Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
COTG

Worth to repair 2013 MBP?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello guys,

Im writing this forum post because Im not sure which course of action to take. In early september I am going to start college, and will need a laptop. However, I dropped my old mac book pro and broke its screen. Its the 15 inch early 2013 model, with a 2.7 GHz 4 core processor, 16GB of ram and a nvidia 650m gpu. Additionally, the battery life on it has become horrible. My question therefore is wether it is worth to replace its screen and battery, and how much this would potentially cost, or if I should just purchase a new mac book outright. 

Thank you guys in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, COTG said:

Hello guys,

Im writing this forum post because Im not sure which course of action to take. In early september I am going to start college, and will need a laptop. However, I dropped my old mac book pro and broke its screen. Its the 15 inch early 2013 model, with a 2.7 GHz 4 core processor, 16GB of ram and a nvidia 650m gpu. Additionally, the battery life on it has become horrible. My question therefore is wether it is worth to replace its screen and battery, and how much this would potentially cost, or if I should just purchase a new mac book outright. 

Thank you guys in advance

First off, don't buy Apple products (opinion, do what you will). Second, I know close to nothing about laptop repair costs. If you want to go the repair route you'd be best off taking a DIY approach. I'd compare the cost of the components and ease of repair vs cost of new laptop


Primary PC: Lazarus https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Pf6fBb (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: *name pending*https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bz62P3 (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)
Oher PCs:          

*name pending* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nknj6s (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, Nvidia GeForce 2 MX400 (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Office PC: *Asus M32AD* - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU

In progress project PCs:

*name pending* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*name pending* - AMD A4-6300

*name and purpose pending* - AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, Asus Strix1070

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The usual choice is to not fix any MBP after warranty expires because the repair bill makes you cry.


CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, COTG said:

Hello guys,

Im writing this forum post because Im not sure which course of action to take. In early september I am going to start college, and will need a laptop. However, I dropped my old mac book pro and broke its screen. Its the 15 inch early 2013 model, with a 2.7 GHz 4 core processor, 16GB of ram and a nvidia 650m gpu. Additionally, the battery life on it has become horrible. My question therefore is wether it is worth to replace its screen and battery, and how much this would potentially cost, or if I should just purchase a new mac book outright. 

Thank you guys in advance

Replacing the panel and the battery on an early 2013 mbp will be about $500 for the display, $250 for the battery (including any component level rework) from a high quality third party repair shop like rossmanngroup.com.

 

You should ask yourself whether the machine is worth $500-$750+ to repair to you, or whether buying a new machine for a similar price could be a better idea. You can call rossmanngroup.com from the number on their site to get a free estimate, it's probable that getting both parts exchanged at once is cheaper than each individually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, Tabs said:

Replacing the panel and the battery on an early 2013 mbp will be about $500 for the display, $250 for the battery (including any component level rework) from a high quality third party repair shop like rossmanngroup.com.

 

You should ask yourself whether the machine is worth $500-$750+ to repair to you, or whether buying a new machine for a similar price could be a better idea. You can call rossmanngroup.com from the number on their site to get a free estimate, it's probable that getting both parts exchanged at once is cheaper than each individually.

Thank you for your quick answer and

estimate. If it comes out to anywhere below 900$ I will probably just fix it since a new one would cost me around double and I hope that by the time I do definitively need a new mac book apple will have done something abound that new keyboard issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, Eastman51 said:

First off, don't buy Apple products (opinion, do what you will). Second, I know close to nothing about laptop repair costs. If you want to go the repair route you'd be best off taking a DIY approach. I'd compare the cost of the components and ease of repair vs cost of new laptop

Haha Im aware of the hate for apple products because of their awefully overpriced products but I still prefere the mac os over windows for productivity since it is so easy to use. Thank you for your answer and I will definitely look into the DIY option as well to see if there is any significant price difference to repairing it professionally.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say no. Even Apple itself when you fill in the give-back form values these notebooks with 0.- (https://www.apple.com/chde/trade-in/)

Notebooks and screens are a story on its own - I encountered notebooks of friends (same model!) that had different screen panel connectors.

But if you are happy with the overall performance of such an older device you may be able to find a used one in reasonable shape. Apple just released updated Mac Book Pros so some people may trade their older ones. If it wasn't the screen. I replaced the wlan adapter of my MacBook Pro. After opening it up I would even consider replacing the mainboard. Maybe not the battery - too scared. But the Screen? Any mistake you make will be visible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×