Twin Core X9's - Name TBD (updated)

3 hours ago, Voxels-Box said:

How fine of a grit did you wet sand down to?  When I was painting some case panels I did, I ended up sanding down to 3000 grit, and when I did the clear coat, it crinkled up like cellophane wrapping in some areas.  Did you use any isopropyl alcohol or mentholated spirits before clear coating?

I only went down to 1000 grit, I followed some vid from geforce garage on case painting.

The full steps I did were:
Rough sand with like 600 grit

Washed everything with hot water and dish soap (was literally in the bathtub for this)

Let everything dry for a few days

Wiped each piece down with a tac cloth, then did primer coat

Let it dry for a few days inside my house.

Wet sanded primer with warm soapy water and 1,000 grit paper on a soft sponge

Washed everything with hot water and dish soap (same as before), squeaky clean literally.

Let everything dry for a few days

Wiped each piece down with a tac cloth, then did base white coat one piece at a time. Two cloats about 10 minutes apart.

Let everything dry inside the house for a several days.

-(Everything looked good up to this point)-.

Wiped each piece down with tac cloth then did clear coat, two coats about 15 minutes apart.

Turned blotchy yellow. /shrug

Think I am going to abandon white and a gloss finish. Go for something dark and satin.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

17 minutes ago, Valermos said:

-Snip-

You definitely seem to have taken all the right steps. 

I dont know what paint you used, but was two coats sufficient?  I remember doing at least 3-4 coats, depending on the piece. (Im no paint expert btw)

I hope the repaint goes smoothly!

CPU - 1700X 3.7gHz | CPU Cooler - EK and Singularity Custom Loop | Motherboard -  Asus X370 Crosshair VI w/ EK Monoblock | RAM - Corsair Vengeance RGB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz w/ Silver Paint| Graphics Card - Asus GTX 1080ti Strix OC w/ EK Fullcover block with custom vertical mount | Power Supply - Corsair HX750i w/ self made Custom Cables and 3D printed Combs | Storage - 3x 3TB, 2TB HDD | Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME SSD, 500GB OCZ SSD | Case - Lian Li PC-09 Custom paint | Colour Theme - Silver & Black & RGB lights

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Logitech MX Master 2S Mouse/Wacom Intuos Pro5 Med

5 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

Says the guy that decided to paint his case completely white  :P

Actually the case was already white lol

7 minutes ago, TekRed said:

Actually the case was already white lol

Ssssst Nobody needs to know :ph34r:

:PxD

• 2 weeks later...

Making some progress. I decided to do a darker color in metallic. A gunmetal like metallic. I then felt the inside would be too dark so I bought white carbon fiber vinyl to wrap some key areas. Will be working on the reassembly over the next two weeks.

Here is a look at the reservoirs for the top level.

IMG_1738.JPG

IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1740.JPG

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Got the two sets installed, it is starting to take shape and look like the crazy contraption I had envisioned lol. I tell ya lining these up and connecting them with hardline tubing was pretty difficult! 

IMG_1752.JPG

IMG_1753.JPG

IMG_1754.JPG

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_1760.JPG

IMG_1762.JPG

Arriving tomorrow for this build:

2x Corsair LL140's
Corsair Commander Pro
Corsair Lighting Node kit
Corsair Light expansion kit.

Should be fun to hook up, can't wait! 

IMG_1769[1].JPG

IMG_1767[1].JPG

IMG_1766[1].JPG

IMG_1764[1].JPG

Image result for feels good man

IMG_1773[1].JPG

900D for size comparison

IMG_1775[1].JPG

IMG_1794[1].JPG

IMG_1799[1].JPG

IMG_1802[1].JPG

IMG_1806[1].JPG

IMG_1807[1].JPG

IMG_1810[1].JPG

IMG_1816[1].JPG

IMG_1820[1].JPG

IMG_1827[1].JPG

IMG_1824[1].JPG

PSU WIRES ARE TEMPORARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_1826[1].JPG

IMG_1822[1].JPG

So I still have a bit of work to do.

- Finish front panel

- install plexi front and bottom side windows

- make custom psu cables and redo the wiring
- wire the vandal switch

- make a shroud for the PSU

- setup fan profiles etc.

Well.... hmm. Corsair commander pro died after just a few days. :/

Really has been a troublesome product to work with. Buggy software, and now...just plain dead.

Luckily Amazon has a great replacement process. New one on the way. I hope it is better than this one.

On 6/25/2018 at 4:46 PM, Valermos said:

I suppose the desire to create something personal. I've built so many computers in cases and it never felt like "mine" or satisfactory. I put hardware in a case and threw in a loop. I wanted to do something more and create something that I felt was mine. If that makes any sense. I always wanted to do hardline tubing and stuff like cutting my own windows etc so this is like checking off a bucket list of things I always wanted to do in one big project lol. 

I love this. I'm currently in the process of moving from pre-built computers to building my own computers for similar reasons.

Your system looks sick, by the way! I can't wait until I have the knowledge it took to build something like that. I know a good bit about software and am an entry level programmer (at the age of 15), and I'm learning the hardware at the moment. I can't learn enough about hardware and software as far as I'm concerned. My first build is going to cost me seven hundred bucks; I'm going with a red and black theme. Since it's my first build it means a lot to me, and the way you described your reasoning to build your custom loop, I feel we have a lot of similarities. You just happen to be 15 years ahead of me :P.

18 hours ago, TechPrince said:

Your system looks sick, by the way! I can't wait until I have the knowledge it took to build something like that. I know a good bit about software and am an entry level programmer (at the age of 15), and I'm learning the hardware at the moment. I can't learn enough about hardware and software as far as I'm concerned. My first build is going to cost me seven hundred bucks; I'm going with a red and black theme. Since it's my first build it means a lot to me, and the way you described your reasoning to build your custom loop, I feel we have a lot of similarities. You just happen to be 15 years ahead of me :P.

That is so awesome! And thank you for the kind words!

You are going to have a blast building your first one. I still remember building mine, I don't think I'll ever forget. It was an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ with 512MB SDRAM on a Soyo KT133 board with a GeForce 3 Ti500. I built it with my dad for christmas...on of my most favorite memories. Before that I was constantly tinkering with our family prebuilt PC haha. 

Keep up the learning and never give up your passions! Tag me in your build so I can follow too. 

Cheers!

Wow, that is an amazing build to say I'm jealous would be an understatement. I hope to have a build even half that scale one day.

I loved the 900D for scale makes it look tiny compared to that monster you built.

Intel i7 8700k - Noctua NH-D15 - Asus GTX 1070 Strix - Corsair RM650x Modular - Asus ROG Maximus X HERO Z370 - Fractal Design Meshify C - 32GB Corsair LPX 3200 DDR4 - Samsung Evo 250GB x2 - Corsair Force 3 240GB - Samsung 960 Pro 500GB M.2 - LG 29UM68 29 inch Ultrawide IPS Monitor - Corsair Strafe RGB (silent switches) - Corsair Scimitar Pro - Windows 10 Pro

15 hours ago, Vertis said:

Wow, that is an amazing build to say I'm jealous would be an understatement. I hope to have a build even half that scale one day.

I loved the 900D for scale makes it look tiny compared to that monster you built.

Thank you! Yea it def makes the 900D look tiny. I'll be ordering some stuff to make my own cables this weekend along with the plexiglass windows. :)