ITheSpazI

So I traded away my desktop.....now what?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am trading my desktop in my description away on craigslist tomorrow for a 2017** HP Omen Laptop. 

I Put *** since I'm not 100% sure about some of the specs of the laptop since the guys is not very good with computers (some of it is guessing based on hp website and the pictures he sent)

They got ryzen 1600, 8GB ram, 1TB hdd, 120SSD,r9 290 (watercooled)

I Got** i7 7700hq,8GB,1TB hdd,Optane drive?, gtx 1050

I plan to add atleast a 120 NVMe drive, bigger hdd, and at least 8 GB more RAM

I kept my rx480 and I was going to eGPU thunderbolt dock it. with ether a razer core or HPs own OMEN dock  (cuz its way cheaper)  

Does this seem like a good idea?

I7-4770\\ Corsair Air 240 \\ RX480 8GB \\ 16GB DDR3 2400 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Maximius Impact Vii

3 minutes ago, ITheSpazI said:

I am trading my desktop in my description away on craigslist tomorrow for a 2017** HP Omen Laptop. 

I Put *** since I'm not 100% sure about some of the specs of the laptop since the guys is not very good with computers (some of it is guessing based on hp website and the pictures he sent)

They got ryzen 1600, 8GB ram, 1TB hdd, 120SSD,r9 290 (watercooled)

I Got** i7 7700hq,8GB,1TB hdd,Optane drive?, gtx 1050

I plan to add atleast a 120 NVMe drive, bigger hdd, and at least 8 GB more RAM

I kept my rx480 and I was going to eGPU thunderbolt dock it. with ether a razer core or HPs own OMEN dock  (cuz its way cheaper)  

Does this seem like a good idea?

No. Keep the desktop lmao. You have so much more room for upgrading in the future

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 960 

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

You did trade or your planning to trade... Your title and comment don't coincide.

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing. ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My Phones are a Nokia Lumia 925 with WM10 and a Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with WM10 running the Fast Ring insider updates.

About Myself: https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, AskTJ said:

Why not just keep your build?

I dont really have a laptop to take with me on trips (i do but its a 2009 macbook with a shot battery) and I don't have the money to just straight up buy a new laptop, so I thought this would be a good compromise 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

You did trade or your planning to trade... Your title and comment don't coincide.

Its basically not mine anymore, I just haven't physically gotten rid of it yet.

I7-4770\\ Corsair Air 240 \\ RX480 8GB \\ 16GB DDR3 2400 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Maximius Impact Vii

You’re going to get less performance due to the thermal throttling the CPU will eventually hit. You essentially just downgraded overall. 

Spoiler

Remember to quote me or tag me to get my attention in a post!

Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): G4560 | Copper-cored Stock Cooler | GTX 480 1.5GB | 1x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (Running 2400) | ASRock H110M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6s + 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) Dell 230W Power Brick | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice) Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): A4 6300 | Stock AMD Cooler | ASRock FM2A88M Extreme4+ | Palit StormX GTX 1050 2GB | 2x4GB >Brand< DDR3-1866 | Crucial BX200 240GB | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig): G3258 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | KFA2 GTX 560 Ti EX OC | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist | PSU Tier List F@H stats | Mining Ethereum

Cancel the trade and buy a laptop. 

Tell him sorry & no. 

PC game list: 

Build Plan: 

Yeah agree with everyone in the thread, hit the brakes and back out. Keep your desktop.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|2X GTX 980 in SLI| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

32 minutes ago, ITheSpazI said:

I dont really have a laptop to take with me on trips (i do but its a 2009 macbook with a shot battery) and I don't have the money to just straight up buy a new laptop, so I thought this would be a good compromise 

Its basically not mine anymore, I just haven't physically gotten rid of it yet.

So replace the battery of the MacBook.

If you want to play games on the go, then get a Switch.

That is my advice. Keep the desktop.

I'm with all of the previous comments as well. Keep the desktop and replace the MacBook's battery!

The only thing you'll gain is portability, but for the hefty price of a decreased performance. Don't get me wrong, the 2017 HP Omen is a very decent laptop, but it is not worth it to trade in your desktop for this.