Thanks for Your Advice, Here's Attempt #2 at My 1st Gaming PC

4 minutes ago, TaylorDean16 said:

Sweet! By the way, another guy was saying to get a different case. Do you have any cases that you'd recommend? In particular, I was going for a black and red look, but not one that's too expensive. Any ideas?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Fj38TW/cooler-master-masterbox-lite-5-rgb-atx-mid-tower-case-mcw-l5s3-kgnn-02

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811146198

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811146290

A few ideas.

1 hour ago, TaylorDean16 said:

Thanks! I might upgrade to a better graphics card down the road, but this should be plenty for me right now. Since it's my first setup, I also have to worry about getting a monitor and keyboard which I probably won't worry about for a long time. And I know SSDs give faster load times, so why don't people only use an SSD as their only storage device? Is it just because storing stuff besides some games and the OS is just overkill for the price? Either way, I'll definitely look into a larger SSD.

Well the main reason is you can get 2TB on a HDD for the same price as a 256GB SSD. So cost is the main factor. To a lesser degree, SSDs have a finite amount of read/writes it can do before it dies, tho usually its very high and you can get 5-10yrs on normal use. Also, it is overkill for certain things like video/music/picture storage or older games that don't really benefit from faster load times on an SSD. Like Fallout 4 is a big offender of long load times and an SSD cuts that to about 1/3 the time. I just recommend a slightly larger SSD so you can put a few of those newer games with really long load times on it, unless that really doesn't bother you too much. Also, large open world games that stream in objects and textures on the fly will benefit a little bit as well from an SSD as it can load those assets faster, basically reducing any frame rate drops that can happen for a second when the HDD is loading in assets. 

Either way I think you will be very pleased with your new build, Good job so far!

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

4 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

Well the main reason is you can get 2TB on a HDD for the same price as a 256GB SSD. So cost is the main factor. To a lesser degree, SSDs have a finite amount of read/writes it can do before it dies, tho usually its very high and you can get 5-10yrs on normal use. Also, it is overkill for certain things like video/music/picture storage or older games that don't really benefit from faster load times on an SSD. Like Fallout 4 is a big offender of long load times and an SSD cuts that to about 1/3 the time. I just recommend a slightly larger SSD so you can put a few of those newer games with really long load times on it, unless that really doesn't bother you too much. Also, large open world games that stream in objects and textures on the fly will benefit a little bit as well from an SSD as it can load those assets faster, basically reducing any frame rate drops that can happen for a second when the HDD is loading in assets. 

Either way I think you will be very pleased with your new build, Good job so far!

I gotcha, thanks for the explanation!!!

5 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Hey man, I just finished ordering all the parts that I need for the PC! One last thing I didn't think of though is will all the parts come with all the cables I need to build it? I know they won't be some fancy light up unicorn hair braided cables, but I would hate to get all the parts in and then realize that I forgot some cables.

2 hours ago, TaylorDean16 said:

Hey man, I just finished ordering all the parts that I need for the PC! One last thing I didn't think of though is will all the parts come with all the cables I need to build it? I know they won't be some fancy light up unicorn hair braided cables, but I would hate to get all the parts in and then realize that I forgot some cables.

What did you end up ordering? Motherboards normally come with 2-4 SATA cables and the PSU will have its entire set of cables. You should have plenty to connect what you bought, just by industry standards. After you get them in, you might think to order some in different colors (Reds are pretty easy to come by) and some cable ties to match. That's, what, ~10USD of parts a week later?

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

What did you end up ordering? Motherboards normally come with 2-4 SATA cables and the PSU will have its entire set of cables. You should have plenty to connect what you bought, just by industry standards. After you get them in, you might think to order some in different colors (Reds are pretty easy to come by) and some cable ties to match. That's, what, ~10USD of parts a week later?

Oh that's actually cheaper than I thought! If you look back at my top post, You can see the latest edit that has a list of the parts I ordered as well as one more edit below saying the couple of things I changed. It's all pretty similar to the part list you read when I first made this post

19 minutes ago, TaylorDean16 said:

Oh that's actually cheaper than I thought! If you look back at my top post, You can see the latest edit that has a list of the parts I ordered as well as one more edit below saying the couple of things I changed. It's all pretty similar to the part list you read when I first made this post

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z370-TOMAHAWK/Specification

Two SATA cables in the box. You good. And black at that.

If you want Red SATA cables, let's just say you have a lot of options: 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=red+sata+cable&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

9 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z370-TOMAHAWK/Specification

Two SATA cables in the box. You good. And black at that.

If you want Red SATA cables, let's just say you have a lot of options: 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=red+sata+cable&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Oh sweet! I'm glad they aren't some weird multi colored cables. If I wanted all of my cables to be red, how many should I buy and what kinds of cables?

11 minutes ago, TaylorDean16 said:

Oh sweet! I'm glad they aren't some weird multi colored cables. If I wanted all of my cables to be red, how many should I buy and what kinds of cables?

I'd get the system setup first, then figure out what to replace with. You might want some right angle cables, but you need to make sure everything aligns first. And you know exactly what you need.

On 21.06.2018 at 6:06 PM, Jtalk4456 said:

My Case Recommendation

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/masterbox-mb600l/

part picker says it's $50 on newegg

I wouldn't go with that one - read that it's an absolute sucker for airflow (I mean the front isn't great, just look at it.)

Speaking of suckers, I'm a sucker of Phanteks and Fractal Design, so you could check them out (the Phanteks P400/P350x depending on your budget or IMO the Meshify C (much better airflow) from Fractal). You could look for alternate cases from reviewers like Hardware Canucks or Gamers Nexus or pretty much any forum. People also recommend the Enthoo Pro Midi M, although it's a bit more expensive than the other ones.

Corsair hasn't made any good budget cases lately, but you could look into the Corsair 275R (although from my perspective it doesn't have great airflow either, you'd have to read about it).

2 hours ago, Olagine said:

I wouldn't go with that one - read that it's an absolute sucker for airflow (I mean the front isn't great, just look at it.)

Speaking of suckers, I'm a sucker of Phanteks and Fractal Design, so you could check them out (the Phanteks P400/P350x depending on your budget or IMO the Meshify C (much better airflow) from Fractal). You could look for alternate cases from reviewers like Hardware Canucks or Gamers Nexus or pretty much any forum. People also recommend the Enthoo Pro Midi M, although it's a bit more expensive than the other ones.

Corsair hasn't made any good budget cases lately, but you could look into the Corsair 275R (although from my perspective it doesn't have great airflow either, you'd have to read about it).

I ended up going with this case.

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-CARBIDE-SPEC-OMEGA-Mid-Tower-Tempered/dp/B077GCKBV3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529605630&sr=8-1&keywords=Carbide+Series®+SPEC-OMEGA+Tempered+Glass+Mid-Tower+ATX+Gaming+Case&dpID=41XHNGy8YvL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

It probably doesn't have the world's best airflow, but it looks pretty cool. I actually ended up buying all the parts i needed yesterday; thanks for the recommendation though!