So I traded away my desktop.....now what?

Taswell

I am trading my desktop in my description away on craigslist tomorrow for a 2017** HP Omen Laptop. 

I Put *** since I'm not 100% sure about some of the specs of the laptop since the guys is not very good with computers (some of it is guessing based on hp website and the pictures he sent)

They got ryzen 1600, 8GB ram, 1TB hdd, 120SSD,r9 290 (watercooled)

I Got** i7 7700hq,8GB,1TB hdd,Optane drive?, gtx 1050

I plan to add atleast a 120 NVMe drive, bigger hdd, and at least 8 GB more RAM

I kept my rx480 and I was going to eGPU thunderbolt dock it. with ether a razer core or HPs own OMEN dock  (cuz its way cheaper)  

Does this seem like a good idea?

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

3 minutes ago, ITheSpazI said:

I am trading my desktop in my description away on craigslist tomorrow for a 2017** HP Omen Laptop. 

I Put *** since I'm not 100% sure about some of the specs of the laptop since the guys is not very good with computers (some of it is guessing based on hp website and the pictures he sent)

They got ryzen 1600, 8GB ram, 1TB hdd, 120SSD,r9 290 (watercooled)

I Got** i7 7700hq,8GB,1TB hdd,Optane drive?, gtx 1050

I plan to add atleast a 120 NVMe drive, bigger hdd, and at least 8 GB more RAM

I kept my rx480 and I was going to eGPU thunderbolt dock it. with ether a razer core or HPs own OMEN dock  (cuz its way cheaper)  

Does this seem like a good idea?

No. Keep the desktop lmao. You have so much more room for upgrading in the future

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

You did trade or your planning to trade... Your title and comment don't coincide.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, AskTJ said:

Why not just keep your build?

I dont really have a laptop to take with me on trips (i do but its a 2009 macbook with a shot battery) and I don't have the money to just straight up buy a new laptop, so I thought this would be a good compromise 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

You did trade or your planning to trade... Your title and comment don't coincide.

Its basically not mine anymore, I just haven't physically gotten rid of it yet.

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

Cancel the trade and buy a laptop. 

Tell him sorry & no. 

Yeah agree with everyone in the thread, hit the brakes and back out. Keep your desktop.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

32 minutes ago, ITheSpazI said:

I dont really have a laptop to take with me on trips (i do but its a 2009 macbook with a shot battery) and I don't have the money to just straight up buy a new laptop, so I thought this would be a good compromise 

Its basically not mine anymore, I just haven't physically gotten rid of it yet.

So replace the battery of the MacBook.

If you want to play games on the go, then get a Switch.

That is my advice. Keep the desktop.

I'm with all of the previous comments as well. Keep the desktop and replace the MacBook's battery!

The only thing you'll gain is portability, but for the hefty price of a decreased performance. Don't get me wrong, the 2017 HP Omen is a very decent laptop, but it is not worth it to trade in your desktop for this.