Blizzard Granted Patent for Overwatch's Play of the Game System

NeoChrome

The patent, which was submitted back in December 2016 and only just approved on June 14 of this year, describes the process by which key events are recorded in an Overwatch match. 

I'd recommend checking out the patent.

It's a patent, covering the whole idea of identifying the most impactful play of a game and then displaying. 

It also patents some things that are not even implemented in Overwatch right now, like splitting the Play of the Game between multiple players that made an impactful combined play (as far as I know this is something that is planned to be implemented, it's definitely not part of the game right now).

by reddit user Eirh

Patent: http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=20180161675.PGNR.

Source: https://news.unikrn.com/article/overwatch-play-of-the-game-system-us-patent

Really hope this doesn't deter or make it impossible for other games to implement similar systems as OW's POTG. I really like the idea of a highlight replay system and it'd be nice if we see them in more games to come.

9 minutes ago, crystal6tak said:

Really hope this doesn't deter or make it impossible for other games to implement similar systems as OW's POTG. I really like the idea of a highlight replay system and it'd be nice if we see them in more games to come.

Thats exactly what will happen I'm afraid.

Many times it's meh anyway. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

but if another game does a better job? o_o think the concern here is blizzard going patent striking

Yeah in a way certain patents can really be shitty. But we'll see. Though I personally don't care about this feature. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Patent on what?

I thought overwatch gameplay already existed since the dawn of human civilization.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Patent on the code itself or the implementation?

Cause if it's the implementation, that's straight out patent trolling. Just as bad as putting copyrights on single words if you ask me

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

10 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

So when does Ana get potg ? :P

Haven't played since the release of Doomfist, but i used to get lots of POTG with Ana.

Only healer i ever bothered playing with

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

The Overwatch POTG system is actually quite good, it’s correct most of the time. Parenting the implementation is a bit trolly though.

Really Apple? A Glorified kill cam? Call of duty has been doing that forever. 

11 minutes ago, corsairian said:

Really Apple? A Glorified kill cam? Call of duty has been doing that forever. 

Seeing as call of duty and overwatch are both owned by Activision I would say it doesn't matter. 

46 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Seeing as call of duty and overwatch are both owned by Activision I would say it doesn't matter. 

Expect to see play of the game in an upcoming CoD, lmao

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

31 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Expect to see play of the game in an upcoming CoD, lmao

I thought the most recent CoD alread included a PoTG type system.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

17 minutes ago, Suika said:

I thought the most recent CoD alread included a PoTG type system.

eh probably, I haven't played CoD since MW2 lmao

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

rofl

how did this get through?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, Swatson said:

eh probably, I haven't played CoD since MW2 lmao

Neither have I, I just remember watching my brother play the newer Call of Duty and seeing a PoTG type system.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

10 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Oh wow, youre right. lol

Now, could we get some numbers on the extra read and writes it needs to do on the players hdd/ssd to always have that replay thing on?

2 hours ago, Marcel Kipka said:

Now, could we get some numbers on the extra read and writes it needs to do on the players hdd/ssd to always have that replay thing on?

It would just be positional and action data most of which they would probably collect anyway.

9 hours ago, Marcel Kipka said:

There is almost no chance that it does any of the work client side.

How the heck did this patent get approved? o.O The patent seems to literally be "To find the play of the game, you go through the game plays and find the subjectively best one on the basis of situationally defined criteria" which shouldn't in any way meet the requirements for novelty >.> Since that's literally what a play of the game is, a universally known concept well before OW became a thing >.>