The Truth About Building Your Own PC

Fr8ty
27 minutes ago, Noctus said:

I'm quite a slow methodical person when building, and there's nothing better than seeing the PC you just put together with care posting which you can then get to setup and tinker to your liking.

Theoretically I can tinker with any system builder PC just as much as I can with one I built myself. The only difference is how anal the company is about making modifications but I've yet to see a pre-built with a "warranty void if removed" sticker on the case. Do you get less in-depth options like overclocking to play with? Sure, but for a lot of people those don't really matter anyway.

10/10 Text formatting.

I love huge blocks of text wall.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

On 10/9/2018 at 5:07 AM, Noctus said:

Gotta agree here. Why on earth would you sit a cup of liquid over an open vent (evenmind even on ur PC in the 1st place) leading directly to all the things that dont like cups of liquid all over them.

While i agree some prebuilds are pretty decent, if your're doing stupid things like above, then prebuilds with their warranty are just for you (assuming you keep a note of when that warranty ends). 

Other than that, building you're own PC is a cakewalk, whip out the mobile (or even the smart TV in w/e room you decided to build in) for youtube/ forum help. Use the age old "measure twice, cut once" rule and slowly put the PC together.

From what i gather 90% of basic PC builds are mostly done the same way, so there's not much deviation to get lost on. Just refer to the MB manual for what slot is what if something doesn't quite match name-wise in a guide you're watching/ reading.

I'm quite a slow methodical person when building, and there's nothing better than seeing the PC you just put together with care posting which you can then get to setup and tinker to your liking.

You are very belligerent. My cup was on my desk like any normal persons would be. The radiator vent was opened. Mistakes happen. You obviously don’t understand the situation.

On 6/29/2018 at 10:03 PM, Fr8ty said:

offend

More then likely yes, you will offend a few.

Me: offended + online = never

Just laugh

easily offended

Yup, most dont need anything expensive, an old used pc works just fine.

On 10/9/2018 at 4:39 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

but for a lot of people

Yup, dont read, pick out a sentence and rock on!

On 10/9/2018 at 5:04 AM, Princess Cadence said:

I love huge blocks of text wall.

yes shit happens, but if shit happens more frequently then normal then somethings up because some people are more prone to mistakes more frequently then others, but yes shit happens.

On 10/13/2018 at 6:33 AM, Fr8ty said:

Mistakes happen

21 hours ago, Fr8ty said:

You are very belligerent. My cup was on my desk like any normal persons would be. The radiator vent was opened. Mistakes happen. You obviously don’t understand the situation.

I called what you did stupid, that is neither angry or aggressive. I understood it quite well. You knocked a cup over your PC that could of been anywhere other than directly in the fall path of a cup on your desk. 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

On 6/30/2018 at 7:14 AM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

However, there are people who have needs that cannot be met with prebuilts (I'm one of them).Then there are those who enjoy building PCs and/or get satisfaction from being able to say, "Yep, built her myself."

I could never bare the noise levels of most prebuilt gaming PC's and knowing they cheaped out on the cooling solution on the graphics card or CPU.

Besides that I and many others here have specific needs and wants when it comes to their system; a big one for me is USB Ports & silence.

Most prebuilt motherboards don't have much USB ports; at least not enough to accommodate my quite frankly insane amount of connections. I could get a powered hub or PCI addon card; but that adds clutter and cost.

There is indeed also something special about a friend saying

"Hey that is a pretty sick looking PC"

Then being able to say

"Yup, she has been forged with these two hands and maintained for over 2 years now"

One thing I don't like about prebuilts more then anything else is their looks.

I am one of the people who is sick of this RGB trend.

For me it became much, doesn't make sense and I am so happy with my CoolerMaster Silencio 652S.

The thing almost looks like a basic server case from some angles, but has loads of room inside and no sidepanel; no lights just simple and rugged.

Nobody has to agree with this, since this all just opinion based.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

2 hours ago, Sfekke said:

I am one of the people who is sick of this RGB trend.

I so do agree with this one! Why would I want my computer to look like Fremont Street or the Strip?

I have a spring powered dreidel a friend gave me a few years ago that, when set to spinning, plays Axel's Theme from Beverly Hills Cop and has flashing RGB LDs. I take it down and five it a spin a couple of times a year and that takes care of my RGB fix 'til the next time I take it down.

Now, excuse me while I take it down from the shelf, take it out of its box,  and give it a spin (it's been at least six months since the last time).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I'm not from the US so this may be irrelevant, but:

How is taking advantage of a prebuilt's warranty any different than taking advantage of the warranties you get for individual components?

I mean, I just built me a computer recently. Almost every single component in it has its own warranty. How is that any less good than having a full-computer prebuilt warranty? 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Most new 

57 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

I'm not from the US so this may be irrelevant, but:

How is taking advantage of a prebuilt's warranty any different than taking advantage of the warranties you get for individual components?

I mean, I just built me a computer recently. Almost every single component in it has its own warranty. How is that any less good than having a full-computer prebuilt warranty? 

Most beginners don’t know how to trouble shoot each individual component.

5 hours ago, PacketMan said:

In just two years building a PC has become a lot easier? How? It's the same.

It really isn’t, the amount of YouTube video guides, aids to help you build ( like the dumb cpu installer took from ASUS), and detailed instructions have improved over the years.

17 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

couple of times a year and that takes care of my RGB fix 'til the next time I take it down.

That right there is the key to why RGB is so successful; at first you are at wow by the effect.

But a few weeks into it it gets mundane and just as boring as a plain case.

On top of that a lot of us don't have the luxury of having a proper room just for their PC; I'd give my soul to get that thing out of my bedroom!

RGB cases with side-panels and fancy styling have a lot of openings for dust to creep in through.

On top of all that have you ever tried sleeping with lights blaring on your face and flashing crazy colors; I have and personally can't sleep all night with that rave party going on.

RGB parts are often heavily marked up, functionally speaking less useful and are here to look pretty and lure in the easily impressed gamers.

.. That'd be my opinion, like I always say nobody has to agree with me.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

5 hours ago, Sfekke said:

That right there is the key to why RGB is so successful; at first you are at wow by the effect.

But a few weeks into it it gets mundane and just as boring as a plain case.

On top of that a lot of us don't have the luxury of having a proper room just for their PC; I'd give my soul to get that thing out of my bedroom!

RGB cases with side-panels and fancy styling have a lot of openings for dust to creep in through.

On top of all that have you ever tried sleeping with lights blaring on your face and flashing crazy colors; I have and personally can't sleep all night with that rave party going on.

RGB parts are often heavily marked up, functionally speaking less useful and are here to look pretty and lure in the easily impressed gamers.

.. That'd be my opinion, like I always say nobody has to agree with me.

It appears you missed the sarcasm.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

It appears you missed the sarcasm.

Oh haha

Well ask anyone who knows me in real life, I'm known to do that : ')

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

Since when can you RMA parts that you spill water on?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

16 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

I wasn’t sure, I just sent it in with broken under the malfunction error and they sent me a new one, I don’t think EVGA water tests their RMA’s like Apple.

Just now, Fr8ty said:

I wasn’t sure, I just sent it in with broken under the malfunction error and they sent me a new one, I don’t think EVGA water tests their RMA’s like Apple.

EVGA is awesome for replacing it, but that is kind of a shitty thing to do.  There was nothing defective about the hardware until you broke it.  Just saying...

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

On 10/14/2018 at 9:59 AM, Fr8ty said:

It really isn’t, the amount of YouTube video guides, aids to help you build ( like the dumb cpu installer took from ASUS), and detailed instructions have improved over the years.

That doesn't make the task easier. And it's not like hardware manuals don't have instructions on how to install them anyway. So really those YouTube videos are redundant save for a few things that the manuals don't tell you like how to cable manage or whatnot.

On 10/15/2018 at 11:34 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

That doesn't make the task easier. And it's not like hardware manuals don't have instructions on how to install them anyway. So really those YouTube videos are redundant save for a few things that the manuals don't tell you like how to cable manage or whatnot.

If you don’t think pc building has became easier of the years I would do some research if I were you...

On 10/15/2018 at 10:27 AM, TahoeDust said:

EVGA is awesome for replacing it, but that is kind of a shitty thing to do.  There was nothing defective about the hardware until you broke it.  Just saying...

Your right, I wasn’t sure what the warranty covered so I sent it in, If I knew they didn’t cover water damage I wouldn’t have sent it in, I do know that they obviously don’t check however.

I think that in some cases, yes, a prebuilt would be less hassle. They would not have to deal with compatibility, building the thing, or diagnosing problems.

BUT

There are many people out there who are interested in computers but have never gotten their chance to make one, or people who watch LTT on Youtube and decide to join the Master Race. I think it is best for these people to take ownership over their build because of the amount of confidence, knowledge and responsibility that is gained. I have convinced people to do so if they were in this position.

Grandma should not build her own computer. But if there is a tech-curious adventurous viewer of Lienus who wants to get into the game, 100% they should build their own computer. People like us are here to help, Lienus is here to help too... がんばって。

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

On 10/15/2018 at 5:07 PM, TahoeDust said:

This was my thoughts as well, you shouldn't really be able to get a refund or replacement on something you broke.

Edited by SADS
wrote should instead of shoudn't...derp

Your picturing the people who definatly wont build their own pc . And use the "fear" argument to support why they wont fix the problem themselves. Which is a non-factor to people who actually  built their pc. They dont have  that fear.

Case and point is newbies buy prebuilt and experienced people build themselves

On 6/30/2018 at 1:03 AM, Fr8ty said:

This community is great, but what I'm about to say might offend some of the dedicated pc builders and tech savvies, but I believe it is the truth. I built my first pc 2 years ago and it has been a wonderful experience. I had almost no trouble shooting errors (except not flipping on the on switch on the back of the power supply my first boot which freaked the hell outa me) and I have had a great time exploring this area of technology. Now pc building has become a lot easier imo and is much easier to do now adays. I honestly believe the adult lego metaphor for pc building is an accurate representation of it. I even helped my friend build a pc who was originally going to buy a prebuilt system to begin with. But last night was my first major error. I have a define S case from fractal and I am cooling my cpu with an h100i v2. Now I have the radiator mounted to the top of the case rather the side and that makes it so I can't place the top panels on the case leaving a vent film almost open. I was standing up from my desk and i knocked a cup of water into the pc. Thankfully only the graphics card was damaged and I am in the process of and rma as we speak. Now uneducated people might have thought the whole system was ruined and taken it in. This is where prebuilts shine. A prebuilt you dont have to worry about which part is under warranty or which part was damaged. You can just take it in and trade it in for a new system if under warrenty and ask for your hard drive back. And its true buying a prebuilt is so much easier and less stressful. I spent probably 20 hours building and researching all the components for my pc. Worrying that i was going to mess up. I probably watched 10 tutorials on how to build my pc. Especially now with RAM and GPU prices being so high prebuilts might be the better option to go with currently. But I would have to say I would never trade anything for the knowledge i gained building my pc. I feel much more comfortable troubleshooting now and handling the computer components and I feel as if everyone should have the experience. But if you just want a pc and you just want to plug it in and not have to worry about anything I recommend a prebuilt all the way. I promise you eventually you will have an issue with the pc you built but in my opinion it is a challenge for you to figure out how you fix it. I hope this helped anyone who is debating on building a pc make their decision. I will be happy to answer questions or guide you through the process and help make new people more comfortable when starting this project. Thank you 

Baiting subjective point of view is very subjective. Very controversial

Image result for much opinion doge

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

17 hours ago, blitzilla said:

Your picturing the people who definatly wont build their own pc . And use the "fear" argument to support why they wont fix the problem themselves. Which is a non-factor to people who actually  built their pc. They dont have  that fear.

Case and point is newbies buy prebuilt and experienced people build themselves

Am I wrong?