I just got my first sound card

EPICSNIPER145

Well if he is watching on an ancient computer,chances are they cannot even play video well.furthermore as i have said,software can be used to increase volume.

Lose the attitude. A 7 year old computer could have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 in it. More than capable of running HD YouTube videos.

As for using software to boost gain, dedicated hardware is much better for amplifying an analog signal than software black magic.

Lose the attitude.

A 7 year old computer could have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 in it.

More than capable of running HD YouTube videos.

Or the aforementioned Opteron 3600+

If the OP's problem with his sound solution is volume, then isn't louder better?

That can be solved with software alone,as I have mentioned just now.

The point we want to make is that it is not a good buy.

Lose the attitude.

A 7 year old computer could have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 in it.

More than capable of running HD YouTube videos.

I thought AC97 is only existent on like very very early mobos?Furthermore you ignored the software part I said...

That can be solved with software alone,as I have mentioned just now.

The point we want to make is that it is not a good buy.

I thought AC97 is only existent on like very very early mobos?

AC97 is not the only bad onboard audio. "HD" does not make it inherently good, and there are many factors at play (chipsts, interference, driver issues, even crappy quality ports that can die) that go beyond AC97 vs HD onboard audio.

The chipset on my Dell XPS 12 for example is absolutely terrible. Everything has a terrible reverb effect. I thought there was something wrong with our mic placemetn the first time I reviewed one of our video uploads on that computer. Plugged in my E10 and all was well.

As the saying goes, "If you're going to be disrespectful to someone and put them down, then you'd better be damn sure you're right or someone else will come along and do the same to you quick-fast"

to be clear I'm not sure if that thing above is a well-known saying, but it should be...

edit: I edited the above post to address using software to boost gain. If that was an ideal solution we shouldn't be running around recommending O2s to everyone either...

AC97 is not the only bad onboard audio. "HD" does not make it inherently good, and there are many factors at play (chipsts, interference, driver issues, even crappy quality ports that can die) that go beyond AC97 vs HD onboard audio.

The chipset on my Dell XPS 12 for example is absolutely terrible. Everything has a terrible reverb effect. I thought there was something wrong with our mic placemetn the first time I reviewed one of our video uploads on that computer. Plugged in my E10 and all was well.

As the saying goes, "If you're going to be disrespectful to someone and put them down, then you'd better be damn sure you're right or someone else will come along and do the same to you quick-fast"

to be clear I'm not sure if that thing above is a well-known saying, but it should be...

In a futile attempt to be ever helpful, did you disable all the realtek/dell audio nonsense in the driver software that gets turned on at the factory?

In a futile attempt to be ever helpful, did you disable all the realtek/dell audio nonsense in the driver software that gets turned on at the factory?

Tried uninstalling the stock driver outright. It may have simply had the undesirable effect of locking whatever setting it is in the "maximum enjoyment" position.

It's not actually my biggest issue with the laptop anyway, and I've been meaning to reformat so I haven't looked into it much. It doesn't really matter because I carry an E10 in my backpack with me anyway.

Thanks for helping though :)

Why don't you go and find the test? I could tell you I went to the moon recently but without any proof it's just words on the internet.

So come on let's see it.

couldn't find one huh?

There aren't many out there, know why?  they all measure within a bulls roar of spec.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Tried uninstalling the stock driver outright. It may have simply had the undesirable effect of locking whatever setting it is in the "maximum enjoyment" position.

It's not actually my biggest issue with the laptop anyway, and I've been meaning to reformat so I haven't looked into it much. It doesn't really matter because I carry an E10 in my backpack with me anyway.

Thanks for helping though :)

Me thinks that you are give or take right, though uninstalling the drivers can have equally undesirable effects 

Me thinks that you are give or take right, though uninstalling the drivers can have equally undesirable effects 

Yeah. Sound drivers are such a bitch... Sometimes windows update ones work awesome. Sometimes you need the driver package. Sometimes sacrificing a red frog to the 5th moon of jupiter on a black night helps...

The chipset on my Dell XPS 12 for example is absolutely terrible. Everything has a terrible reverb effect.

to be clear I'm not sure if that thing above is a well-known saying, but it should be..

the point is about the loudness,and not the quality of the sound,and the more modern ones are fine if software is used,although not as good as a real sound card abviously.

And the saying thing what?Dont understand what you mean.

Yeah. Sound drivers are such a bitch... Sometimes windows update ones work awesome. Sometimes you need the driver package. Sometimes sacrificing a red frog to the 5th moon of jupiter on a black night helps...

ASIO drivers be praised, amusingly enough the sound blaster I use because my motherboard doesn't have onboard hasn't given me issues in the three years I've had it. With that said I also never use it, and it has plug and play drivers. 

the point is about the loudness,and not the quality of the sound,and the more modern ones are fine if software is used,although not as good as a real sound card abviously.

And the saying thing what?Dont understand what you mean.

Why would anyone want to increase loudness without maintaining quality?

Most modern ones may be fine, but as I've already said, a big part of my issue is no one even asked the OP about his hardware config. He might have a really old onboard sound card.

The saying thing is just a joke. It's okay.

nah,  I've run out of frogs and still have windows driver issues.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

couldn't find one huh?

There aren't many out there, know why?  they all measure within a bulls roar of spec.

O RLY?

So you reply to me with no facts, just more of your opinion. Now I've looked around for the stats on these so called "newer" Realtek HDs and I can't find any. Neither can you it seems, so it would appear you're just talking arsemoo.

I showed the difference between the sound card I use and Realtek HD. Now it's up to you to prove that 

1. There is a newer Realtek HD that fares far better in testing and

2. The test results.

Find me these mythical test results and I may even bury my XFI in the snow (hint I won't because I think the onboard sounds like shit).

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Why would anyone want to increase loudness without maintaining quality?

Most modern ones may be fine, but as I've already said, a big part of my issue is no one even asked the OP about his hardware config. He might have a really old onboard sound card.

The saying thing is just a joke. It's okay.

How can we lose quality?VLC on 200% and perfectly fine.Using onboard audio on a BIOSTAR H61MGV,there is no worse motherboard in the market than this one on the LGA1155 platform.I say the audio should be bad enough.

Really old onboard sound only exist on really old computers,and unless the OP manage to hack a Q6600 into a 865GV motherboard,there is no way for him to have too bad onboard audio in the first place.

what joke?wat?

my brain just exploded

I have an Asus m5a97 le r2.0 mono and I found it quiet for my headphones so that is why I got an amped sound card and I also like how they sounds to my ears they sound better but idk

How can we lose quality?VLC on 200% and perfectly fine.Using onboard audio on a BIOSTAR H61MGV,there is no worse motherboard in the market than this one on the LGA1155 platform.

Really old onboard sound only exist on really old computers,and unless the OP manage to hack a Q6600 into a 865GV motherboard,there is no way for him to have too bad onboard audio in the first place.

what joke?wat?

If you want to discuss software amplification versus hardware-based amps, I think that probably merits a separate thread where people can answer the question for you.

As for really old onboard being bad, It is.

As for onboard on low end motherboards being bad, it can be. I'm glad to hear yours is fine.

Thread de-railment is not my issue here.

We have lots of off topic discussion on this forum and we're pretty casual about that kind of stuff. It's one of the things I like about this place.

My issue is with what went on while the OP was still participating in the conversation.

I would like this topic to be closed it is degrading for us all. I started it thinking it would be just another post but not it starting massive controversy. Linus can you check you messages I just sent you one

My first sound card was an Audigy 2zs which I got I back in 2005, threw it into an Athlon 64 build; good times. Was definitely superior to onboard at the time. Since then I have not personally done any side by side testing with modern sound cards vs onboard.

@LinusTech, would you ever consider for your channel doing an experiment comparing some upper tier soundcards vs onboard; using blind listening tests. It's well known that some sound cards use superior DACs and some people swear they sound better subjectively. As you know other people rubbish this claim and blame it on placebo... but as seen in this sub-forum they don't really offer any scientific evidence either.

My first sound card was an Audigy 2zs which I got I back in 2005, threw it into an Athlon 64 build; good times. Was definitely superior to onboard at the time. Since then I have not personally done any side by side testing with modern sound cards vs onboard.

@LinusTech, would you ever consider for your channel doing an experiment comparing some upper tier soundcards vs onboard; using blind listening tests. It's well known that some sound cards use superior DACs and some people swear they sound better subjectively. As you know other people rubbish this claim and blame it on placebo... but as seen in this sub-forum they don't really offer any scientific evidence either.

This was mentioned in a PM, there are a lot of tools that you need in order to make it happen, its not just plug and go. 

If you want to discuss software amplification versus hardware-based amps, I think that probably merits a separate thread where people can answer the question for you.

As for really old onboard being bad, It is.

As for onboard on low end motherboards being bad, it can be. I'm glad to hear yours is fine.

you missed the point i am trying to make...

The point i am trying to make is if the H61MGV could do 200% audio,how could there be worse...

#postacommentbeforeitislocked

O RLY?

So you reply to me with no facts, just more of your opinion. Now I've looked around for the stats on these so called "newer" Realtek HDs and I can't find any. Neither can you it seems, so it would appear you're just talking arsemoo.

I showed the difference between the sound card I use and Realtek HD. Now it's up to you to prove that 

1. There is a newer Realtek HD that fares far better in testing and

2. The test results.

Find me these mythical test results and I may even bury my XFI in the snow (hint I won't because I think the onboard sounds like shit).

you say they are different and link an old test to an old onboard solution then claim this is proof.

I remind you that no-one uses nor has said that the old onboard is better and ask you to find a newer test the compares and you can't.

Then when I inform you that the reason you can't find one is because they are rare and don't actually prove anything you still want me to find you one.

Well here:

Impedance of all the common sound solutions on the market:

http://monoadc.blog64.fc2.com/blog-entry-99.html

Specs to all the realtek devices out there:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4

you can look up the asus or creative websites for their specs and do a straight comparison.

why impedance matters:

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com.au/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html

A whole heap of random information that is important to understanding digital media:

http://www.xiph.org/video/

a video explaining audio myths, everything from soundcards to dither and jitter and real world tests proving what specs are important and challenges you can take:

The trolling comment was in response too:

"i was very skeptical that it would make my sound better and i made the jump and it sounds a lot better""

and

"I got the asus xonar dg and it is f**king amazing there is soo much of a difference between my onboard audio and my sound card and it is loud."

and

"why i notice a huge difference"

The OP claiming the sound is better, as-well as being louder and kept doing it and seemed very bitter about it.

He didn't say JUST louder till later on in the thread, he was claiming the sound was better AS-WELL as being louder. People tried to correct him but it wasn't sinking in about the louder volume giving the illusion of better sound.

Hence I said, to try to show the OP the truth of the situation

He then said

and I replied back

This was more of a miscommunication than anything else as the OP seemed unwilling to acknowledge what was really going on...

Yes there is allot of hostility in this thread and people recommending much more expensive things for some reason or another.....

just as a pure question if making headphones louder wouldn't that make hearing the details easier inherently making them sound better? But I don't know I see what your saying and the volume is better I am newer to audio stuff so to me it sounds better thank you happy new year.

Relevant reading: Subjective vs. Objective Debate

just as a pure question if making headphones louder wouldn't that make hearing the details easier inherently making them sound better? But I don't know I see what your saying and the volume is better I am newer to audio stuff so to me it sounds better thank you happy new year.

if your headphones are detailed enough then yes, it would help with picking up some of the quieter dynamics.   This is especially true if your headphones are quiet because they have a lower sensitivity rather than a higher impedance.