How can I remove the screen without cracking it even more?

Koshigaya

So I'm fixing a friend's HP 2-in-1. The adhesive that adheres the screen to the chassis is wearing off, as seen in the pictures. I was going to just use a heat gun to weaken the adhesive tape and apply new one, but there's a crack on the top left. Now I'm worried that it'll crack even more if I try to remove it. Any advice on how I should go about this, or if I should abort?

20180626_080037.thumb.jpg.2c43cb88d4b187b64ca1d219b8cbc366.jpg20180626_080115.thumb.jpg.94236e52a770c5bdf54d3c8845027d3e.jpg

If you apply the right amount of heat to the sides of the screen it should come apart fairly effortlessly so you can probably lift the screen off slowly and not make the crack worse.

I ilke trains.

It depends quite heavily on how well the screen is glued in. As @MCManiac52 said use a lot of head and you should be able to get it off, from my experience however I don't think you can avoid increasing the size of those cracks. If the glass is quite sturdy maybe, but that usually isn't the case on touch screens like this one.

Anyway good luck, hope it all works out!

10 hours ago, Tomatodude95 said:

It depends quite heavily on how well the screen is glued in. As @MCManiac52 said use a lot of head and you should be able to get it off, from my experience however I don't think you can avoid increasing the size of those cracks. If the glass is quite sturdy maybe, but that usually isn't the case on touch screens like this one.

Anyway good luck, hope it all works out!

Yeah I think the glass is pretty weak. It cracked while not even in use apparently.

I was thinking of of just applying new adhesive tape only to the sides that are exposed instead of taking the screen off completely.