Wake on LAN over internet

Alesek

Hello, is there a way to wake on LAN a pc over the internet without having a public IP or a secondary PC on the network?

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

6 minutes ago, Alesek said:

Hello, is there a way to wake on LAN a pc over the internet without having a public IP or a secondary PC on the network?

Connect to your internal network to a VPN. Then connect your remote to the device.

And when I say VPN, I mean a proper Virtual Private Network, not route-all-traffic-through-in-order-to-hide-tracks. Meaning these public VPN services will not fit.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

6 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Connect to your internal network to a VPN. Then connect your remote to the device.

And when I say VPN, I mean a proper Virtual Private Network, not route-all-traffic-through-in-order-to-hide-tracks. Meaning these public VPN services will not fit.

don't I need a server to run my own VPN?

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

1 hour ago, Alesek said:

don't I need a server to run my own VPN?

Some routers can run their own VPN services.

You can also use free dynamic DNS solutions like no-ip.com so you don't have to write down / memorize your IP. If you run their agent it will pull your IP address and update automatically.

Lot of wireless routers these days offer some sort of VPN service. Also possible your wireless router might be compatible with dd-wrt or tomato, which will give you both WOL abilities and VPN.

WOL I believe is a special type of broadcast packet, since it uses a MAC Address instead of an IP. Which will likely get removed by any ISP gateway as soon as you try. So unfortunately there isn't any way to use WOL over WAN.

15 hours ago, jj9987 said:

snip

13 hours ago, newgeneral10 said:

snip

13 hours ago, Mikensan said:

snip

I am confused, even if I manage to set up VPN through my router, don't I need a public IP or at least some forwarded ports from my ISP to be able to connect to it?

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

12 hours ago, Alesek said:

I am confused, even if I manage to set up VPN through my router, don't I need a public IP or at least some forwarded ports from my ISP to be able to connect to it?

I'm not sure how you're imagining it. Since I don't really know what you're sending a WOL packet to, lets assume a computer.

If you connect to the VPN, you will be "behind" your firewallr/outer, thus when you send a WOL packet it will turn on your computer.

If you want to send a WOL computer from say Work to your computer at Home - it will never work. The WOL packet only has a MAC Address, which is not routable over the internet. You need to get onto the same network as the device you want to send a WOL packet to, and this is usually done by VPN/SSH or somehow remotely connecting.

You could do the worst thing possible and expose your router/firewall to the internet, log into the web console, and send the WOL packet.

Work > VPN > HomeRouter >> WOL Packet > Computer.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:04 AM, Alesek said:

You would need to host a VPN in a location that has a public IP (a VPS from DigitalOcean/AWS for example). Then connect your local network to that VPN and advertise your network to the VPN. When you connect remotely to the VPN, then you can access your home network from the outside.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Thanks for the info!! I am gonna solve it by getting a raspberry pi on the network to send the WOL. It seems like the easiest solution 

5900X

MSI MEG X570 Unify

RTX 3080

Dark Base Pro 900

Corsair RM1000i

I had the same issue/question as you and I bought a Mikrotik router.

Using DDNS from my ISP I connect directly to it via Winbox and from the router terminal I send magic packet in my local network.

RANT : of course Microsoft screwed WOL on Win10 but that is that