Router Or Modem ?

I want a wireless connection , which of the two has the best and whats the core difference?

Also , recommend me one below 60$ .

My internet spikes for no reason , and our router is about 5-6 years old , it gets extremely hot throughout the day , it only has one antenna and it is from a company thats prob shut down for years now...

So most likely its the moder or router or whatever it is that causes this problem...

As seen in the pictures theres a cable in the wall , if i want to buy a new on , do i just plug that off and put the other router's one?

image.png.328e56f610c8f4cefbcedac3226ebb9f.png

image.png.8c1a48edc9863ffd0bf1f6e5797954ab.png

Asus Wireless AC1200 Dual-Band Router ($60)

I personally don't have this router but I have a few models up. I've never really had an issue with it and it is a solid brand with solid and regularly updated firmware. This one has both 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz bands. With you wanting to use strictly wireless with your PC, the 5 GHz band would serve you well. I'm not sure what internet speeds you are at but the 1,200 Mb/s should do fine for you I would assume.

8 minutes ago, Spaceman_Wil said:

I personally don't have this router but I have a few models up. I've never really had an issue with it and it is a solid brand with solid and regularly updated firmware. This one has both 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz bands. With you wanting to use strictly wireless with your PC, the 5 GHz band would serve you well. I'm not sure what internet speeds you are at but the 1,200 Mb/s should do fine for you I would assume.

how do i know if i can run 5 GHz ? my wifi adapter is GC-WB867D-I (rev. 4.2) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Let's start with the terminology.

Modem is the device to encode/decode the incoming signal. This is needed when you are using DSL connection.

Router is the device that handles internet connection between your home and the world.

Some routers have DSL modem built-in. You can't go out and buy any router and expect it to work on your connection.

Start out by determining what type of connection you have - ADSL, VDSL, VDSL2, fiber or something else? Then we can start looking for a suitable router.

11 minutes ago, Spaceman_Wil said:

1200 Mbps is theoretical maximum for all clients combined. WiFi is half-duplex, so we have 600 Mbps up and 600 Mbps down, for all clients combined. Still need to deduct the overhead and some other factors.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

7 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

WiFi is half-duplex, so we have 600 Mbps up and 600 Mbps down, for all clients combined.

That's not really a true value for throughput but if you want a very rough ballpark for what to shoot for it works.

OP for DSL you'd need a DSL modem component and a router component.  Some devices are combined.  Do you know your PPPoE authentication string?  You will need those credentials to configure on another device.

What's the specific model of the device you have?

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

46 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Let's start with the terminology.

Modem is the device to encode/decode the incoming signal. This is needed when you are using DSL connection.

Router is the device that handles internet connection between your home and the world.

Some routers have DSL modem built-in. You can't go out and buy any router and expect it to work on your connection.

Start out by determining what type of connection you have - ADSL, VDSL, VDSL2, fiber or something else? Then we can start looking for a suitable router.

1200 Mbps is theoretical maximum for all clients combined. WiFi is half-duplex, so we have 600 Mbps up and 600 Mbps down, for all clients combined. Still need to deduct the overhead and some other factors.

Based off what he has pictured, that looks like just a router to me, I assumed he meant router.

Nija Edit: And I base that off of him just having ethernet and power connected to the assumed router

2 hours ago, beersykins said:

OP for DSL you'd need a DSL modem component and a router component.  Some devices are combined.  Do you know your PPPoE authentication string?  You will need those credentials to configure on another device.

Might not necessarily use PPPoE for DSL. Some providers use DSL (or VDSL, to be specific) with DHCP and no authentication.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

2 hours ago, Spaceman_Wil said:

Based off what he has pictured, that looks like just a router to me, I assumed he meant router.

Nija Edit: And I base that off of him just having ethernet and power connected to the assumed router

The cable shown is an RJ-11 cable which is different from RJ-45. It's for phone and DSL.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

57 minutes ago, Lurick said:

The cable shown is an RJ-11 cable which is different from RJ-45. It's for phone and DSL.

Gotcha. Honest question, what identified it in the pictures as an RJ-11?

1 minute ago, Spaceman_Wil said:

Gotcha. Honest question, what identified it in the pictures as an RJ-11?

Size of the plug and the skinny flat wire

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Size of the plug and the skinny flat wire

Gotcha. I didn't even think of that. I personally have flat ethernet cables so I assumed it was one of those. Nice catch regardless!

2 minutes ago, Spaceman_Wil said:

Gotcha. I didn't even think of that. I personally have flat ethernet cables so I assumed it was one of those. Nice catch regardless!

Yah, had to double check the size of the cable in the picture since flat ethernet cables look similar.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: