British technology company, Dyson making an electric car

8 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

So on the remark of being different for the sake of being different, this is definitely a problem, though when you refer to tesla specifically, I think you're missing something. The leaf and prius and other electric cars are just normal cars but with electric motor. So they felt they had to make it stand out to be worth the extra money. Tesla on the other hand is not just focusing on the car. They are seeing the larger picture, a systematic change. I assume your gripe with the new tesla is the tablet controls. Using like a normal car, I can certainly agree this doesn't work well. But in the case of autonomous driving it makes sense. Musk realizes we are heading to fully autonomous and is getting ready early. Does it fit our current driving style, not really. In a way Tesla is like Apple. He does something we're not ready for yet (headphone jack) knowing we'll eventually all be using autonomous driving (bluetooth headphones). And the industry see's him innovating and no matter how slowly, they will follow suit. And the more of these future proof cars are on the road, the more incentive there will be to start building the infrastructure that will make this all work

And he, like Apple, are wrong.

Removing the headphone jack was stupid. Plain, pure and simple.

Having to remove your eyes from the road to touch a screen, several times, to find controls, is stupid AND dangerous. A bad combination.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

And he, like Apple, are wrong.

Removing the headphone jack was stupid. Plain, pure and simple.

Having to remove your eyes from the road to touch a screen, several times, to find controls, is stupid AND dangerous. A bad combination.

I think you missed my point... With the future of fully autonomous vehicles, you won't be looking at the road, so a tablet control is fine

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

44 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

With the future of fully autonomous vehicles

Right, but they aren't fully autonomous right now...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 6/23/2018 at 8:46 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Right, but they aren't fully autonomous right now...

Exactly, because there's not enough incentive yet. As I said before:

And the more of these future proof cars are on the road, the more incentive there will be to start building the infrastructure that will make this all work

Sometimes you have to build the product first and the need comes after, just to make it happen

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 minute ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Exactly, because there's not enough incentive yet. As I said before:

The point being, as we seemed to have strayed from it, is the interface, that giant tablet screen, is a stupid and dangerous idea *for a car that isn't fully autonomous*

Change it after you get a self-aware car, but for those that still need driver's input, it's a bad idea.

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

*for a car that isn't fully autonomous*

But it IS capable of autonomous driving... so my point still remains

35 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

But it IS capable of autonomous driving... so my point still remains

Fully autonomous? As in I can get into theback seat of the car, go to sleep, and the car will get me to where I need to be in one piece?

44 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Fully autonomous? As in I can get into theback seat of the car, go to sleep, and the car will get me to where I need to be in one piece?

You can get in the drivers seat, set your destination, keep a watch and get there with little to no intervention. Which means no problem with the tablet interface and safety. 

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

You can get in the drivers seat, set your destination, keep a watch and get there with little to no intervention. Which means no problem with the tablet interface and safety. 

So this doesn't occur?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/16/611812353/federal-agency-investigates-tesla-crash-driver-says-car-was-on-autopilot

27 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I'm going to let Elon Musk Talk about this:

It’s super messed up that a Tesla crash resulting in a broken ankle is front page news and the ~40,000 people who died in US auto accidents alone in past year get almost no coverage https://t.co/6gD8MzD6VU

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 14, 2018

Since you're talking a British incident, let's look at Britain.

OK so as of 2016 the numbers were 1792 dead and 179,592 injured in auto accidents. But sure lets focus on one incident where someone operating a SEMI-Autonomous vehicle was not paying attention enough to prevent a crash into the back of a stopped vehicle and despite the speed of the collision managed to get out with just a broken ankle

Minutes later he added, "What's actually amazing about this accident is that a Model S hit a fire truck at 60mph and the driver only broke an ankle. An impact at that speed usually results in severe injury or death."

And before you say she might have been paying attention

she was staring at her phone when the sedan plowed into the back of a Utah fire department truck stopped at a red light.

Eventually we will get to a point of not needing to look, but even the makers of autonomous vehicles tell everyone to STAY ALERT. So when they don't stuff like this could happen. Should we stifle progress because of these people who don't pay attention? I think not. As I said was part of the current abilities, you must:

2 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

KEEP A WATCH

Now you might say, "But the accident was still caused by the car malfunctioning."

True, but people like to forget the same thing for normal vehicles

https://www.willenslaw.com/5-common-mechanical-problems-leading-to-car-accidents/

Here's a small list of common malfunctions in normal cars that can cause serious accidents, even death. 

Some common causes of car accidents include negligent and errant driver behavior combined with other factors such as bad road conditions, defective mechanical equipment, and bad weather conditions. Even though a large percentage of accidents are caused by driver error such as negligent driving, driving under the influence, distracted driving, and aggressive driving, a considerable number of car accidents are caused by mechanical defects. Today, most vehicles are manufactured to adhere to safety standards established by experts, but there are certain mechanical faults that are known to cause car accidents.

Faulty Brakes
Brake failure is one of the common mechanical defects that can lead to automobile accidents. Modern automobile technologies, such as dual brake systems, reduce the risk of mechanical failure. In case of a circuit failure, the other circuit will come into action and enable the car to brake. Another technology that has made cars safer is the anti-lock braking system that prevents the front car wheels from locking in case of an emergency.

Tire Blow Outs
Tires are much safer today than they were a few years ago. However, worn out tires and under inflated tires are a major cause of motor vehicle accidents. Faulty suspensions and improperly aligned suspensions may result in uneven tires and ultimately lead to an accident.

Faulty Steering Systems and Suspensions
If a car is traveling at a high speed and the suspension system malfunctions, it can cause a major accident no matter how experienced the driver is. In order to prevent accidents caused by mechanical failures, it is important for the driver to take preventive steps. Drivers should maintain their vehicles well and have the equipment and components tested from trained personnel at regular intervals.

Faulty Headlights and Taillights
A large percentage of car accidents occur at night compared to the day time, because of low visibility when drivers must depend on lights to be able to see. If the car has broken or dim headlights, brake lights, or taillights, then it can become extremely difficult for the motorist to see and for the other drivers to spot them. Inspect all lights regularly so as to make sure they are in perfect working order.

Malfunctioning Wipers
Driving in rain and snow can be extremely difficult and you need good quality and properly functioning wipers for safe driving. If the car’s wipers malfunction when you are driving in a snow storm or rain, you will immediately lose visibility.

@Jtalk4456

You just made my point.

If I have to keep an eye on what the car is doing, then I need controls that are intuitive. A 9" tablet with no tactile feedback *forces* me to take my eyes off the road, which goes back to the point you seem to keep missing. It's a bad design that is dangerous. Until cars are 100% autonomous, which the tesla is most certainly not, then their design choice is bad, and dangerous.

If you cannot understand the point I am making, then that is on you. I'm done trying to enlighten you.

10 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

A 9" tablet with no tactile feedback *forces* me to take my eyes off the road

Why do you think that? The controls that are required to avoid an accident are not on the tablet. You still have pedals and a steering wheel. Do you think that your ability to turn the blinker on will affect your ability to avoid a wreck? The intuitive basic controls are still there, it's only the controls not needed to avoid accidents that are placed elsewhere

On 23/06/2018 at 12:10 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, so all the jokes have played themselves out, time for a serious question:

Tesla was not the 1st electric car company, but the most flamboyant, so they've grabbed the headlines. Telsa discussion comes in one of two forms: Raving fanboys who can't/won't find a single fault with Elon or Tesla, and haters who can't find the good in the company. 

So we're going to set them aside for the moment and ask you this question...

Where does the future of electric cars lay?

Short city-runabouts, long distance drivers, or forever-niche vehicles?

We all currently understand one of the keys to mass adoption is the ability to easily recharge the car on a trip, much as you would with a gas station, but given manufacturer's unwillingness to standardize on a set power interface (for whatever reason, justified or not) this is certainly going to slow down the rollout.

On a personal note, I've driven several electric vehicles and the insistence of the car maker "to be different" (as Apple would put it) turns me right the fuck off. All the controls are different (like the 1 foot driving in the BMW i3...man is that weird), layouts go from irritating (BMW i3) to a downright dealbreaker (I'm looking at you Tesla) and I'm genuinely puzzled by this, do the car makers want to be different just for the sake of different (look at me! I'm different!) or is there some underlying reason I"m missing that the car can't be like any other car?

Dittot goes for styling. I know it's subjective but I have yet to see a good looking electric car. They go from unusual (BMW i3 again) to very unfortunate (Nissan Leaf), whatever happened to good looks here? 

It's not the manufacturers lack of unwillingness but we wouldn't have the resources to power the country on electric alone, smaller garages as well as the larger ones need modifications to work on, of which if my work changed to electric only they would have to knock the entire workshop down and rebuild a new one as we lack the space for the changes, that's not even looking into parts storage or delivery. 

Then you have the people buying the cars most people don't want to pay tax so they buy the cheapest which was small diesel engines in the UK, now its small turbo petrol engines. 

As for styling they are hitting the market that they need to hit. Electric cars are here to stay but the main issue is that it's always cheaper to stay in the car you are running as opposed to switching to all out electric on cars that haven't yet been properly tried and tested.