good 120gb SSD for a good price?

HunterL
Go to solution Solved by RobFRaschke,

With NAND based drives, your performance will in large part be derived from the size of the drive, because larger drives will use more NAND chips, which means more channels of throughput from the controller to the flash. How about right on budget, faster than the Intel, and twice the size?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236393&ignorebbr=1

im building a budget gaming pc and wanted to get an ssd instead of a hard drive and just a hard drive later, i need a good ssd thats under $80 and is at least 100-120gb

ALSO should i get a 2.5in, m.2, pcie?

3 minutes ago, HunterL said:

would that m.2 ssd be compatible with this motherboard

almost 100% sure it will

AND if you need help optimizing build for price/performance i can help

5 minutes ago, HunterL said:

im building a budget gaming pc and wanted to get an ssd instead of a hard drive and just a hard drive later, i need a good ssd thats under $80 and is at least 100-120gb

ALSO should i get a 2.5in, m.2, pcie?

I would suggest looking for a used 250-500gb 850 EVO on Craiglist, eBay, or /r/hardwareswap. Your motherboard can support an M.2 SSD, but your budget doesn't quite support it.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Dude, get an Inland SSD off of Amazon. Last time I checked, 480GB was $80, and they're decent SSDs too. Not Samsung EVO, but far from the Blitzwolf and Kingdian crap.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

With NAND based drives, your performance will in large part be derived from the size of the drive, because larger drives will use more NAND chips, which means more channels of throughput from the controller to the flash. How about right on budget, faster than the Intel, and twice the size?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820236393&ignorebbr=1

Max sequential reads and writes are something most people will never see. IOPS at 1QD are your most reliable spec for how well a controller handles the random reads and writes you'll actually use. Most list IOPS at a QD of 32 which is a little further from reality since you rarely have a string of 32 small files queued up for read or write, but sequentials are done reading and writing massive single files to/from something like a ramdrive, which is just nothing like real world use.

4 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

sequentials are done reading and writing massive single files to/from something like a ramdrive

I personally run a lot of 4k games with large texture files on my m.2 so I do notice the m.2 with faster sequential works well for me.

Sandisk A400 120gb its about 40 dollars

Setup:

Name: Ryzentosh

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 570 8GB

MSI B350 PC Mate

Corsair Spec-01

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400mhz

Kingston A400 120GB

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Thermaltake Smart RGB Series 600W

Be Quite! Pure Wings 2

"I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong." ~ Murray Walker RIP

1 hour ago, itisme911 said:

I personally run a lot of 4k games with large texture files on my m.2 so I do notice the m.2 with faster sequential works well for me.

A 4096x4096 texture file(essentially the largest texture that might be used in 4K gaming, with many many, but highly unusual exceptions, with mipmaps, might be 85mb. With transfer speeds in excess of 1Gbps on m.2 nvme SSDs, you're not saturating the actual bandwidth of the drive, but possibly creating an IO queue of 10+ requests, and likely saturating any DRAM buffer on the drives because of the file size. You'll notice that as queue depth increases, up to about 16, the drives will get exponential performance increases because the controller is better able to load balance the data reads or writes from multiple nand chips.

So yes, your file size is seeing a higher performance than smaller texture files would, but not because total bandwidth available, but because of the total amount of data the games are reading at one time utilizing more of the drive at once.