Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newbjumper

2 phones hard-bricked.. Is there any reason to try to fix it by baking them like Linus did?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey,

So I remember a while back when Linus fixed his dead video card here by baking it in an oven. I have a dead OnePlus 2 and LG G3, both out of warranty. I already have a new phone, but I was wondering if I can try to fix this using the same way Linus did. Should I do this?

8 hours ago, newbjumper said:

So I remember a while back when Linus fixed his dead video card here by baking it in an oven. I have a dead OnePlus 2 and LG G3, both out of warranty. I already have a new phone, but I was wondering if I can try to fix this using the same way Linus did. Should I do this?

Baking a graphics card only theoretically works because those things heat up and cool down many times in their lifespan. That can cause solder joints to break and the card stops working due to a break in the circuit. The heat from baking is an attempt to reflow the broken solder and close the circuit.

Your phone is not a graphics card. A dead component cannot be baked back to life. Baking won't reset corrupt ROM or bootloader. Your phone contains a battery and materials that can be destroyed by extreme heat.

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.