[Review] California Headphone Company - Silverado

ShearMe

Am I too late for some advice as these just went on sale for $50 for roughly 14 more hours as I type this.

Am I too late for some advice as these just went on sale for $50 for roughly 14 more hours as I type this.

Go ahead, but I was already talking to you on Reddit. :)

These look pretty awesome.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

• 2 weeks later...

i got my silverado today. best headphones i have ever owned

before this I had shure srh 440 and audio technica ath-m50 and this is like on another level got it for 50 bucks on amazon 

but i have one weird complaint

site says they're 50 ohms but on my packaging it is written 32 ohms

am I supposed to be worried.

|| CPU Intel i7 3770K || MOBO ASRock H77M || RAM 8GB 1600mhz || HDD 1TB 7200 Sata II || SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB || GPU EVGA GTX 670 2GB FTW (boost core 1240mhz) || CPUCooler CM 212 EVO || PSU Seasonic M12II EVO 750W || CASE NZXT Phantom V2 (Pink-lol) || H-Phones Sennheiser HD600 || Gamepad XBox 360 Wireless Controller || Mouse Logitech G102 || K-Board CM Storm Trigger (MX Black) || Monitor Dell P2414H || AV Common Sense ||

Glad you're liking them!

site says they're 50 ohms but on my packaging it is written 32 ohms

It's not really important, but the package is closer to being correct:

cd203d483f.png

Glad you're liking them!

It's not really important, but the package is closer to being correct:

cd203d483f.png

please can you explain a little bit more what you meant by "It's not really important, but the package is closer to being correct"

what exactly do you mean, is it 32ohms, 50 ohms, or is it like a variable ohms? cause i have never heard of a variable ohms.

also mine is made in china, is there a difference?

something I've noticed is that there is not enough volume from my onboard dac. windows volume is at 100 percent and I feel i need more volume. so that proves that it is 50 ohms cause my shure srh 440 and my ath-m50 we're louder.

|| CPU Intel i7 3770K || MOBO ASRock H77M || RAM 8GB 1600mhz || HDD 1TB 7200 Sata II || SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB || GPU EVGA GTX 670 2GB FTW (boost core 1240mhz) || CPUCooler CM 212 EVO || PSU Seasonic M12II EVO 750W || CASE NZXT Phantom V2 (Pink-lol) || H-Phones Sennheiser HD600 || Gamepad XBox 360 Wireless Controller || Mouse Logitech G102 || K-Board CM Storm Trigger (MX Black) || Monitor Dell P2414H || AV Common Sense ||

please can you explain a little bit more what you meant by "It's not really important, but the package is closer to being correct"

what exactly do you mean, is it 32ohms, 50 ohms, or is it like a variable ohms? cause i have never heard of a variable ohms.

also mine is made in china, is there a difference?

something I've noticed is that there is not enough volume from my onboard dac. windows volume is at 100 percent and I feel i need more volume. so that proves that it is 50 ohms cause my shure srh 440 and my ath-m50 we're louder.

Ohms are only half of the cake, sensitivity is also important.

On their official website it says 50 ohms, with 108 DB sensitivity.

If you want them louder, I'd suggest spending a bit of money on an amp+dac, something like the fiio e5 + fiio d3, or a Syba Dac+Amp off amazon/ ebay for 40$.

(both solutions are ~40$, and should provide enough power to drive them to max volume)

Realistically you won't need to spend very much on an amp + dac, you may get a tiny improvement in sound quality as well.  If all you want is mostly louder volumes, almost any cheap solution will do a fine job.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Ohms are only half of the cake, sensitivity is also important.

On their official website it says 50 ohms, with 108 DB sensitivity.

If you want them louder, I'd suggest spending a bit of money on an amp+dac, something like the fiio e5 + fiio d3, or a Syba Dac+Amp off amazon/ ebay for 40$.

(both solutions are ~40$, and should provide enough power to drive them to max volume)

Realistically you won't need to spend very much on an amp + dac, you may get a tiny improvement in sound quality as well.  If all you want is mostly louder volumes, almost any cheap solution will do a fine job.

already ordered a S.M.S.L SD 793II its a Optical DAC+AMP

I'm not talking about amping, I just wanna know how much ohms I have. 

also on the packaging it is written 32 ohms 123db 

but on their website it says 50ohms 108db

so which is it. I think I'll have a little chat with the seller on amazon which is CHC.

maybe the packaging is just fake but the headphones feel 99 percent authentic to me.

already ordered a S.M.S.L SD 793II its a Optical DAC+AMP

I'm not talking about amping, I just wanna know how much ohms I have. 

also on the packaging it is written 32 ohms 123db 

but on their website it says 50ohms 108db

so which is it. I think I'll have a little chat with the seller on amazon which is CHC.

maybe the packaging is just fake but the headphones feel 99 percent authentic to me.

It could of been a typo on either the website or the box as well :P

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

has anyone found a replacement cable? the cable really sucks, I've put up with it for a few months but I'm thinking of just selling this and getting a siberia v2 if there aren't any better cables available, and I can't find any.

The Sol Republic Master Tracks cable might work, but I don't own either at the moment so i couldn't testify for sure

Nevermind nothing works with them  apparently other than the  proprietary cables

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

The Sol Republic Master Tracks cable might work, but I don't own either at the moment so i couldn't testify for sure

Nevermind nothing works with them  apparently other than the  proprietary cables

that's so annoying. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

• 2 weeks later...
text

Would you say these are worth the 50$?

I really want to buy them, but the lack of any type of CS is really making me nervous about whipping out my plastic.

Error: 410

Would you say these are worth the 50$?

I really want to buy them, but the lack of any type of CS is really making me nervous about whipping out my plastic.

$50 is a steal, but what's CS?

$50 is a steal, but what's CS?

The customer support was a common complaint

Error: 410

The customer support was a common complaint

Oh yeah, it's stereotypical-India-customer-support bad. I messaged them with a question about whether the L/R signal was split inside the cable, or inside the earcups, and they messaged back, "Yes the cable can go in both ways."

Oh yeah, it's stereotypical-India-customer-support bad. I messaged them with a question about whether the L/R signal was split inside the cable, or inside the earcups, and they messaged back, "Yes the cable can go in both ways."

I had that same question when it felt like the positional audio was off in a game, so it is done in the cans?

• 2 weeks later...

I had that same question when it felt like the positional audio was off in a game, so it is done in the cans?

I have no idea, and don't own the pair any more.

Try using Window's sound test, switching cable sides, and if it makes a difference, then it's done in the cable. (If it were done in the cans, each connector would have both signals in the same spots, and switching sides would have no effect)

Try using Window's sound test, switching cable sides, and if it makes a difference, then it's done in the cable. (If it were done in the cans, each connector would have both signals in the same spots, and switching sides would have no effect)

I had my pair for about a month or so. They're good but I do have one complaint. Which are the cables, like they're braided and all but the braided is starting to shed at the edges of the connectors where the plug and braiding meet. I wonder if there is a alternative way to replacing the cables, instead of buying the cables from them. I'm just saying....

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

It does matter what cables are in what cans... this has probably been messing with my brain when gaming so much... >:| I am thinking about selling them and getting something else though (not for this reason).

I had my pair for about a month or so. They're good but I do have one complaint. Which are the cables, like they're braided and all but the braided is starting to shed at the edges of the connectors where the plug and braiding meet. I wonder if there is a alternative way to replacing the cables, instead of buying the cables from them. I'm just saying....

Oh yeah, the cables are terrible. A DIY cable would be easy enough, but I haven't found anything that you can just up and buy on, like, Amazon.

• 1 month later...

update on my chc silverado impressions 
although these cans are relatively good considering it only cost me 50 bucks.
I have some major issues with them...

you can't really play with them. 
i tried to use my srh 840 pads on them.
but the chc pads wouldn't come off.by tugging them pretty hard I realized they were attached to the driver bay with plastic heads.
so if you want to open the headphones you'll have to take a screwdriver not phillips the 2 way (don't know how they're called)
and pry open the plastic heads one by one ( if you're brave)
and then when you get to the inside.
you'll realize it has a plastic cone shaped head covering the entire driver.
(at that moment I realized that it was this plastic cone shaped head that was the cause for the non-existent soundstage)
these cans had no soundstage whatsoever in my taste.

so anyways. if you want soundstage you'll have to take that plastic head off. BUT BEWARE
the cables are glued to that plastic head. so you'll have to do some soldering or better yet just get new wires.

after that... this is where it gets interesting.
after removing that plastic head.
the mids DIED.
worse then the ath m50.
the mids just become almost non existent.
base became bloated and treble got rolled off.

THESE ARE CHEAP HEADPHONES WITH A MOD 
this mod which is the plastic cone shaped head makes them sound so good but sacrifices soundstage.

Do not buy these if you love a sense of soundstage. even a little soundstage.

so now they are worthless.
just because I wanted to change pads.
Would have loved a little heads up.

Oh yeah, the freaking cable is special, no other cable will work with these headphones.

should have just bought myself some sr80i grados.
what a waste of money.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/b/bd/350x700px-LL-bd8bc624_IMG_1348.jpeg

http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/ef/350x700px-LL-ef7c4693_IMG_1349.jpeg

q

You bought $50 CLOSED headphones and expected sound stage?

Then you broke them trying to mod them into oblivion and bitch about the design.. zzzzzz  If you wanted soundstage you shouldn't of bought a cheap closed headphone lol.