Strange problem with my wi-fi connection

journeycookiespossibly

Hi everyone, there is a very weird problem with my wi-fi connection

I have two devices: a laptop running Arch Linux and a desktop machine running Windows 10. Both lose the wi-fi connection randomly, even pinging the local IP of the router fails (request timed out). Despite that, the signal seems strong (both devices show maximum amount of bars) and the wi-fi itself doesn't disconnect, just stops transmitting data. Sometimes instead of disappearing completely, the connection just becomes really slow (even pinging the router's IP takes 1300-4000ms). The problem just goes away by itself after some time.

I tried to create a hotspot using a Raspberry Pi connected to the router via an ethernet cable, but the result is the same: sometimes the connection to the router just drops randomly, whereas the ping from Raspberry Pi to the router remains stable. 

Obvious things that did not help:

- reinstalling drivers

- changing the network type to b, b/g, b/g/n, etc.

- changing the wi-fi channel

- changing the SSID

- moving the router a little bit closer (it's about 8 meters away from the devices anyway, so i don't think the position of the router is the problem here)

Also,

- there is no MAC filtering, parental control, throttling functionality that is currently enabled

- the router is working at 2.4Ghz

What is the problem? Is my house cursed by some kind of wi-fi hating demon? Any help is appreciated!

Is this an apartment-condo? Are there any higher-power devices nearby, like e.g. microwaves, or a construction-yard closeby, that could cause interference? Have you tested with another router/access-point?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

8 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Is this an apartment-condo?

No, but the house is kind of old, and the walls are thick, i have problems with cellular connection, too. I just don't use 3G at home, bc i have Wi-fi, so that's not a problem

9 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Are there any higher-power devices nearby, like e.g. microwaves, or a construction-yard closeby

Yeah, i do have a microwave, but it's not running 24/7, obviously. No construction-yards that i'm aware of.

10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Have you tested with another router/access-point?

Yeah, i have a Raspberry Pi that i tried to use as an access point, same result. 

It does sound to me like interference, but I can't think off the top of my head of anything obvious that could be causing it. I still think it'd be a good idea to borrow a buddy's router and trying with it (double-checking is almost never a bad idea), instead of the RPi, and if the issue persists then it's pretty clearly interference and you should start looking for something that could be causing it. If, on the other hand, the issue disappears when using another router, then it's time to ditch the router.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

might be a stupid answer but tried rebooting the router? i know routers are build for 24/7 operation but especially the cheaper units like beeing rebooted from time to time

1 minute ago, karsnoordhuis said:

might be a stupid answer but tried rebooting the router? i know routers are build for 24/7 operation but especially the cheaper units like beeing rebooted from time to time

Tried it multiple times