Can i transfer my pc from my dell optiplex 7010 to another case?

Cockasuche

hi i'm new to building a pc and i want to change cases from my dell optiplex 7010 to a segotep gaming case gank-ii v2.0, because i want to upgrade the gpu and psu of my current pc.

but i'm scared there might be problems or errors. i want to keep everything from my current pc except for the gpu and psu.

so the question is:  if i do transfer my pc to another case will there be any problems?

(my current motherboard is a dell micro atx it looks like this https://www.ebay.com/p/Dell-Optiplex-7010-Motherboard-773VG-Intel-Socket-LGA-1155/1011906328)

(the gpu that i want to get is an inno3d gtx 1060 gaming oc, and the psu is a seasonic s12ii 520w 80+ bronze)

my current pc is a dell optiplex 7010 mini tower

19 minutes ago, Cockasuche said:

hi i'm new to building a pc and i want to change cases from my dell optiplex 7010 to a segotep gaming case gank-ii v2.0, because i want to upgrade the gpu and psu of my current pc.

but i'm scared there might be problems or errors. i want to keep everything from my current pc except for the gpu and psu.

so the question is:  if i do transfer my pc to another case will there be any problems?

(my current motherboard is a dell micro atx it looks like this https://www.ebay.com/p/Dell-Optiplex-7010-Motherboard-773VG-Intel-Socket-LGA-1155/1011906328)

(the gpu that i want to get is an inno3d gtx 1060 gaming oc, and the psu is a seasonic s12ii 520w 80+ bronze)

my current pc is a dell optiplex 7010 mini tower

Unfortunately, OEM motherboards from big box suppliers like dell are often non-standard sizes, which means moving them into a new case is not always possible. Even if it fits a physical dimensional standard (like mATX like you said), it may not have mounting holes in the right places.

It's nothing too hard to fix if the case you're buying has removable standoffs and you are handy with a power drill or a Dremel. But if you want a nice easy transition, I would make 100% sure your motherboard has standard mounting holes before doing a transplant.

The front panel headers on the dell board might be incompatible with the standard header layout for your new case, so you'd need to jury rig some way of starting/resetting your machine if the old board doesn't have a silkscreen identifying the pins.

OEM boards may not always use standard pinouts for major connectors like the 24-pin header. You will want to be extremely careful if you change out the power supply that the old supply you're replacing is standards compliant and not some Dell specific part, otherwise the new one might blow up your board.

If you're 100% absolutely set on transplanting your machine to a new case and are already replacing parts, my advice would be to go the extra step of replacing your motherboard (and likely, your heatsink, unless it's the standard Intel stock cooler) with another that is compatible with your current ram and cpu. 

These are the potential problems I can think of from the top of my head, but since I haven't investigated your board specifically, I can't say for sure if any/all of these will affect you. They are definitely worth checking though, and are definitely issues people have encountered in the past trying to migrate OEM boards to standard/different chassis.

if the motherboard fits and they didn't use a proprietary front panel connector (I've personally seen that on older Dell's) then you could, but without hands on with that specific model I can't say for sure.

6 minutes ago, Cockasuche said:

@Tabs @Daniel644so i would be safe if i also change the motherboard?

Take a picture of the motherboard making sure you can see the mounting holes. Find a picture of a mATX board and compare the mounting holes. If they seem to match then you are good. Take a look at the front i/o port plug-in for the board. If they look normal then you are good. It shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to do so. If they don't look right then you will need a new board.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

I believe I have an optiplex matx (custom) build at home that I can look at later.  Can't recall exactly if it's the 7010 but I believe I got the front panel power switch to work.  That particular board is probably fine for most aftermarket cases.  Dell boards are obviously not all like that though, and you'll still be missing alot of front panel functionality.

5 hours ago, Cockasuche said:

@Tabs @Daniel644so i would be safe if i also change the motherboard?

if you wanted to be 100% sure, then yeah but at that point you are 60-70% away from a new PC as you have replaced the case, replaced teh PSU, added a GPU, it just doesn't seam wise to spend money on a board for an outdated CPU, IMHO.

Ok so speaking as someone who’s done this on a different model oltiplex and looked into the 7010 too...

youll want want to get a cable adapter for:

power button

cpu fan

sys fan

you’ll have to lose the front panel connector (2x usb2 ports, Frontpanel audio, HDD led) 

you should still have usb2 and usb3 standard ports on the mobo so you’ll still get to plug your case usb into these.

moddiy.com sells the dell adapter cables

• 4 months later...

it's your lucky day couple days ago I switch cases using the Dell Optiplex  7010  

Dell Optiplex 7010 case swap without modding the only person made a video on YouTube with this PC

45862126_2271780336225678_2683864998152765440_n.jpg

46158980_2717645201594582_981336014943420416_o (1).jpg

• 7 months later...
On 11/18/2018 at 10:14 PM, killingerk said:

it's your lucky day couple days ago I switch cases using the Dell Optiplex  7010  

Dell Optiplex 7010 case swap without modding the only person made a video on YouTube with this PC

45862126_2271780336225678_2683864998152765440_n.jpg

46158980_2717645201594582_981336014943420416_o (1).jpg

quite old post, i know...but ive got my own adventure in 7010 case swapping coming myself later today. if you you still remember, which pins for the power switch did you put the connectors? your video didnt specify...

also that "some sort of sensor"...that was just the internal speaker of the Optiplex...nothing special and unnecessary (i removed mine)

• 4 years later...
On 7/15/2019 at 9:29 AM, dragonhart6505 said:

nvm...figured it out ^_^

IMG_9713.JPG

IMG_9715.JPG

IMG_9717.JPG

What did you figure out? I am trying to do the same and seeing all of the cabling challenges.