Any plans to split up LTT, CSF, TQ & TL videos on Floatplane?

Master Disaster

Imo it's a bit silly that 3 of the 4 channels I listed provide free content on YouTube (technically so does LTT but FP gives 1 week exclusivity) yet on FP you have to subscribe to LTT to access CSF, TQ & TL videos.

Is there any plans to split them into separate channels on Floatplane and let users sign up and watch them for free?

Imo it would help drive traffic to Floatplane if users have something they can watch for free and it also reduces clutter for LTT subscribers.

Thoughts/opinions?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Well they still don't accept PayPal balance, so I don't care that much. But I agree, giving some free content would help.

Producing the video is not free, nor is the bandwidth to deliver that video. It would be more costly to host them for free on Floatplane and doesn't make a ton of sense. You'd be asking them to take a double hit. The point of Floatplane is financial support for creators. Unless I missed something?

Goal of Floatplane is not to create traffic, it is meant to be a platform where the core community supports the creator. It is not meant to replace Youtube. I am pretty sure Foatplane team is developing infrastructure keeping this core community in mind. Increase in free traffic to the server might ruin experience for paying customers which will be counter intuitive. 

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

34 minutes ago, Rex_G said:

Goal of Floatplane is not to create traffic, it is meant to be a platform where the core community supports the creator. It is not meant to replace Youtube. I am pretty sure Foatplane team is developing infrastructure keeping this core community in mind. Increase in free traffic to the server might ruin experience for paying customers which will be counter intuitive. 

That makes no sense at all. You're basically saying they need to limit content to save server bandwidth but Floatplane is supposed to be a video sharing website. What happens if Floatplane really takes off and loads of creators start uploading videos? Do they limit creator uploads to save on bandwidth? Do they start telling users they can't watch content because servers are overloaded? No, they increase bandwidth to cope with demand.

I understand Floatplane is young and right now they probably do want to save costs wherever possible but moving forward the site has to be able to handle a lot of traffic.

The most important thing for new start ups is growth, getting eyes on the sites is the key to expansion and free content is a great way of getting new members signed up. It's very simple, without traffic the site won't survive.

Btw I didn't say do this tomorrow, I just asked if it was planned for the future.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

That makes no sense at all. You're basically saying they need to limit content to save server bandwidth but Floatplane is supposed to be a video sharing website. What happens if Floatplane really takes off and loads of creators start uploading videos? Do they limit creator uploads to save on bandwidth? Do they start telling users they can't watch content because servers are overloaded? No, they increase bandwidth to cope with demand.

I understand Floatplane is young and right now they probably do want to save costs wherever possible but moving forward the site has to be able to handle a lot of traffic.

The most important thing for new start ups is growth, getting eyes on the sites is the key to expansion and free content is a great way of getting new members signed up. It's very simple, without traffic the site won't survive.

Btw I didn't say do this tomorrow, I just asked if it was planned for the future.

But you're saying they should have a free content section, where they would have no revenue to cover those increased costs. I'm not sure where your argument is going here.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

12 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

But you're saying they should have a free content section, where they would have no revenue to cover those increased costs. I'm not sure where your argument is going here.

More members on the site means more potential customers too, you entice them with the freebies then once they join they're much more likely to subscribe to other creators.

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

We will probably split them into separate channels at some point. It's just a low priority at the moment :)

Thanks for the answer, do you guys plan to offer free content on FP or will it be subscription only?

On 6/22/2018 at 6:44 PM, Master Disaster said:

More members on the site means more potential customers too, you entice them with the freebies then once they join they're much more likely to subscribe to other creators.

I just don't think offering them for "free" is the way to go. They're free on YouTube because they are ad supported.

Do you then suggest FPM puts them up on FP for free but then have ads?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 6/22/2018 at 6:44 PM, Master Disaster said:

Floatplane is already enticing enough, you get no ads, no sponsored ads, and videos in advance while directly supporting the channel. Plus you can also download the videos and watch them offline.

Almost like Twitch Prime in a way.

Currently, Floatplane is invite-only so regardless of how many people view the site, they'd still have to be invited by LMG or FPM to actually be able to upload to Floatplane.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!