(dumb) Question About Steam Games/Drives

KSP
Go to solution Solved by Sfekke,
7 hours ago, KSP said:

Update: After the game finished installing on my SSD, I tried to uninstall it. However, the same thing occurs and the PUBG folder still remains on my SSD. I am going to ask Steam Support if it is safe to directly delete the PUBG folder off my SSD.

Just manually delete the PUBG folder, there is no harm in doing that and I think it'll be only/best/easiest way to fix it.

Remember, you bought the game even if you delete it without uninstalling it you still keep the rights to re-download it.

Worst case scenario Steam doesn't see/detect you removed the folder, in that case if you are 100% you removed it first uninstall it through Steam.

5 hours ago, KSP said:

I have not, Ill look into that once I get back home.

Thanks!

Just as a side-note, this will not work.

All this does is open Steam if I recall correctly, honestly a waste of space in control panel if all Steam games are shortcuts but I digress.

Hopefully this works ;)

Hey,

So this morning I was moving some of my games from my SSD to my hard drive and some games from my hard drive to my SSD. One game I was moving from my SSD to my hard drive was PUBG. I uninstalled the game and then chose to reinstall it on my hard drive. After it was done downloading I restarted my PC and checked my Steam folder on my SSD and hard drive to make sure everything was right. I found that the game was shown as still being on my SSD but was also on my hard drive. However, on my SSD, it was showing that the game was 13.8GB and on my hard drive it was displaying 17.2GB. Is there a way to fix this? Or is this even a problem? Is there a way where I can check what drive the game is actually on?

Thanks

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

Is it possible that you installed the PUBG normal game on one drive, and the test server on the other? I'd try uninstalling the game altogether, and then re-installing it on the HDD again, just to be sure.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

Maybe steam has set the default download/install location to whichever drive you don't want it on.

Can change this in steam browser -> steam -> settings -> downloads -> Library folders.

Make sure the one you don't want to install on is removed from there and assign the one you do want on there.

Cheers

Remove both copies of the game, next time installing do this 

While installing select the drive you wish to install on, check which drive letter it is in the Windows Explorer then make Steam install it on there like this

Capture.PNG.1ae8eb736fa506049b7cb7cbc096c917.PNG

That should make sure it only installs on the chosen drive, when moving games from drive A -> B make sure you always remove them from Steam after they have copied over, Steam might think it is still there and then try to fix missing files.

Seems like that happened here, which is something pretty common & easy to fix :)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

40 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Is it possible that you installed the PUBG normal game on one drive, and the test server on the other? I'd try uninstalling the game altogether, and then re-installing it on the HDD again, just to be sure.

I never have downloaded the test server. I’ll try redownloading it again later tonight.

Thanks!

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

37 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

Remove both copies of the game, next time installing do this 

While installing select the drive you wish to install on, check which drive letter it is in the Windows Explorer then make Steam install it on there like this

Capture.PNG.1ae8eb736fa506049b7cb7cbc096c917.PNG

That should make sure it only installs on the chosen drive, when moving games from drive A -> B make sure you always remove them from Steam after they have copied over, Steam might think it is still there and then try to fix missing files.

Seems like that happened here, which is something pretty common & easy to fix :)

I will try to uninstall PUBG from Steam itself later today. Perhaps it will delete both versions of the game, the one on my SSD and the other on my hard drive. But if it one deletes one of them, how should I delete the other version?

I am pretty sure I made sure to install PUBG on the drive I wanted it to install, but perhaps something went wrong.

Ill update as soon as I can, thanks!

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

Update: I uninstalled PUBG through steam, with deleted PUBG from my hard drive. I chose to redownload it onto my SSD, and while allocating the disk space it discovered the old game files there. Its now downloading more stuff onto the old game files. Once it’s done I will uninstall it, which should uninstall it off my SSD. Hopefully then everything will be fixed :).

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

Update: After the game finished installing on my SSD, I tried to uninstall it. However, the same thing occurs and the PUBG folder still remains on my SSD. I am going to ask Steam Support if it is safe to directly delete the PUBG folder off my SSD.

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, KSP said:

You should just be able to delete the PUBG folder on your SSD then tell Steam to 'delete' PUBG.

I've done that for a few games before.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, KSP said:

Have you tried manually uninstalling it from the Add or Remove Programs page in settings?

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

7 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Have you tried manually uninstalling it from the Add or Remove Programs page in settings?

Thanks!

Riptide

Spoiler

Peripherals

Spoiler

7 hours ago, KSP said:

Just manually delete the PUBG folder, there is no harm in doing that and I think it'll be only/best/easiest way to fix it.

Remember, you bought the game even if you delete it without uninstalling it you still keep the rights to re-download it.

Worst case scenario Steam doesn't see/detect you removed the folder, in that case if you are 100% you removed it first uninstall it through Steam.

5 hours ago, KSP said:

Thanks!

Just as a side-note, this will not work.

All this does is open Steam if I recall correctly, honestly a waste of space in control panel if all Steam games are shortcuts but I digress.

Hopefully this works ;)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*