Is the Uber Credit Card phone protection really as good as it seems?

Xanthe_2871

As I understand it, I can sign up for the Uber Credit card, change my T-Mobile autopay to use the Uber card, and I get 2 phone repairs for up to $600, each costing $25 a pop. 

Yeah, the fine print says they have to be on that plan and damaged within 90 days, but for those who aren't 100% perfect with their morals, really how would they know? Pop in a T-Mo sim from a line I'm not using, say I dropped it last week, how would they know or care? Assuming the phone still turns on and can download messages... 

Meanwhile I drop and break phones a ton. I have like, $1400 worth of repairs across 5 phones right now. Phone's just sitting in a drawer. I could get this card and fix two of them a year for $50. Really? That sounds so amazing, what am I missing here?

Even ignoring the morality part, I could easily activate each of those phones on my plan and, um, *drop* them again... I would think that should count since even by Uber's rules that would be kosher. And even then, I probably break another phone each year anyways.

And it even covers theft up to $600!?! I wouldn't lie about a phone being stolen, my morals aren't that bad, but I have had two phones stolen before. I could get this card, wait until near the end of the year in case of theft or damage to a phone I am actually using, then near the end of each year file any unused claims on my backlog of drawer phones. Right?

Please tell me if there is something I am not seeing here, this seems too good to be true.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

2 minutes ago, Snipergod87 said:

Maybe you should stop dropping/breaking phones?

Cases add unacceptable thickness when you carry 4-6 phones daily. ?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

1 hour ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Why are you carrying that many?

Also if you're on a prepaid plan you're not covered

• Cell phones which have been rented, borrowed or are part of pre-paid or “pay as you go” type plans

Plus you're literally asking us about insurance fraud...

Which is hilariously covered too:

• Damage or theft resulting from abuse, intentional acts, fraud, hostilities of any kind (including, but not limited to, war, invasion, rebellion, or insurrection), confiscation by the authorities, risks of contraband, illegal activities, normal wear and tear, flood, earthquake, radioactive contamination, or damage from inherent product defects

So you could get away with it (technically) for the first one, but they would likely question it on the second.

My suggestion is swallow your pride don't buy the curved screens like S8/S9, buy a rubber and let your phone have some safe physical interaction with clearly it's best friend, the ground :$

31 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Why are you carrying that many?

Also if you're on a prepaid plan you're not covered

Plus you're literally asking us about insurance fraud...

Which is hilariously covered too:

So you could get away with it (technically) for the first one, but they would likely question it on the second.

My suggestion is swallow your pride don't buy the curved screens like S8/S9, buy a rubber and let your phone have some safe physical interaction with clearly it's best friend, the ground :$

Thanks for the info! A few things:

Even without the back log of phones I've already broken, I will easily use at least one credit a year for phones genuinely used on my postpaid T-Mobile plan broken right then and there.

I see nothing in the clause that would actually serve to identify a fraudulent claim. I'm not deliberately smashing phones, and since all 5 currently broken still work, I could claim the damage occurred whenever I want. Plus, like I said in my post, I could damage them a second time after getting the card, again not on purpose, if I start using them again they will almost certainly break further at some point, and then even by their rules it should still count...

I carry so many because I use them for different things. Currently:

• My current main phone, a Moto Z2 Force. It has my premium One+ International add on. I use it heavily, making calls to the UK and teathering data often. Well over the 10 GB allotment of the free One+ PROMO T-Mobile used to offer, and which I have on some of my lines.
  • My secondary phone is an Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom. It is a "High Speed Data w/ Paired DIGITS" line. It's a backup for when my main phone dies or gets slowed down (I go past T-Mobile's 50 GB deprioritization threshold in like, 5 or 6 days most months, and this line gets it's own 50 GB bucket). It gets all the same calls and texts as my primary phone.
  • My tertiary phone, a Google Pixel first gen. It gets unlimited data, and since it's a free line, I don't need to worry about Kickback (a program T-Mobile used to offer on ONE plans where lines using less than 2GB of data get $10 off per month). This is primarily my dash cam. It records video at 4K which gets saved in my Google Photos for free, at 4K, uncompressed (well it has whatever compression .mp4 does but no additional compression by Google) plus unlimited data for backing up those massive files without slowing down my home WiFi. This line alone often nears or passes 1TB a month in data usage. ?
  • My 4th phone is currently an LG G6. I keep it for the wide angle camera and because it's the only one out of the 4 phones I carry daily to have native DIGITS functionality. I use it for my spam and alias phone numbers, free from T-Mobile. The DIGITS app is pretty trash, but on the G6 I get all the calls and texts to those additional numbers just like I would from the phone's SIM number. It's great.
  • Then I have other phones I sometimes carry. During E3 I had my LG V30+. It's one of those drawer phones. I try not to take them out and use them because the damage will get worse over time, especially if they get wet. I used it during E3 because it's normally an unused free line on my account, and it gave me an extra 50 GB to play with; all my other lines were super slow at the show because they are past that threshold.
  • I sometimes carry my iPhone SE, since some apps and services are iOS only. I don't actually know where it is right now, probably somewhere in my room. 
  • I have other phones I mostly don't use but sometimes carry for different reasons, because they have some file I'm too lazy to move off that phone, or because they have a special camera, or because I want to show them to someone, or because I feel like it. I have more than 50 phones in total, about 15 that are nice, middle tier or higher, and able to work on T-Mobile if I choose. Today I had 8 on me so I could get a bunch of the free sunglasses at T-Mobile.

38 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

You're literally asking us about insurance fraud.

About just this part, I understand it's Illegal and immoral, so trying to, um, make it ok:

If I took a cracked but functional phone, and just used it like I normally would, then honestly accidentally damaged it further, it getting wet or falling enough times to break the LCD, etc, would THAT be kosher legally and morally? ?

Now we're fixing a functional issue that is new and occurred while the phone was being used on the plan my card is being charged for, during the time I have the card, while simultaneously repairing cosmetic damage which existed previously.

3 hours ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

About just this part, I understand it's Illegal and immoral, so trying to, um, make it ok:

If I took a cracked but functional phone, and just used it like I normally would, then honestly accidentally damaged it further, it getting wet or falling enough times to break the LCD, etc, would THAT be kosher legally and morally? ?

Now we're fixing a functional issue that is new and occurred while the phone was being used on the plan my card is being charged for, during the time I have the card, while simultaneously repairing cosmetic damage which existed previously.

I would call that creatively stretching the (il)legal limits.

18 hours ago, Christophe Corazza said:

I would call that creatively stretching the (il)legal limits.

Yeah I'm not sure. They are fully functional, but I know they will break sooner than they would otherwise if I use them as they are. 

It's actually still insurance fraud because the original function or integrity of the device was compromised on the date of initial damage. But I don't personally care what you do, or if you get caught and sued later, or not.

And seriously, you didn't get the 4G/LTE backwards compatibility on your cybernetics before coming back? That's a serious lack of forethought. You deserve having to carry 4+ primitive communication devices, but they should still have some kind of case. I've got a Z2 Force, it's in an OtterBox most of the time, but I found an edge only black bumper case that adds no thickness, and negligible dimensions for when I'm using my motomods. It was about $10 on Amazon.

On 6/19/2018 at 8:21 PM, Xanthe_2871 said:

Dbrand grip is pretty good but no screen protection