSU: Corsair HX750
  8. SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB
  9. HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB

My PC randomly started doing this a little over a month ago. It's only happened 3 times or so... weird coincidence.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Actually, if a PSU's overloaded, they shut down.  They don't restart.

That's assuming the PSU actually has proper protections.  For all we know, since the OP didn't say what he has, it could be a piece of crap and the voltages are dropping so low under load that the components can't support it.

Typically, when I see reboots, the problem is RAM.  Before you do anything else, make sure "automatically restart" is unchecked (it's checked by default in Windows):  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2621246/how-to-resolve-automatic-restarts-problem-when-windows-7-experiences-a

41 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's assuming the PSU actually has proper protections.  For all we know, since the OP didn't say what he has, it could be a piece of crap and the voltages are dropping so low under load that the components can't support it.

The HX750, it's in the spoiler in the OP. 

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Actually, if a PSU's overloaded, they shut down.  They don't restart.

Typically, when I see reboots, the problem is RAM.  Before you do anything else, make sure "automatically restart" is unchecked (it's checked by default in Windows):  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2621246/how-to-resolve-automatic-restarts-problem-when-windows-7-experiences-a

57 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The HX750, it's in the spoiler in the OP. 

Full list of specs in the spoiler.

2 hours ago, Imbellis said:

So, I ran memtest86, and I came back with 1 error on the 1st run on test 13. And, according to this article the error isn't a massive deal, but what do you think?

51 minutes ago, Jman5625 said:

So, I ran memtest86, and I came back with 1 error on the 1st run on test 13. And, according to this article the error isn't a massive deal, but what do you think?

Any memory errors are an issue, period.

Run the RAM at higher voltage/lower clocks, or RMA it if the problems don't go away.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| I like Power Supplies for whatever reason. Feel free to PM me with any questions. 

My system: PCPartPicker || Resources for PSU information: "links are not allowed ExDee" | For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick

10 hours ago, Jman5625 said:

Hello everyone, is it possible that a faulty power supply could cause my system to restart?

Yes as can a perfectly fine PSU if used in the wrong PC.

Like an old, ~10 Year old PSU combined with more modern components.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, Jman5625 said:

6 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Any memory errors are an issue, period.

@STRMfrmXMN

Is totally right here. Every Memory Error is a huge deal as it shows that there is a Problem like a defective DRAM Chip and exactly that will cause the worst of the worst problems.

random reboots are the least of your problems because Memory Errors will cause data corruption.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

12 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

@STRMfrmXMN

Is totally right here. Every Memory Error is a huge deal as it shows that there is a Problem like a defective DRAM Chip and exactly that will cause the worst of the worst problems.

random reboots are the least of your problems because Memory Errors will cause data corruption.

It probably won't, actually. It's not a normal error. Only the new Passmark edition of memtest86 will produce the errors. They even admit that on their own page.

Had the OP used the standard memtest86 or memtest86+, that error never would have showed up.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  How to build a gaming PC for $400US or less   |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures

Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer

I realise this thread is extremely old, but I have since figured out that it was the power supply causing the fault. I am not quite sure why or how this happened, all I know is that when the power supply would try and draw too much power it would fail causing the reboot. I am currently using a friend of mine's PSU and it work great. Hopefully this helps anyone who is looking for a solution in future.