Project "Caution! Overclocked" - CrossFire 7970 / X58 Extreme / Xeon / Corsair 800D

AT0MAC

Hey peeps - I recently finished my Killer Panda PC

But I actually don't know how well I did, so I need something to compare it to - therefor I have decided to build a "new" system just as "crazy" as the Killer Panda - but with all used parts from a few years back, the most bad a$$ system I can build with hardware that used to be top of the line.

This time around I will try and sort my thread and updates way better than I did in the Killer Panda, that thread got out of hand...

So for now I have and idea of all the parts and are waiting for them to arrive. This is going to be so much fun!

Will tease a little by giving you a slight idea what it's all about:

Uyxidg.png

In the end I will compare it against the Killer Panda and two other systems I own, Xeon my recording rig/streaming system, build out of awesome server grade hardware and an extraordinary dual GPU card, and my Mini3, tiny little PC build out of parts I once just had laying around but was too good to sell.

Wait and see in the coming days the parts I'm going to show you, maybe you know them, and maybe you have never seen them before, this is a journey back in time to some really great hardware.

My Gaming PC: 27833

This post will house the pictures when it's all set and done, so this is the last post to be updated on. Wait and see what comes in between, I promise it's interesting if you are into hardware

Today I received the last of my in total 3 CPUs. Why 3 CPUs you might ask - first of, I need to use a i7 920 to verify what BIOS my motherboard has installed right now, and if it's not the latest, then update it.

After that has been done, Xeons are in general way more fun from this era than the higher end i7's, so I could not decide if a W3680 or a X5675 is the way to go for high overclocks, so ended up ordering both of them and will conduct my own experiments.

0GQgbC.jpg

What CPU would you choose, W3680 or X5675??

Hey Peeps!

I will try and lift the curtain for 1 component every day until the list is empty, because I don't have time to build at the moment anyway.

Today: Motherboard!

As I showed yesterday, I will build the system around old Xeon chips that are not really build to be overclocked.

So to be able to produce a great OC result, I was thinking I need extreme cooling, and the motherboard from that generation I could find that have the most insane cooling is: Gigabyte GA-EX58 EXTREME

txLJcg.jpg

I am trying to make the pictures "old school sexy", to emphasize that these are not new parts, in this case the mb is about 10 years old.

I hope you will come here another time and look, Im slowly but steady building a pretty bad a$$ old machine here ;)

Oh yea, by the way, it IS a water cooling head on the chipset AND a big finstack similar to what you find on lower end GPUs

...I am so much going to utilize both, and absolute love the seller threw them in without extra cost (they were not mentioned on the listing I bought)

Nice, that board is almost as extreme as my EVGA SR-2

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

12 hours ago, arnavvr said:

Nice, that board is almost as extreme as my EVGA SR-2

I actually looked at that board too, but went with this one because of 1 socket and I had a hard time finding the specific RAM I was looking for, so image if I had to find even more of them to support 2 CPUs oh boy... Do you still have yours and a build around it?

Todays reveal, chassis!

Corsair Obsidian 800D, bought for what in GBP would be £24! A total insane low price, best of all, I actually got two things for that price, the other one will be revealed another day.

See a very young Linus looking at this case here - YouTube NCIX link

f2WhxN.jpg

I'm really looking forward to build in this case, it has so many very nice little details that for the time it was released was very futuristic. Stay tuned for more awesome hardware the coming days

Funny detail actually, the case is SO big I dont really have any place with a uniform background to take a picture of it - so ended up laying it down on the floor on top of my green screen and then replacing the background to something almost similar to the wood on my desk, where the other pictures are taken.

Maybe its cheating, but I want the pictures to look like they are part of the same story.

Let me update the picture in first post with the items and prices, you just need to convert the prices from Danish Kroner, DKK
We have a site called DBA, it's actually owned by eBay, but its more similar to Craigslist or such places, thats where I have bought the Corsair and some of the other parts from, else its mainly eBay.

Just wait until I tell the rest of the story what I otherwise got in the same trade, that deal is just unbelievable ;)

In fact, there is more to the story that I can reveal now, the guy who sold his 800D, sold it primarily because it was taking up space and was no longer used - and taking up space it can! I do not have a car, so it was a public transport trip, but it's a bit of a challenge when I live a little out in the country and the seller lived at the other end of Zealand (the large island here in Denmark where I live).

First I would start to carry it in my arms about 1 km to a train, a few times was asked if it was a speaker I was carrying.
On the train, a man thought I was on my way to the airport and asked if he was going to help with my suitcase.
In another train, a Russian guy sat down on the 800D, because it to him apparently looked like a piece of furniture that he could sit on and rest, I was almost starting a fight when I asked him to move, but a hard-pumped guy sat beside me and that made the Russian dude relax and go on his way, thanks for that big guy whoever you where.

So all in all, not only on the price, 800D has been a very interesting purchase so far.

: Cheers:

I have just updated the chart at the top with the 3 parts so far unveiled.

15 hours ago, AT0MAC said:

I actually looked at that board too, but went with this one because of 1 socket and I had a hard time finding the specific RAM I was looking for, so image if I had to find even more of them to support 2 CPUs oh boy... Do you still have yours and a build around it?

I still have mine, it's collecting dust, probably should sell it soon... 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Todays product: Power supply!

BLZdLI.jpg

I have found the funniest and most serious review of it here, see the madness Corsair did at the time.

I will do a, two for tuesday (like Dominos Pizza), so look forward to tuesday when I will show WHY I need this many Watts ;)

...by the way, this is the AX1200 Gold, not the newer editions with either black/red/white label or blue/black/white label - this one is gold/black/white and totally insane for it's time way back

I was just sitting here trying to figure out how I totally missed all this awesome hardware back in the days of around  2010-2013...?

Ahhhh yes! I was using Mac at that time!

Not just using a Mac, more like re-building macs and then using them, did at least two builds I got quite the attention on back in the day, first off, I made Black Mini, a black Mac Mini.(sorry the link is in danish, it's apparently the only working link left of that build)

MdGaWQ.jpg

When it got outdated I swapped it to what would end up being the worlds fastest mac mini of its time (actually it was a little bit faster than what MKBHD made a lot of noise about being the fastes mac mini of that time, I was faster)

So thats why I totally missed this period in computer history, but lets fill that void in now. :)

Follow along tomorrow when another awesome product will be revealed.

Todays product: Memory Monday, RAM!.

Not just any RAM, but a sought after item, really low budget but with a kick unheard of. I guess this is the pre-runner for Samsung B-Die.

Read a review about it here

3iyeav.jpg

I have never build with triple channel memory before, I have experience with single and dual channel, so in that context my next project should probably feature quad channel...
Also, never had a system with 12GB of RAM before, I have experience with everything from 64kilobyte (the original Commodore C64 was my first computer experience a a kid), and all the way up to 32GB, just never tried 12GB.

At the same time, I will update the excel in the beginning, so you guys can check my prices, RAM was almost the same price as it released for, because of the way RAM is priced now, and the PSU was insane! Because of mining I guess....

Follow along tomorrow for a "2 for Tuesday" deal, will reveal 2 tings tomorrow.

Im sitting here starring at water cooling parts and almost building up a headache, if water cooling was just more simple.... Almost forgot I had promised to do a 2 for tuesday, just like Dominos.

This is the reason I need a 1200 Watt PSU and also the continued story of what else I got when I bought the "new" 800D case:

MasaBO.jpg

What you are looking at is 2x Radeon 7970 - because I will run CrossFire!

The Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum with gigantic cooler, the other is right now without cooler, but it came together with a full cover EKWB water cooling block together with the 800D chassis!

Yep, it's true, I got a 800D + a 7970 incl. complete EKWB watercooling block for less than £24!

The Matrix card I won in an auction off eBay.

I got the card free of charge as the seller of the 800D liked my project, and did not have any use for the card anymore.

The EKWB is in really disgusting condition and needs a very good clean, but when that is done this should be a pretty fun experience.

My plan is that the water cooled card will sit in one of the upper PCIe slots, and then the air cooled one will sit below, where the massive cooler is not in the way for anything, so both cards are optimally cooled.

Follow along tomorrow for more old parts being revealed as we wait until I have assembled all the parts and have time to assemble it. : cheers :

Slowly crawling in on the 1 week mark since I started this crazy project.

It's almost like having a birthday or being christmas everyday, I get either a package or a letter every single day at the moment.

Today I have assembled some of the smaller accessories, to reveal a little more of my big plan:

lpHB6q.jpg

Some molex to 3-pin adapters, some 3-pin extenders, some Sata cables (wait and see, I have 3 sata items planned), a thermal pad for the graficcards (they can for sure use some new pads) and 2 different thermal pastes that should fit into the age range of components - Zalman ZM-STG1 and Arctic Silver 5. Zalman because I need quite a lot for when I am swapping CPUs around untill I find the one Im going to use in the end, I have 3 CPUs so far, so no need to use something expensive until I choose the right one. And the AS5 I am thinking I will use for the final assembly, should be the best paste at the time.

Follow along tomorrow for more reveals

3 days have passed and I have to admit to be too busy with other things, but it shouldn't stop because of that - then you just get 3 products at once!

1) WD Velociraptor 10.000 RPM HARD DRIVE 1 TB
2) 120 OCZ Agility 3 SSD boot drive
3) HP Lightscribe DVD Reader / burner

All 3 products that are very easily overlooked today but were the hottest at the time.

tU11UQ.jpg

Beside that, we have now passed the 1 week mark and I still have a ton of packages on the way, among some very interesting parts I ordered yesterday. Right now I await packages from Italy, USA, China, UK, Netherlands and Germany.

Follow along tomorrow for more reveals of my big plan.

As of now, this is the whole gang I have revealed for you:

o1KVXM.jpg

In just over 1 week, my 4 Threads (here, OCN, Bit-Tech and Danish site Tweak) I'm running simultaneously now have 2195 views. It's pretty good statistics in such a short time, will be exciting to see what happens when I actually start building.....

Thanks guys, you are part of this statistic, hope you want to comment and interact more later on in the build, thats when it gets real fun.

Hugs all around!

Today's photo - project "working title"... I have another name in mind when it's finished, but this sticker will be part of builded (like technology in general, it's called something else after it's released)

Eyyfso.jpg

Follow along tomorrow, I expect to have a somewhat more fun update in place then (I know it's a little tame today)

Oops, I did it again...

I missed one day because I'm doing too much at once - so here you get 2 products at the same time!

I GOT FANS!

kxST33.jpg

Swiftech Helix and Nidec Servo Gentle Typhoon - both old school fans with crazy much blow, not at all like they make them today, then the term quiet wasn't something that was spent a long time on.

... and don't worry, I have many more than 2 but was a little lazy and wouldn't unpack more of them.

Tomorrow I will pick up a very neat accessory for the fans, just you wait and see ;)

Oooh. This'll be interesting to keep an eye on. Though I disagree with your evaluation of those fans - the Gentle Typhoons are still excellent and quiet fans. :D Not to mention I'm fairly sure that's a late edition of the GTs, after their brief resurrection.

1 hour ago, Drunkenvalley said:

Oooh. This'll be interesting to keep an eye on. Though I disagree with your evaluation of those fans - the Gentle Typhoons are still excellent and quiet fans. :D Not to mention I'm fairly sure that's a late edition of the GTs, after their brief resurrection.

yes they are still excellent for sure, I agree. but quiet, well im not so sure, at least not right out of the box - 3000 RPM with 36dB noise....

but I have the solution already, just need to pick it up from the post office, I'm going to collect 3 packages tomorrow - only 1 of them im sure of the content (an accessory for these fans) and the other 2 im really not sure what has arrived.... Will see tomorrow...

thanks for watching, im sorry i dont have time to actually assemble it right now, im still collecting all the parts, but its quite the selection i have already so sure the result should end up being pretty interesting.

Jeez, 3000 RPM? Most people were buying AP-15s if I recall, those are whisper quiet.

10 hours ago, Drunkenvalley said:

Jeez, 3000 RPM? Most people were buying AP-15s if I recall, those are whisper quiet.

Yes, these are AP-29 ;)

I aim for raw power without fluff, from around 2013.

It needs to compete with my brand new 2018 machine, just so I can run similar tests and see in numbers how well I have done.

Did not feel like building another brand new machine, I should be able to get quite the punch for less money by going old school.

Damn it, missed again!

2 products today then. Did not get to unpack the accessory for the fans, it will come later, but I picked it up plus a few other things.

USWTmN.jpg

Todays products: ALPS 1.44MB floppy drive and a matching round Belkin cable!

BfLZqs.jpg

I know this is tech way older than 2013, but in all my machines, if I at some point want to use a floppy for running an older OS, emulators and whatnot, then this is my oldest and biggest machine - so I have space and it is not totally out of place