About Windows Defender

I've never really been one for anti-virus software mainly because I am extremely repelled by the marketing side of things, so when I first saw Windows 10, and with it, Windows Defender, I was like "Huh, sure thing".

Do you guys trust Windows Defender as the lone security/anti-virus software? I find I rely it 100% of the time I'm using my PC and as a result have become comfortable on it. It seems to do all it says with no strings attached.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

It still takes a hit to your system performance, but yeah, in my Windows environments Defender is all I use. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

It still takes a hit to your system performance, but yeah, in my Windows environments Defender is all I use. 

I don't mind my system being a tad bit slower if it means my PC is secure. it's a good trade-off.

It really depends on the user IMO. For everyday Joe, that just uses their computer and isn't really tech savy I still recommend using some kind of additional anti-virus protection because I don't trust them or their judgment. For tech savy people on the other hand I think Defender is enough if you watch what your doing and use common sense. It makes a computer securer, but I don't know if I'd call it secure (shit can happen to anyone really).

2 minutes ago, Tomatodude95 said:

It really depends on the user IMO. For everyday Joe, that just uses their computer and isn't really tech savy I still recommend using some kind of additional anti-virus protection because I don't trust them or their judgment. For tech savy people on the other hand I think Defender is enough if you watch what your doing and use common sense.

I am the completely the latter on this one. I trust Windows Defender enough as it is anyway.

4 minutes ago, Tomatodude95 said:

It makes a computer securer, but I don't know if I'd call it secure

Nothing really is ever secure, in truth.

1 minute ago, MiNy said:

Nothing really is ever secure, in truth.

Sure, I'm talking about reasonably secure not actually full on impenetrable. :D

I don't know what I can say on this forum but the general rule is unless you go to "bad" sites and use Edge browser you will be fine with windows defender. That being said though if you are prone to installing whatever sites and other programs tell you to, I suggest you get 1 more light weight anti-virus. 

1 minute ago, Tomatodude95 said:

Sure, I'm talking about reasonably secure not actually full on impenetrable.

This could apply for almost anything though, reasonably scure but not fully impenetrable haha There are always cracks in the castle wall ;) 

2 minutes ago, Rubin Chen said:

the general rule is unless you go to "bad" sites and use Edge browser you will be fine with windows defender.

I never venture further than surface-level social media on Chrome, with AdBlock to boot. Defender is a nice companion to have though.

It wouldn't matter if you would just...

DE-LID THAT 8600K AND PUSH IT TO 5.2GHZ.

10 minutes ago, MiNy said:

Is having Windows Defender off the key to 5.2GHz, I wonder...

JWwgeX1.gif?1

10 minutes ago, Horthal said:

I personally only really use Windows Defender since any other virus program simply impacts my computer too much. As for its performance, I find it to be quite trustworthy though I'm not wholy sure about it detecting malware too.

Yeah, anti-virus programs do impact a lot, I say from experience. I agree, it's trustworthy enough to be its own anti-virus but I also fel the same.

13 minutes ago, Horthal said:

But other than that, if you know what you're doing, don't visit obvious spam sites, Windows Defender is all you need. Though... Get another virus scanner for your elderly neighbour

Agreed, even the part about my neighbour!

It may be not so popular opinion here, but using any AV makes more problem that resolves. Even Defender can blocks programs that was fully not dangerous because of crazy heuritsics. Of course - someone may say that better safe than sorry, but come on - it's personal computer, I want to use it as I want,  not as AV software tells me to do.

Now everyone has Defender which is automatically updated, so virus creators should say "oh, I must change my hobby, everyone are so much protected these days". But reality is different - I removed lot of stupid malwares and viruses from my friends' computers and every one of them has some kind of AV installed - Defender, AVG, Bit Defender, Avast, whatever. If everyone who has win10 has Defender running, then this program is useless - all virus creators can test their stuff on machines with the same level of protection that your computer.

Is not worth to use AV that gives only false feel of safety. While virus can slow down your computer from time to time (when your computer is infected), AV slows down your computer all the time. I voted for regular system backups, not for fight with AV software.

Also - firewalls can help a lot, because they alarm you when any program wants to connect to internet. So if you're experienced user, use good firewall, check your system from time to time if you want, buy good router and disable all that AV crap.

BTW. I've read some nice article long time ago and it's still available on internet: http://exodusdev.com/blog/mike/living-dangerously-no-anti-virus-or-firewall