Control Smart TV with Home/Alexa?

Go to solution Solved by AvocadosGuac,

Just updating this OLD post incase anyone stumbles across it. The person i was setting this up for has TiVo, and tivo has IFTTT integrations. We bought a google home, and I configured it to change channel when you say "Hey Google, channel 12"

Hey all,

My coworkers dad is going blind, so is finding it difficult to use the tv remote.

Is there any way to have alexa or google assistant control the tv? I know controlling the channels will be difficult.

The TV model they currently have is a Samsung UN58H5202AF.

Any replies are appreciated,

Thanks all.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

On 6/20/2018 at 4:05 PM, Jrock said:

Hey all,

My coworkers dad is going blind, so is finding it difficult to use the tv remote.

Is there any way to have alexa or google assistant control the tv? I know controlling the channels will be difficult.

The TV model they currently have is a Samsung UN58H5202AF.

Any replies are appreciated,

Thanks all.

Not what you're asking, but there are TV remotes for the visually impaired; like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Hy-Tek-Lighted-Button-Remote-Control/dp/B000YL7X1E

40 minutes ago, FmPhenom said:

Fire tv cube

-snip-

Thank you..

Just need to figure out how the fk to get rogers to integrate this with their cable boxes. That would be great.

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

2 hours ago, Blasteque said:

Not what you're asking, but there are TV remotes for the visually impaired; like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Hy-Tek-Lighted-Button-Remote-Control/dp/B000YL7X1E

Ill see what she says about that but ill need to find one that can control volume on the TV and Channels on the Cable Box.

41 minutes ago, Jrock said:

Thank you..

Just need to figure out how the fk to get rogers to integrate this with their cable boxes. That would be great.

The fire cube is supposed to integrate itself with the cable boxes and tvs.

QUOTE THE PRODUCT PAGE:

We want you to know:

With Alexa on Fire TV Cube, you can control compatible TVs, sound bars, cable and satellite boxes, and A/V receivers from top brands like Samsung, Sony, LG, Vizio, and more. While Fire TV Cube supports a wide range of brands, the capabilities of your specific device may vary. Learn more about supported devices.

Use Alexa on Fire TV to control playback of content (play, pause, resume) in many of your favorite apps. Additionally, many apps including Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Access, SHOWTIME, NBC, and others have integrated even further with Alexa, which will allow you to browse, search, and change channels within supported apps. Voice control is getting smarter all the time.

9 minutes ago, FmPhenom said:

The fire cube is supposed to integrate itself with the cable boxes and tvs.

QUOTE THE PRODUCT PAGE:

We want you to know:

With Alexa on Fire TV Cube, you can control compatible TVs, sound bars, cable and satellite boxes, and A/V receivers from top brands like Samsung, Sony, LG, Vizio, and more. While Fire TV Cube supports a wide range of brands, the capabilities of your specific device may vary. Learn more about supported devices.

Use Alexa on Fire TV to control playback of content (play, pause, resume) in many of your favorite apps. Additionally, many apps including Netflix, Hulu, CBS All Access, SHOWTIME, NBC, and others have integrated even further with Alexa, which will allow you to browse, search, and change channels within supported apps. Voice control is getting smarter all the time.

Problem is the Fire Cube TV isn't even available on the Canadian amazon store.....

• 1 year later...

Just updating this OLD post incase anyone stumbles across it. The person i was setting this up for has TiVo, and tivo has IFTTT integrations. We bought a google home, and I configured it to change channel when you say "Hey Google, channel 12"