Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 Security Concern

Hey Guys!

So I just watched the "WHY Buy a Chinese Phone?" and I had some concerns that, if one doesn't follow current news, on China specifically, wouldn't know this information.

I'm not saying that this is true, but I have a concern, that LTT could possibly look into?  China, under the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) is a Police State.  Everything the Chinese Citizen does is monitored, everywhere they go, everything they do online, everything.  Its Scary.  One of the things that the CCP does, is control App's.  When Linus brought up the Weather App, and rightly asked why the app wanted all the permissions it didn't need, it raised some red flags, and alarm bells for me, personally. 

LTT.  One of the things you guys could do, that would be super useful is to look into the Chinese Android OS's, and if possible, look into how much personal information they are gathering, and sending back to Chinese Servers, and by extension, the Chinese Communist Party.

I don't really want to get political.  This is not the Political Post.  The only thing I will say, is that there is a difference between the Chinese People, and China, and the Chinese Communist Party.  It would be the Party that is doing this, not the People of China.

I am writing to you... from SPACE!  I live in the middle of nowhere Northern California, and have Starlink.

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900KF

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate (My PC can kick your PC's ass, apparently... According to Lyle...)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3600 C18

GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (Acquired from the Newegg Raffle program)

Storage: Samsung 970 PRO 1TB (Boot), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Samsung 860 PRO 1TB, WD Gold 10TB

Case: CM Trooper SE

As an owner of a mi max 2, I can say that the stock rom is so bad that you'll have to unlock the bootloader and flash a custom one from XDA.

IIRC the international and Chinese builds shipped with the matching device each have different levels of spying built into them as well

Root the phone (rooting Mi phones are one if not the most easiest phones to root) and install lineageOS or install Xprivacy.

Or get the EU version of Mi phones. GDPR did hit Mi in a few spots such as their YeeLight line of smart home products.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

11 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Whether or not the stock software spies on you, MIUI is pretty trash and anyone not into having an iOS simulator can easily install a custom rom

And then you get away with an absolute steal for the hardware.

Why is it that you are so afraid of Chinese espionage, when western based social media systems and ad companies are the ones more likely (probably even the only ones) to systematically farm your data to sell, to spam you with ads and manipulate your political views? You don't realize that you have already been manipulated and conditioned to have a high high degree of unwarranted skepticism about a bunch of Chinese people on the other side of the planet that want nothing to do with you.

If you feel insecure, take measures to protect yourself and dont be a useless crybaby expecting some other prominent body to coddle you. Because chances are, your country officials don't actually give a rats arse about you until they risk losing their position or your tax dollars.

Ok?  Thanks for the hostile words?  I don't feel insecure?  Your post was pretty good, down to the last paragraph where it turned insulting?  Wtf dude?

CCP espionage  is a fact.  All this post is about is concerns for spying of a foreign government (Excluding the fans of LTT who are Chinese) who farm data.  Do Company's do it?  Sure they do.  Do they also sometimes sell that data to foreign governments?  Like Facebook likely does?  Sure.  The difference is, that this IS the CCP spying on foreign users.  Not US, or EU Company's.  The Chinese Communist Party is directly, through its government owned company's.

Am I personally insecure?  Not really.  Do I own a Xiaomi Phone?  No.

Why does this post exist?  As I eluded in my original post, I'm curious as to how much personal data the CCP would gather from foreign users, in more of an intellectual exercise.  And I think it'd be a super interesting video for LTT to do.

I'm not a mod, but I request that you please keep your personal attacks on other users away from these forums.  If you want to go attack people on the internet, and be a keyboard warrior, go to 4Chan, or the Youtube Comments Section.

I am writing to you... from SPACE!  I live in the middle of nowhere Northern California, and have Starlink.

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900KF

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate (My PC can kick your PC's ass, apparently... According to Lyle...)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3600 C18

GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Ti (Acquired from the Newegg Raffle program)

Storage: Samsung 970 PRO 1TB (Boot), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Samsung 860 PRO 1TB, WD Gold 10TB

Case: CM Trooper SE

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with huilun02. Why it matters if China government is spying on you, because western corporations and governments are doing exactly same. Why making big deal if it's Chinese government. Personally I don't care either Chinese or Western corporations are collecting any data from me or spying. If you feel so unsecured and concerned about spying, you should stop using your social network profiles & Internet in general.

On 6/20/2018 at 8:08 AM, Senkon said:

Hey Guys!

So I just watched the "WHY Buy a Chinese Phone?" and I had some concerns that, if one doesn't follow current news, on China specifically, wouldn't know this information.

I'm not saying that this is true, but I have a concern, that LTT could possibly look into?  China, under the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) is a Police State.  Everything the Chinese Citizen does is monitored, everywhere they go, everything they do online, everything.  Its Scary.  One of the things that the CCP does, is control App's.  When Linus brought up the Weather App, and rightly asked why the app wanted all the permissions it didn't need, it raised some red flags, and alarm bells for me, personally. 

LTT.  One of the things you guys could do, that would be super useful is to look into the Chinese Android OS's, and if possible, look into how much personal information they are gathering, and sending back to Chinese Servers, and by extension, the Chinese Communist Party.

I don't really want to get political.  This is not the Political Post.  The only thing I will say, is that there is a difference between the Chinese People, and China, and the Chinese Communist Party.  It would be the Party that is doing this, not the People of China.

Chinese communists are Chinese. No one is going to care if you say NSA is an American agency and not American people. Foreign governments and foreigners will just say Americans are spying on them(which is true according to Snowden) 

Why would you care if foreign governments are spying on you? I would be more concern if the domestic government is spying on me. Unlike Chinese, they can actually ship me off to   Guantanamo. 

Sudo make me a sandwich