Changing my WAN IPV4

Fr8ty

Hey so I have a dynamic public ip and I use spectrum (used to be called time warner cable) and when I log into my router there is no area to clone my MAC address or change my public ip. I can only renew and refresh my ipv6. My ip is dynamic so I am confused. Is there anyway I can change it, i have tried unplugging my router/modem combo (it  is a ubee) for 10 minutes.

2 minutes ago, Fr8ty said:

Hey so I have a dynamic public ip and I use spectrum (used to be called time warner cable) and when I log into my router there is no area to clone my MAC address or change my public ip. I can only renew and refresh my ipv6. My ip is dynamic so I am confused. Is there anyway I can change it, i have tried unplugging my router/modem combo (it  is a ubee) for 10 minutes.

Public IP addresses are handed out by the provider, not your router.

Nothing you can do here (assuming I am understanding your question correctly)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Public IP addresses are handed out by the provider, not your router.

Nothing you can do here (assuming I am understanding your question correctly)

Are you sure, it seems like all of the other people I have spoken to have an option in their router log in to clone your MAC address which changes your public ip. Seems like my router is the only one that doesn't have that option

6 hours ago, Fr8ty said:

Are you sure, it seems like all of the other people I have spoken to have an option in their router log in to clone your MAC address which changes your public ip. Seems like my router is the only one that doesn't have that option

You said so yourself, there was no option to clone or change your MAC address.

And anyway, why do you want to change it?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

TWC/Spectrum has a DHCP lease time of about 2 days so you would need to leave it unplugged for a couple days to get a new IP address. The only other option is to change the router if you don't have the option to clone/change the MAC address of the router's WAN interface.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

27 minutes ago, Lurick said:

TWC/Spectrum has a DHCP lease time of about 2 days so you would need to leave it unplugged for a couple days to get a new IP address. The only other option is to change the router if you don't have the option to clone/change the MAC address of the router's WAN interface.

Dang 2 days, thanks for the help 

8 hours ago, Fr8ty said:

Generally the Mac address thing works if you have separate modem and router. If you have an all in one your screwed. The only option for you is to unplug your gateway until the lease on the IP expires. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Generally the Mac address thing works if you have separate modem and router. If you have an all in one your screwed. The only option for you is to unplug your gateway until the lease on the IP expires. 

So 2 days ... dang maybe when I’m out of town or something 

4 minutes ago, Fr8ty said:

So 2 days ... dang maybe when I’m out of town or something 

It might be a day, it's been a long time since I had to do that though since most of the time I had the option to change the MAC easily.

If you need it reset though you could try calling them and ask them to renew your lease.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

27 minutes ago, Lurick said:

It might be a day, it's been a long time since I had to do that though since most of the time I had the option to change the MAC easily.

If you need it reset though you could try calling them and ask them to renew your lease.

Yeah I heard they are strict about calling in though

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

And anyway, why do you want to change it?

This is my question as well

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

2 hours ago, beersykins said:

This is my question as well

Hahaha reasons most of you could probably guess 

4 hours ago, Fr8ty said:

Hahaha reasons most of you could probably guess 

You want to change your IP address, use a VPN

40 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You want to change your IP address, use a VPN

That doesn’t do anything if your original ip is in the hands of someone

1 hour ago, Fr8ty said:

That doesn’t do anything if your original ip is in the hands of someone

False, from a remote perspective there's no difference unless you have webrtc leaking

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

On 6/30/2018 at 6:37 PM, beersykins said:

False, from a remote perspective there's no difference unless you have webrtc leaking

No lets use a ddos as an example. Wether I have a vpn on or not and I get hit with an attack I will still be ddosed. All a vpn does is change your ip for someone seeing it. Not from someone who already knows your real ip. 

It is very difficult for people to find your new legitimate ip through your old ip, that takes skill and knowledge.

So what exactly are you doing that results in getting ddos constantly? It's pretty clear your knowledge of networking is limited.

On 6/30/2018 at 7:37 PM, beersykins said:

So what exactly are you doing that results in getting ddos constantly? It's pretty clear your knowledge of networking is limited.

I used ddosing as an example if you couldn't tell

On 6/30/2018 at 7:37 PM, beersykins said:

So you are going to tell me that a vpn totally changes your ip, I think you might be the one who is limited

9 minutes ago, Fr8ty said:

So you are going to tell me that a vpn totally changes your ip, I think you might be the one who is limited

It does change the IP, but, you still have to connect to the VPN server. So basically when you use a VPN it creates a secure encrypted tunnel to the VPN server. From there when you visit a site it will show the VPN's IP as yours. Thats why pirates use VPN's, because the MPAA will only track them as far as the VPN server. However, if some one does have the IP from your ISP, they can still attack you. 

9 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

It does change the IP, but, you still have to connect to the VPN server. So basically when you use a VPN it creates a secure encrypted tunnel to the VPN server. From there when you visit a site it will show the VPN's IP as yours. Thats why pirates use VPN's, because the MPAA will only track them as far as the VPN server. However, if some one does have the IP from your ISP, they can still attack you. 

Exactly if they have your ACTUAL IP there is nothing you can do unless you change it. I use vpns and proxys 90 percent of the time but when someone gets your actual ip.

I still think the key point here is to know WHY you want to change it?

If they are giving out IPv6 I'm kinda surprised its not static anyway and it explains why cloning the MAC address is not possible, as its not something you should ever need to do (for legitimate reasons) on IPv6.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

9 hours ago, beersykins said:

8 hours ago, Fr8ty said:

How about you both chill out a little?  This forum is for helping each other and debating how Linus snagged himself a wife despite his preferred footwear (sock with sandals). :)

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I still think the key point here is to know WHY you want to change it?

If they are giving out IPv6 I'm kinda surprised its not static anyway and it explains why cloning the MAC address is not possible, as its not something you should ever need to do (for legitimate reasons) on IPv6.

Many ISP's in the US dual stack IPv4 and IPv6 addresses as not all sites and services use IPv6. Plus they dont give statics for free, they have to have some bull shit reason to charge you an additional monthly charge, or else it wouldn't be capitalism. Also mac address cloning is not available in gateways from what I have seen, at least not rented units from ISP's.

For whatever reason you want to change your IP address, and it's clear you are not going to tell us, so we can only assume it's for nefarious purposes, and since your router won't do it, then go buy a router that will...

On 7/1/2018 at 4:46 AM, JoostinOnline said:

How about you both chill out a little? 

That's not even intense bro