Samsung 970 pro Low IOPS

chris1950x

Hi, I am running a 1950x ASrock X399 taichi setup.

I just got a brand new 970 pro 512gb. I installed all the latest drivers on a fresh new Win 10 Version

My SSD´s firmware is up to date, as well as my Smasung NVME driver (according to Samsung Magician).

My sequential read wirte speeds are up to spec, but the random speeds are painfully slow.

I am reaching (tested with Samsung Magician and Crystal Disk Mark 6) only about 60k IOPS in both directions.

It seems that there are no fixes, or I just couldn´t find the right one. This is frustrating.

Thank you for help

Samsung Magician 2.jpg

Crystal Disk Mark score1.JPG

Do you have the 4k Q1T1 results too?

If it was write only, I have seen cases where Windows disk write cache flushing gets in the way and disabling it helped. But probably not the case if reads are affected too.

I'd also speculate, random is somewhat influenced by CPU speed too. If the CPU is otherwise idle it might be slower to respond. See if you can repeat while keeping the CPU somewhat loaded to get the clock up, but not so much it doesn't leave anything for the disk process.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, porina said:

I'd also speculate, random is somewhat influenced by CPU speed too. If the CPU is otherwise idle it might be slower to respond. See if you can repeat while keeping the CPU somewhat loaded to get the clock up, but not so much it doesn't leave anything for the disk process.

I have done some testing comparing 1709 + no updates + pre-patch BIOS and 1803 + all updates + current BIOS and things like IOPS and 4KQ1T1 do take a hit. Sequential is more or less unaffected. The Specter and Meltdown patches seem to take a bite out of the performance the OP is questioning.

That said, you cant "feel" it but benchmarks certainly see it.

Thank´s for your replies,

remember that these are speeds measured in mb/s instead of IOPS. The IOPS are as stated about 70k in each direction.

The CPU is currently clocked at arround 4,1Ghz and it shouldnt go lower than that on its own.

http://www.legitreviews.com/samsung-ssd-970-pro-nvme-512gb-ssd-review_204823/4

this review shows what it should be able to do.

I attached the second part form Crystal Disk Mark.

I tested the SSD (970 pro) before I configured it as my boot drive.

I had my Samsung SM951 NVME as a boot drive and benchmarking the 970 pro there resulted in speeds up to spec except for the random write speeds.

The Crucial MX500 1tb I´ve got in my rig is scoring higher speeds than the 970 pro, so I dont think the problem is related to the Chipset, but I am by far no Computer expert, so thank again for helping me out!

Crystal Disk Mark score2.JPG

You can use InSpectre to disable the Specter and Meltdown mitigation to see if that is the issue, the tool is available here:

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

Disable both and reboot, run the bench again. Turn them back on and reboot to keep protection enabled.

• 4 weeks later...

I was having the exact same issue with my Samsung 970 Pro 512GB on my Asrock x399 Professional Gaming and I solved it by disabling HPET.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with my 970 EVO and disabling HPET in cmd (as admin) with the command: 

bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock   (and rebooting)

increased the SSD performance by 50% in most tests. However my write speeds are being limited a lot and seem to fluctuate a lot. I still have low IOPS in magician, 150k and 130k while it should be around 400k, and at least 300k according to some pictures from other owners of 970 EVOs and similar. So if someone has another advice, please do share. I had a suspicion Windows is the cause.

Edit: I reinstalled NVME drivers and rechecked Magician, now I got 230k on Read and the same on Write, and in general on other tests "write" speeds have remained low (or dropped). No idea why...

Edit: Found out something even more interesting. Looks like disabling/enabling HPET  "...can change the benchmark results, but it might just be that it changes how the FPS is counted, rather than how fast the PC is in practice. Can we even trust a PC to benchmark itself any more?!" I am even more confused now......

• 1 year later...

I got the issue this was happening to me also.

I had selected SATA ->RAID mode and my benchmark was around 100000 IOPS.

I changed SATA -> AHCI it  became 370000 IOPS

Nvme performs better on AHCI, also when I was having sata->RAID I could not install nvme driver by samsung it always say cannot find device but when I changed mode to AHCI it runs smoothly.

See videos/content on before changing SATA mode to AHCI, otherwise there will be booting issues.

I followed below links for same,make sure when you boot to safe mode you remember your microsoft account password because PIN does not work there.I suffered from same and finally I used a bootable drive to get to the cmd and disable safe mode.

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-change-sata-hard-disk-mode-from-ide-to-ahci-raid-in-bios-after-installing-windows/
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/ahci-for-ssd/18ee0b43-47a9-4344-b0c8-1e8546be2c82

Capture.JPG

ahci.JPG