A few questions on coin mining...

Hello everyone,

So an aquaintance of mine has bought around 7 mining rigs consisting of multiple GPUs, I was asked to attempt to configure them and I've got a few questions regarding all that.

So hardware-wise, I feel that I should be fine hardware-wise, but I never configured mining software.

Which software is the best one to choose in 2018? It will be ran under Windows and it needs to be able to take advantage of multiple GPUs (6-7 at once), the most important thing is that it has to be easy to set up and easy to use. The coin that person will be mining is Ethereum (I won't be trying to change his mind regarding profitability, I only have to set those mining rigs up).

What are the things I should be aware of before attempting to do all of this?
Any tips or tricks that you guys have, any warnings?

Are there any problems when the rig has more than 3-4 GPUs? Does the software have to be something specific to be able to utilize more of them?

I'm completely new to this...

Thanks, Morgan

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

• 2 weeks later...

The general go to miner for ethereum is the Claymore miner right now.  As far as setting it up there are plenty of guides out there, but for an easy fix there is a youtuber who makes a pre-made multiminer.  It's just a fancy bat file with all of the miners included so you just select what you want to mine and it mines it.  Here is a link for that.  Now with that many rigs I feel like your friend should look into a linux bases solution as they can be much better for multiple rigs.  I personally use Simplemining, but there are others out there.

Some issues that you might run into:

1. 3gb cards can no longer mine eth in Windows 10.
  2. You will most definitely need to increase your virtual memory.
  3. Physically touch the power cables with your hand to make sure they are not hot to the touch.  If they are then that's a problem.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask here or dm me.

16 hours ago, Dirk said:

The general go to miner for ethereum is the Claymore miner right now.  As far as setting it up there are plenty of guides out there, but for an easy fix there is a youtuber who makes a pre-made multiminer.  It's just a fancy bat file with all of the miners included so you just select what you want to mine and it mines it.  Here is a link for that.  Now with that many rigs I feel like your friend should look into a linux bases solution as they can be much better for multiple rigs.  I personally use Simplemining, but there are others out there.

3. Physically touch the power cables with your hand to make sure they are not hot to the touch.  If they are then that's a problem.

Thank you!

One quick question that came to my mind right now: Do you have any idea on how to set up Claymore in terms of the wallet where the mined coins go? Claymore is already set up there, but with data of the previous user so I wanted to change that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

You'll want to get your own wallet.  I would suggest exodus.  Just paste in your new address into where they had theirs.

On 7/4/2018 at 3:26 PM, Dirk said:

check usb cables too. me and a friend of mine were setting up a mining rig the other day... smelled something weird. we both look over and the PCIe slot on the motherboard is smoking. The usb cable and the little riser adapter on it was super hot as well. killed the PCIe slot :/

so yeah. check everything as soon as you turn it on. If you wait to long it'll toast something for sure.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1