GameStop are looking for a buyer

Master Disaster

It's been reported today that GameStop are in talks and currently looking for someone to buy the company, this comes after the company closed 150 stores and has seen sales fall year on year.

It’s been a little while since we have spoken about Gamestop (NYSE:GME 15.75 0.04%) directly. Indeed, it was a little over a year ago. Early last year we covered the companies 2016 fiscal year where the company announced the closure of over one hundred and fifty stores.  A few months later came Gamestop’s Q1 results of 2017. Even then the company was on a downward trend, something that appears to have continued.

GameStop made the following statement earlier today.

GameStop Corp. today confirmed it is in exploratory discussions with third parties regarding a potential transaction. There can be no assurance any agreement will result from these discussions. GameStop does not intend to make any additional comments regarding these discussions unless and until it is appropriate to do so.

It's been a dismal 5 years for GameStop, in that period their share price has fallen from ~$50 to ~$10 and they've seen multiple CEOs come and go however following this announcement their share price has risen by ~3%.

Of course, there is no certainty of a buyout, the news has made a direct impact on the share price of Gamestop. The potential of a buyout has seen shares rise 12% since rumours first arose yesterday. The unveiling of these talks has seen prices rise by 3% so far for the day.

There’s little surprise that Gamestop is looking at options. The companies fortunes have been falling for a while now. This was made even clearer in May with CNBC reporting the resignation of CEO Michael Mauler. In addition to this, the hedge fund Tiger Management sent a letter to the board urging them to “launch a strategic review and revive shareholder confidence in the sustainability of the GameStop business model”

In five years, Gamestop’s shares have fallen from $56.53 at the end of November 2013, to lows of $12.46 following the earlier reported news in May.

https://wccftech.com/gamestop-in-talks-for-potential-buyout/

http://news.gamestop.com/news-releases/news-release-details/gamestop-confirms-exploratory-discussions-third-parties

Nobody in their right mind would buy this business model, brick & mortar video game shops are almost a dead relic of the past at this point. Rich from Review Tech USA showed a nice graph showing how in 2007 physical sales were at 70% and now in 2017 physical sales were 20%.

The only way this business can survive is if someone guts it's and does a HUGE restructure, and even then they'll still struggle to compete with the already big players. It's another Blockbuster video story, once the biggest in the business but they failed to notice the change coming and got left behind.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

They would have to give me money for me to take it off their hands...

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

"Il give you $10 for that game stop"

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Nobody in their right mind would buy this business model, brick & mortar video game shops are almost a dead relic of the past at this point. Rich from Review Tech USA showed a nice graph showing how in 2007 physical sales were at 70% and now in 2017 physical sales were 20%.

I miss physical editions of PC games. I bought physical copies up to the point where it became practically impossible due to brick & mortar stores closing down or ceasing to stock PC titles due to digital distribution becoming more popular. I understand why the shift happened, but I still feel sad about it.

I have always loved physical copies of games. I have a collection of Wii games that I love but I sadly don't get physical PC games due to the fact that I lack a DVD drive, downloads off DVDs take far longer than digital and there's not enough games on the DVD format at my local Gamestop to bother going physical (most new physical PC games come with a code to activate it on platforms like Steam so you can't use the same game on multiple systems which I found inconvenient). I have the odd PC DVD-ROM lying about but they're old so compatibility is usually a problem.

My Main PC

CPUIntel Core i5 6600K CPU Cooler - Corsair H80i v2 Motherboard - ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 GAMING ITX/AC RAM - 1x HyperX FURY 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 GPU - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Founders Edition  Storage - 1x HyperX FURY 120GB SSD, 1x WD Blue 1TB 2.5" HDD, 1x WD Black 330GB 2.5" HDD Power Supply - EVGA Supernova 650W G3 Case - Silverstone SUGO SG13B

If they had more games for old consoles and paid a fair price for used games I would probably go there. Right now the only thing they offer is games priced the same or higher than an instant download and some mediocre accessories. It's no wonder they're going out of business slowly. 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

Same end as Blockbuster xd....

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I mean I always found best buy to be much better with return policys than gamestop so even when I did buy console games I would always choose best buy over them. I mean it kinda makes sense why they went out of business as they don't really offer anything of value over digital copies or even other physical retailers that sell games. 

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I saw this too but I think the graph is disingenuous as it included PC game sales. And for a long long time PC game sales, especially with steam, are digital.

I want to see this graph Exclude pc games. I feel like it would look very different.  

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

My closest EBGames locations saw major changes since GameStop bought ThinkGeek. It went from an 80-20 video game/geek stuff ratio to something like 70/30 geek stuff/video game ratio. It's pretty depressing to look at from a video game collector perspective. I'm on the Switch full set quest and finding "rarer" release day titles or stuff you know is only getting a single print in an EBGames is getting harder nowadays. I absolutely need to rely on preordering/buying online otherwise I would not find anything out there beside Mario Odyssey, BotW or Just Dance. It's the same at WalMart and Best Buy in my area. Funny enough, TRU got a decent selection but I rarely see any deals.

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

6 hours ago, Daiyus said:

I miss physical editions of PC games. I bought physical copies up to the point where it became practically impossible due to brick & mortar stores closing down or ceasing to stock PC titles due to digital distribution becoming more popular. I understand why the shift happened, but I still feel sad about it.

Agreed. I actually ordered the physical versions of battlefield from Origin before they turned off that option. Something about having a physical collection that is different.

7 hours ago, Daiyus said:

Maybe its because its just insert disk and play? I mean, a lot of video games nowadays are more than 50GBs and I remember battlefront 2 being closer to 80GBs.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Its kinda sad that sharing the game store experience with my kids has been relegated to my living room and a digital purchase. 

Lets play connect the dots!

::::::::::

3 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

I saw this too but I think the graph is disingenuous as it included PC game sales. And for a long long time PC game sales, especially with steam, are digital.

I want to see this graph Exclude pc games. I feel like it would look very different.  

I don't see how that changes anything, GameStop are in the video games business and PC games are still video games. You can't ignore PC games entirely simply because the platform has more of a tendency to prefer digital sales over physical sales.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

maybe they can trade in the company for a handshake and 300$ instore cedit at the bank 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

3 hours ago, Tribalinius said:

My closest EBGames locations saw major changes since GameStop bought ThinkGeek. It went from an 80-20 video game/geek stuff ratio to something like 70/30 geek stuff/video game ratio. It's pretty depressing to look at from a video game collector perspective. 

The same applies to audio CD retailers. You have so many selling posters, figures, even board games for crying out loud. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

maybe they can trade in the company for a handshake and 300$ instore cedit at the bank 

Purchase your local GameStop location today for just $299.99 !

Terms and Conditions Apply*

* You agree to inherit all our debt and pay the debtors all the money we owe them. gl hf. :D

</Joke>

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Nah but seriously, it's about time. They've been struggling for quite a while.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

17 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Purchase your local GameStop location today for just $299.99 !

Terms and Conditions Apply*

* You agree to inherit all our debt and pay the debtors all the money we owe them. gl hf. :D

</Joke>

It might end up one of those $1/£1 deals tbh

34 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I don't see how that changes anything, GameStop are in the video games business and PC games are still video games. You can't ignore PC games entirely simply because the platform has more of a tendency to prefer digital sales over physical sales.

Gamestop does not cater to physical pc sales outside maybe 10 boxes they keep on a shelf. This has been true for most of gamestops existance since the PS3/360/Wii era. So Gamestops total physical sales did not significantly include pc games, thus the number of pc games purchased online is largely irrelevant when considering gamestop physical sales and its decline over time.

Thus a graph that excludes pc sales in necessary to properly gauge the reduction in sales for gamestop.

4 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Gamestop does not cater to physical pc sales outside maybe 10 boxes they keep on a shelf. This has been true for most of gamestops existance since the PS3/360/Wii era. So Gamestops total physical sales did not significantly include pc games, thus the number of pc games purchased online is largely irrelevant when considering gamestop physical sales and its decline over time.

Thus a graph that excludes pc sales in necessary to properly gauge the reduction in sales for gamestop.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm from England so we don't have GameStop and our equivalent (which I believe is part of the same group) do sell PC games.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm from England so we don't have GameStop and our equivalent (which I believe is part of the same group) do sell PC games.

Ah fair enough. Even on gamestops website ,outside of physical editions that include statues or other goods, there are very, very few physical pc games available to purchase. And of those only the larger triple A titles are available. Even less so in stores.