Internet speed modifiable?

SamoBomb

So if anyone with knowledge hcan let me know what's going on that would be great. So we pay for 5 mbits download, and that's what we get, but when I unplug my internet cable out of my router and straight into my pc I get speeds of 15mbits to 30mbits althout if you give it enough time it wants to stick around 15-17 why can I get more speed then what I'm paying for? WHAT!? How does this work, and how would I be able to exploit the system weakness or loophole, and is it illegal to exploit? Please answer with good information and not just saying how I should end do this and sorry for being a noob.?

Just be happy. Sometimes your neighbors aren't using too much bandwidth and your ISP just lets you use a bit more.

Think of the "up to 5mbps" less as a "I will get 5mbps" but rather "I'm more important than the people with 4mbps, but less important than the people with 6"

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

27 minutes ago, NoRomanBatmansAllowed said:

Just be happy. Sometimes your neighbors aren't using too much bandwidth and your ISP just lets you use a bit more.

Think of the "up to 5mbps" less as a "I will get 5mbps" but rather "I'm more important than the people with 4mbps, but less important than the people with 6"

No, I'm wondering what exactly is happening that I'm getting more speed then I'm paying for (I have an ok amount of knowledge but not very much when it comes to understanding how the internet actually works) when I plug the internet cable into my pc, I have a ok ISP but they are not going to give me more speed then what I pay for, if anything its always a bit less so if I pay for 5 it typically get 4.5 on a good day lots of the time I get 3, but I live in the country so I don't have options. Oh ya and I pay the outrageous price on 80$ a month for that unstable 5mbits 

2 hours ago, SamoBomb said:

So if anyone with knowledge hcan let me know what's going on that would be great. So we pay for 5 mbits download, and that's what we get, but when I unplug my internet cable out of my router and straight into my pc I get speeds of 15mbits to 30mbits althout if you give it enough time it wants to stick around 15-17 why can I get more speed then what I'm paying for? WHAT!? How does this work, and how would I be able to exploit the system weakness or loophole, and is it illegal to exploit? Please answer with good information and not just saying how I should end do this and sorry for being a noob.?

My ISP Comcast over provisions speeds by 20%. Meaning I get 20% more than I pay for. Some ISP's just do that. Your router most likely is causing the slow down. Your not going to get in to any trouble, its your ISP that provisions the modem with the speed tier, not you. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

What router are you using?  Sounds more like you're limited by that device than a particular ISP policy.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

16 hours ago, beersykins said:

What router are you using?  Sounds more like you're limited by that device than a particular ISP policy.

A netgear WNDR4500