Changing my WAN IPV4

Fr8ty
On 7/1/2018 at 7:25 PM, imreloadin said:

So why then? You did some shady shit and now you're scared or something lol?

I told you it’s not shady or illegal lmao

It has something to do with business 

1 hour ago, Fr8ty said:

I told you it’s not shady or illegal lmao

1 hour ago, Fr8ty said:

Then what warrants being so tight lipped about it?

First is why are you trying so hard to change your IP? I cant think of anything business related

Second is DHCP leases can vary, I set ours for 24 hours due to less and less available licenses since some customers like to put switches ahead of their router and pull 20 leases. 

Third is calling your ISP will not always get you a new IP. DHCP is in the name, dynamic... You cant force a new one. You clear ARP and most likely you will get the same lease because it was the last available.  

Fourth is again, why do you need one so bad?

Just remember if you did anything illegal and are trying to get out of it. Because Option 82 is required by law, I and other ISPs have a log of the past year of your leases....No matter what mac address you have or have changed it to :)

10 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

First is why are you trying so hard to change your IP? I cant think of anything business related

Second is DHCP leases can vary, I set ours for 24 hours due to less and less available licenses since some customers like to put switches ahead of their router and pull 20 leases. 

Third is calling your ISP will not always get you a new IP. DHCP is in the name, dynamic... You cant force a new one. You clear ARP and most likely you will get the same lease because it was the last available.  

Fourth is again, why do you need one so bad?

Just remember if you did anything illegal and are trying to get out of it. Because Option 82 is required by law, I and other ISPs have a log of the past year of your leases....No matter what mac address you have or have changed it to :)

How many times do I have to say that I did nothing immoral. I would think that privacy on this forums would be respected. I work as a coder for a software and one of my competitors has found my real ip. I am just trying to change it and I would like a definite time so I am not unplugging my router for a time longer than needed. If anyone knows anything about spectrum lease times that would be helpful.:)

Indeed DHCP can be a weird beast.  On my LAN all IPs are static with the range 90-99 dynamic to make getting new devices up and running quicker.  Yet it frequently assigns 93 to new devices for no logical reason as to why it wouldn't use 90.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

13 minutes ago, Fr8ty said:

How many times do I have to say that I did nothing immoral. I would think that privacy on this forums would be respected. I work as a coder for a software and one of my competitors has found my real ip. I am just trying to change it and I would like a definite time so I am not unplugging my router for a time longer than needed. If anyone knows anything about spectrum lease times that would be helpful.:)

Thats all you had to say dude. 

This forum does take privacy into account but there are a ton of people here trying to get out of a situation quickly for something bad they did. Same with people trying to bypass VPNs at schools. Its against the rules, we just need to know. 

So there are two options

1 - If a competitor has found your IP what are your fears he will do? If he begins to act maliciously then you can pull the logs up on your modem (or you ISP can) and you can file a police report. Trust me, they actually work. This will get him in a ton of trouble, maybe even give you one less competitor lol.

2 - I work with Spectrum often on sites with two internet connections and I cant determine their lease as I never deal with DHCP customers from Spectrum. Just give them a quick call and ask them. Give them the situation you are in and ask for the lease time and unplug.

Now I frown upon 2 with a passion because if you competitor begins DOSing you, well you probably just gave that problem to someone else because you didnt want it. Take it as you will but letting them attack you or notifying spectrum about it is your best bet. Trust me, ISPs dont want excess traffic on their network either from attacks and most have extra equipment to deal with it. 

39 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Thats all you had to say dude. 

This forum does take privacy into account but there are a ton of people here trying to get out of a situation quickly for something bad they did. Same with people trying to bypass VPNs at schools. Its against the rules, we just need to know. 

So there are two options

1 - If a competitor has found your IP what are your fears he will do? If he begins to act maliciously then you can pull the logs up on your modem (or you ISP can) and you can file a police report. Trust me, they actually work. This will get him in a ton of trouble, maybe even give you one less competitor lol.

2 - I work with Spectrum often on sites with two internet connections and I cant determine their lease as I never deal with DHCP customers from Spectrum. Just give them a quick call and ask them. Give them the situation you are in and ask for the lease time and unplug.

Now I frown upon 2 with a passion because if you competitor begins DOSing you, well you probably just gave that problem to someone else because you didnt want it. Take it as you will but letting them attack you or notifying spectrum about it is your best bet. Trust me, ISPs dont want excess traffic on their network either from attacks and most have extra equipment to deal with it. 

Yeah I know that it would be a pain to someone else which Is why I think you should be able to report your current ip and be assigned a new one and the old one to be trashed not reassigned. But it’s not just ddosing that most people can deal with even if it’s a 12 hour, I’m sure some of you network savvy people know how much information you can get from an ip and well you can’t trace the logs of a proxy...

3 minutes ago, Fr8ty said:

one to be trashed

With the shortage of IPv4 addresses I can assure you not a single IP will ever be trashed.

35 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

With the shortage of IPv4 addresses I can assure you not a single IP will ever be trashed.

Understandable , should move to three digit ...

4 hours ago, Fr8ty said:

I don't really care why you want to and it's not important to the conversation. Does your your router have shell access? (a terminal)

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

So you want to change your public IP? There are only two ways that I know of to achieve this and both have already been suggested.

1) Unplug the router until the lease renews.

2) Buy a new router.

Both would cause your ISP's DHCP to issue a new IPv4 address. (Your ISP would still know that it is you)

You mentioned it is for business reasons - you may want to check the small print of your ISP contract. Most ISPs will not permit you to run a business through a home Internet connection, instead you'd need to purchase a business line from them.

Want to disguise your IP? Use a VPN. Your ISP will still know that you're transmitting the traffic, and probably the VPN destination, but they won't be able to see what traffic is being sent.

In your DDOS example, yes, changing your IP may work, but it would only be a temporary solution. Once the DNS records have updated, the DDOS attacks would more than likely repoint to your new IP address.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

Going to all this trouble based on something that might never happen seems pretty insane.

As others have pointed out, if your competitor does something illegal THEN you have a valid complaint to make to your ISP.  Until then, this seem like a lot of hassle for what could ultimately result in your competitor finding out your new IP and being in the same position again.

If the Internet is THAT important to you doing your work then:

1) You really should have a backup so that any problem with your main connection doesn't interrupt your work.
2)  Leaving the router off for two days or more to "hopefully" get a different IP address is going to do more damage than your competitor has at this point!

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

On 7/2/2018 at 1:55 AM, jde3 said:

I don't really care why you want to and it's not important to the conversation. Does your your router have shell access? (a terminal)

I do not think so sense it is a router/modem combo

On 7/2/2018 at 2:17 AM, chiller15 said:

So you want to change your public IP? There are only two ways that I know of to achieve this and both have already been suggested.

1) Unplug the router until the lease renews.

2) Buy a new router.

Both would cause your ISP's DHCP to issue a new IPv4 address. (Your ISP would still know that it is you)

You mentioned it is for business reasons - you may want to check the small print of your ISP contract. Most ISPs will not permit you to run a business through a home Internet connection, instead you'd need to purchase a business line from them.

Want to disguise your IP? Use a VPN. Your ISP will still know that you're transmitting the traffic, and probably the VPN destination, but they won't be able to see what traffic is being sent.

In your DDOS example, yes, changing your IP may work, but it would only be a temporary solution. Once the DNS records have updated, the DDOS attacks would more than likely repoint to your new IP address.

How so he would not have my new ip?

Might call today

On 7/1/2018 at 7:35 PM, Fr8ty said:

Its $75/month for 100/10 mbps Spectrum Business with 1 static IP. Sign up for that and your IP will change.

However, if you call them and explain the situation they will re-lease you a new IP which is by far the easiest/cheapest way.

On 02/07/2018 at 4:27 PM, Fr8ty said:

Well he managed to find out your current one, how did he do that?

My point is if he is determined enough to do something bad, what makes you think changing your IP will stop him?
Or the more likely scenario that he will do nothing, no need to change it in the first place.

On 7/2/2018 at 4:27 PM, Fr8ty said:

DNS records update automatically across the globe.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

5 hours ago, chiller15 said:

I'm not aware of any ISP that assigns DNS to a specific user, there is no benefit to them in adding this extra overhead to their network.

Generally if an ISP bothers to assign DNS to their customer IPs, its merely to identify which region you are connecting to, not even necessarily from.  Its why identifying your location from your IP address is often completely wrong.

In the UK at least I know cable do register their IP addresses with DNS to identify where on the network it is, but that still doesn't identify a person, not even sure its specific to a street cabinet.

If ISPs used DNS to identify customers, nobody would need dynamic DNS services.

7 hours ago, chiller15 said:

There's reverse PTR records per IP, but if you've seen a few they all (mostly) follow a similar naming scheme and only represent the IP, ISP and sometimes the AS number, but no customer representative information.

Please show us examples of an ISP actually coordinating forward resolving DNS records for specific customers, because otherwise that's generally unheard of and adds complexity to the ISP side which offers them zero benefit.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

I don't think legally they could even do this, it opens up so many invasion of privacy issues.

Its not in an ISPs best interest to allow their customers to be easily targeted either.

It doesn't make their job any easier as the ISP can check which IP a user has been subscribed to anyway from their RADIUS server.

On 7/1/2018 at 9:47 PM, Fr8ty said:

How many times do I have to say that I did nothing immoral. I would think that privacy on this forums would be respected.

Because we also want to make sure that we aren't helping you do something immoral.  Before your explanation, I couldn't think of any non-shady explanation for your situation.  Now networking is something I've always struggled with anyway so I wasn't going to be much help anyway, but it was sketchy enough that I definitely didn't want to be involved.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

36 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Because we also want to make sure that we aren't helping you do something immoral.  Before your explanation, I couldn't think of any non-shady explanation for your situation.  Now networking is something I've always struggled with anyway so I wasn't going to be much help anyway, but it was sketchy enough that I definitely didn't want to be involved.

The thing is if I were to do something sketchy I should already know how to do this and I should know how to be untraceable ?

11 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I don't think legally they could even do this, it opens up so many invasion of privacy issues.

Its not in an ISPs best interest to allow their customers to be easily targeted either.

It doesn't make their job any easier as the ISP can check which IP a user has been subscribed to anyway from their RADIUS server.

True

I work for an ISP and can tell you if you fear it's been comromised they should get you to the security team they have be it in tech support or otherwise. 

13 minutes ago, Tellos said:

I work for an ISP and can tell you if you fear it's been comromised they should get you to the security team they have be it in tech support or otherwise. 

Huh okay..

@Fr8ty if it were somebody calling me fearing a compromised IP address I'd be getting them to CSA teams asap.